LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Aluminum Oil Filter Housing Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-15, 06:54 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by hfahmy
Why do you all think Lexus did not use this metal filter housing in the 460/600?
They may have used them on a later build, I don't really know. From my research I read somewhere that the housing is a redesign.
Old 10-07-15, 07:05 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Any one with 13-15 460 did oil change and can tell us if the oil filter housing metal or not?
Old 10-07-15, 08:32 PM
Devh
Racer

This is a very good read. Keep in mind that my conclusions were blind but having read further then I did initially some of the posters comments were exactly what I experienced.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...cap-durabilty/
Old 10-07-15, 10:25 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Excellent job and you described the short comings of the plastic filter housing perfectly. I can't stand that thing.
I'm a big believer in modern plastics because they have proven to be superior to metal in many applications. It's unfortunate they didn't use a higher grade polymer and probably went with the metal re-design because it's cheaper.
I also got a nice glimpse of our sump from my research and it's different then a similar SUV or truck sump as I previously thought. Our oil pan is part of the engine block and it's well baffled to such an extent that I don't think you could ever uncover the pick up tube. It reminded me of some of the European designs and it makes sense since this is a world-class car.
Old 10-08-15, 08:38 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Shouldn't there be a sticky for all DIY jobs done well?
Old 10-08-15, 08:41 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by MellonC00
I agree...... Moderators??
Old 10-08-15, 01:34 PM
bobflood
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any one with 13-15 460 did oil change and can tell us if the oil filter housing metal or not?
I just changed the oil and filter on my 2014; filter housing and cap are both metal.
Old 10-08-15, 07:40 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bobflood
I just changed the oil and filter on my 2014; filter housing and cap are both metal.
Thank you!
Old 10-08-15, 07:57 PM
Devh
Racer

Thank you!
Mystery solved. I have a 2011 so it may have been upgraded in the recent past.
I think everyone should upgrade on their next oil change.
Old 10-09-15, 04:35 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by MellonC00
There is a DIY thread located in the sticky, however, there is additional, helpful information that could be added to it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ls600hl-3.html
Old 10-09-15, 07:40 AM
jud149
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

One might want to be careful making the switch if they are still under warranty. If one has engine trouble, who knows what Lexus may say if they see this non-oem filter casing. I have one, Dorman, but won't install it until my warranty is up.
Old 10-09-15, 08:03 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by jud149
One might want to be careful making the switch if they are still under warranty. If one has engine trouble, who knows what Lexus may say if they see this non-oem filter casing. I have one, Dorman, but won't install it until my warranty is up.
Here are my thoughts. If someone has the factory warranty they should be able to buy the exact replacement part for the newer models from the dealer or get the the part number and order online. Toyota will not invalidate the warranty until they prove that the oil filter housing is the direct or indirect cause and if it's the part number listed for the LS460 you will be completely covered because it's a Toyota part.

I would avoid at all costs the Dorman part. The Chinese have a way of replicating a factory part and they will do a great job of it but with a part that is crucial like the oiling system and the fact that the Toyota part is just a few dollars more I would rather play it safe.
I have noticed that there was a level of precision in regard to the threads with the Oil filter housing and I would rather trust the Toyota cast because of the quality control of the tolerances.
Old 10-09-15, 02:33 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
I'm a big believer in modern plastics because they have proven to be superior to metal in many applications. It's unfortunate they didn't use a higher grade polymer and probably went with the metal re-design because it's cheaper.
I also got a nice glimpse of our sump from my research and it's different then a similar SUV or truck sump as I previously thought. Our oil pan is part of the engine block and it's well baffled to such an extent that I don't think you could ever uncover the pick up tube. It reminded me of some of the European designs and it makes sense since this is a world-class car.
Yeah the engine on these cars is pretty top notch...probably why they haven't changed the power plant in the 8 years it's been in existence.
Old 10-09-15, 03:39 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Yeah the engine on these cars is pretty top notch...probably why they haven't changed the power plant in the 8 years it's been in existence.
Just take a look at what they will be doing with the next LS. They will still be using a UR series engine and not something from scratch. I have a feeling the UR power plant will be the last gas engine in the LS line.
Old 10-09-15, 08:03 PM
cerbum
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
Just take a look at what they will be doing with the next LS. They will still be using a UR series engine and not something from scratch. I have a feeling the UR power plant will be the last gas engine in the LS line.
What do you think the next LS engine will run on? Diesel? Hydrogen? Unicorns?

-cerbum

Quick Reply: Aluminum Oil Filter Housing Upgrade