LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Horror story: Dealer damaged my car and tried to hide it but I caught them on camera

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-15, 12:22 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by rudyH
I think this is a VERY good point!. I personally though would want more than just the car fixed. I'm not sure what I would ask for, but the dealer escalated the stakes when they tried to hide and in fact outright lied about the damage. That's a really big deal in my book. A lawyer letter is very inexpensive. Having a legal (kind of anyway) contact won't disallow your ability to go through insurance in the future. I'm just yacking here, but the poor guy with the screwed up car has to deal with this and I hope for a great outcome in his favor. I'm not sure, me nt being a lawyer, but I think this constitutes fraud and in most states, that's a big deal. If it comes to it, a jury isn't going to think much of it either.
I'm not one to judge what is justified but I always found there is two schools in a situation like this. Those that want wrongful doing to be undone and those that want just enrichment. If you are the latter then it takes a lot more time having to deal with lawyers. Maybe you come out ahead maybe not and in the end it's not worth your time however the window to use the insurance gets narrower.

I think it's possible that you can go though the insurance as well as hold the dealership accountable by reporting the wrong doing to the authorities so they can go after the guilty party. Then you can file a civil case if you want just enrichment which is entirely separate from having your car fixed.
Just thinking out loud.
Old 09-22-15, 01:51 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
I'm not one to judge what is justified but I always found there is two schools in a situation like this. Those that want wrongful doing to be undone and those that want just enrichment. If you are the latter then it takes a lot more time having to deal with lawyers. Maybe you come out ahead maybe not and in the end it's not worth your time however the window to use the insurance gets narrower.

I think it's possible that you can go though the insurance as well as hold the dealership accountable by reporting the wrong doing to the authorities so they can go after the guilty party. Then you can file a civil case if you want just enrichment which is entirely separate from having your car fixed.
Just thinking out loud.
Enrichment is a hot button word implying greediness. There is compensation, restitution, enrichment and unjust enrichment right? Maybe others too. What if the OP had accepted the explanation that the car came in messed up? Is that fair? The OP has to spend what is probably going to be a fair bit of time on this, not to mention the aggravation he's dealing with. Will the car ever be the same? What if the dealer drags their feet and this goes on for 6 months hoping the guy goes away? He doesn't have to sue for a million bucks and no honest lawyer would ever suggest such a thing. If the dealer steps up and makes things right to the CUSTOMER'S satisfaction, no lawyers will be needed. I'm not trying to hijack the thread so that will be my last post. I only posted in the first place because I know how frustrating it can be when a business jacks you around. As a business owner for over 35 years, now retired, our company took pride in doing the right thing and I don't think we were that unique in this country.
Old 09-22-15, 02:07 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by rudyH
Enrichment is a hot button word implying greediness. There is compensation, restitution, enrichment and unjust enrichment right? Maybe others too. What if the OP had accepted the explanation that the car came in messed up? Is that fair? The OP has to spend what is probably going to be a fair bit of time on this, not to mention the aggravation he's dealing with. Will the car ever be the same? What if the dealer drags their feet and this goes on for 6 months hoping the guy goes away? He doesn't have to sue for a million bucks and no honest lawyer would ever suggest such a thing. If the dealer steps up and makes things right to the CUSTOMER'S satisfaction, no lawyers will be needed. I'm not trying to hijack the thread so that will be my last post. I only posted in the first place because I know how frustrating it can be when a business jacks you around. As a business owner for over 35 years, now retired, our company took pride in doing the right thing and I don't think we were that unique in this country.
I don't think it's greediness but in many cases it can be more then what it costs to repair the damage and it can be justified or even unjustified depending on the person who feels they are owed the farm. That's up to a court to decide but what would be more fitting is if the guilty party is charged criminally so it doesn't happen to anyone else.

Last edited by Devh; 09-22-15 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-22-15, 08:55 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what camera do you have that is constantly recording i am interested in getting one..