LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How to identify cars with air suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-15, 01:46 PM
AndrewME
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to identify cars with air suspension

Hello, I'm a new user here. In the next 6 month I plan on getting a used Lexus LS 460. I'm hoping to get 2011-2012, but I don't rule-out a 2013 LS, if the prices drop a bit.

I started doing some homework and want to get the most reliable LS money can buy, as this will be my car for the next 10 years.

From different posts, I gather that the air suspension is one of the more expensive maintenance items on the vehicle, and if possible I would like to avoid it.

Is there a way to identify cars with Air suspensions?
Also, are cars with executive seating package equipped with air suspension?
In summary, what is the biggest benefit of the air suspension?

Thanks, and apologies if these questions were answered before. Also, I'm still looking around here, but if there is a FAQ that answers some of these questions, I'll appreciate a link.
Old 09-18-15, 02:11 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Cars with air suspension have a switch to control the air suspension which has COMFORT/SPORT options and a HEIGHT HIGH button, right next to the PWR/ECT/SNOW switch and traction control button on the console.

The executive package and air were separate options, but I very much doubt you'll ever find an executive package car without the air suspension. Executive package is a very rare option, very expensive when new, and cars with it tend to come with all of the other options available.

Air suspension gives you a level of control over the ride, and some people prefer the ride with it. The non-air suspension is on the firm-ish side for a large luxury sedan, and you can go softer with the air in Comfort setting. But I'm very happy with the ride on my non-air car, and with the knowledge that I won't ever be spending $1500 on an air shock.
Old 09-18-15, 06:46 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice, I essentially had the same thought process when I bought mine a few months back. It depends on the model you're after. If you're looking for a '11-12 SWB AWD, then you're in luck b/c not a single one I came across had air suspension. SWB RWD largely didn't have air either for those years, unless you get one with the sport pkg which bundles it in. However, since you're interested in the exec seating, then it can only be an L/L AWD. Those are trickier to find, and honestly I didn't see many in my several mo search, and not a single 460L AWD had the exec seating from what I found. As already mentioned above, ones that do have the rear seat goodies tend to have air. If you're really interested in the exec pkg then you'll probably have an easier time finding one if you look at the LS600's (all 600s have the air suspension tho).

As for the non-air suspension, it's very comfortable IMO. Does a great job absorbing/damping the bumps without being overly floaty, and certainly a lot less body roll than my (beloved) LS430. I plan on keeping this car for a few yrs as well, so not dealing with that was a must for me. Those who have it seem to enjoy it though, so I would try out both before making the final decision.

Also, I initially started out looking for a 460L AWD b/c I thought they look a bit cooler, but the very clean ones without air were far and few between, and they always fetched a premium. In the end, I found a deal I couldn't refuse on my current car, a 460 SWB AWD in the color I most wanted with pretty much all the toys save for the standard LWB extras with only 17k mi. My point is, unless you really want the LWB, a SWB really isn't a bad choice. I have certainly really enjoyed my car so far!

Check this out too, it's what dal is saying in his post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post8045188
Old 09-20-15, 11:03 AM
AndrewME
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the replies. One more question though - I just watched MotorTrend's review of 2010 Lexus LS sport. In that review, they mention that Air suspension is standard on the AWD, optional on RWD.

From some pictures that I see on the cars.com, I think some of the AWD models don't have air suspension.
Was this and option on 2011+ AWD models?

I think I'm OK with the short wheel base, but would like to have AWD with no air supension.
Old 09-20-15, 12:35 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Air became an option with awd in 2010. All previous awd had air standard.