LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

14' ES 350 lease to 12' LS 460L, is it a good move?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-15, 06:44 PM
docmarioce
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14' ES 350 lease to 12' LS 460L, is it a good move?

Hi,

I enjoy the quite ride and the high quality of my ES but I can't stop thinking about the LS series. I have to have one but II cannot afford a new one. Is it a crazy thing to go from a 14' ES 350 with navigation, blind spot, etc to a 12' Lexus Certified pre-owned LS 460L with 45K with about 58K miles? Wouldit be an set back or could they compete in quality, reliability, and value?

Thanks.

Mario
Old 09-14-15, 07:20 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Congrats! A good move and upgrade indeed. You now have the "Big One" and it's CPO. I'm sure you now realize the LS is in a class of its own. Lexus stands for quality, reliability and value. Enjoy your LS - Lexus the pursuit of perfection.
Old 09-14-15, 07:55 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a great move IMO! While the ES is a very nice car, the LS is the best sedan Lexus has to offer. You might miss a few of the newer features such as blind spot but the LS has almost everything you could want in a car (I still do wish we had HUD tho...but I digress ). I started on the lower entry luxury side a few yrs back as well. As soon as I got a taste of mid size, I was shocked at how much better it was and couldn't wait to experience proper full size luxury. Put it this way, I had an 04 LS430 before my current '12 460. Both are outstanding cars. I am a huge fan of the attention to detail that goes into these flagships, not to mention rock solid build quality and reliability that comes with all LS's! You will not be disappointed
Old 09-14-15, 07:55 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by docmarioce
Hi,

I enjoy the quite ride and the high quality of my ES but I can't stop thinking about the LS series. I have to have one but II cannot afford a new one. Is it a crazy thing to go from a 14' ES 350 with navigation, blind spot, etc to a 12' Lexus Certified pre-owned LS 460L with 45K with about 58K miles? Wouldit be an set back or could they compete in quality, reliability, and value?

Thanks.

Mario
I wouldn't hesitate for one minute. But hey, this IS the LS forum.....we're kind of partial that way.
Old 09-15-15, 03:53 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

My 2 cents. I have 12 460L. During one of my dealer services, I got 14 ES 350 as a loaner. I could immediately tell the difference in the ride quality. Don't take me wrong, ES is a great vehicle but can't be compared with LS. Did you test drive LS?. What was your initial impression?.

Remember 460L is a long wheel base. Having a blind spot monitor would've been a great help. I really miss that in 460L. However, I am looking into after market install.
Old 09-15-15, 07:01 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Any time I get an ES loaner at the dealer I can't wait to get back into my 460L. As long as the 460L is in good condition, these cars are worlds apart. However, the price that you mentioned seems quite high.
Old 09-15-15, 10:00 AM
docmarioce
Driver

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
Any time I get an ES loaner at the dealer I can't wait to get back into my 460L. As long as the 460L is in good condition, these cars are worlds apart. However, the price that you mentioned seems quite high.
What would be a fair price for that car? It is the AWD executive seating package with navigation, etc.
Old 09-15-15, 02:35 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have a '14 ES and like the interior I'd advise you to try to get into a '13 LS -- the LS got an interior refresh for 2013 that makes the interior look a lot more modern and like current Lexuses. The '12 LS interior is almost the same as the original interior for '07.
Old 09-15-15, 02:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

The LS is heads and shoulders a superior car to the ES. Its smoother, quieter, much more refined and substantial feeling.
Old 09-15-15, 05:57 PM
docmarioce
Driver

Default Thanks to all.

I visited the dealership today and I decided probably wait a little longer since I will be upside down due to my current lease and I didn't like the numbers. I will be frequenting this forum frequently though to keep reading about my dream car.Thanks to all for your advices and opinions. I'll definitely will upgrade at the earlier opportunity. Will probably pick up a 2013 LS 460 at that time since it looks more like my 14 ES.

Best,

Mario
Old 09-17-15, 06:50 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by docmarioce
What would be a fair price for that car? It is the AWD executive seating package with navigation, etc.
Well to put it in perspective, I bought my 2011 460L just a tad over a year ago with 32k miles on the odo. It has all available options with the exception of the executive seating package and was purchased for just north of $40k. With that said, the dealer was originally asking for $46, so they were willing to wheel and deal, but that doesn't take away from the fact that a similarly optioned out car with less miles was purchased for a fair amount less than what your dealer is asking for.

I did notice that you decided to pass on this car, but just to put it out there (assuming the car is in very good condition) I would say it's worth closer to $40k - $42k.

PS, in deciding between a '12 and a '13, be sure to consider the options that you want. For instance, let's just say your budget is $40k - $45k and you might want the LWB version with the rear-seat upgrade package, air suspension, dynamic cruise, and an extended Lexus warranty. ~$45k might get you all that in a '12 but in all likelihood it will not be enough to get you even a base '13 with none of those options.

Last edited by Ascari_2; 09-17-15 at 06:58 AM.
Old 09-17-15, 09:59 AM
docmarioce
Driver

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
Well to put it in perspective, I bought my 2011 460L just a tad over a year ago with 32k miles on the odo. It has all available options with the exception of the executive seating package and was purchased for just north of $40k. With that said, the dealer was originally asking for $46, so they were willing to wheel and deal, but that doesn't take away from the fact that a similarly optioned out car with less miles was purchased for a fair amount less than what your dealer is asking for.

I did notice that you decided to pass on this car, but just to put it out there (assuming the car is in very good condition) I would say it's worth closer to $40k - $42k.

PS, in deciding between a '12 and a '13, be sure to consider the options that you want. For instance, let's just say your budget is $40k - $45k and you might want the LWB version with the rear-seat upgrade package, air suspension, dynamic cruise, and an extended Lexus warranty. ~$45k might get you all that in a '12 but in all likelihood it will not be enough to get you even a base '13 with none of those options.
You are probably right. I might pay another visit to the dealership and try to renegotiate the price and terms. As you can see I am still undecided about getting it now or not .as someone said in a similar thread I opened in the ES forum: you only live once. I'll update this post as I make my mind. Thanks for your 2 cents and thanks to everyone else who gave me suggestions.
Old 09-19-15, 12:08 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,206 Likes on 956 Posts

Since money is an issue, as it is for most of us, there are additional operating costs. Insurance will be higher, mine is. Premium fuel is recommended, regular fuel will affect the fuel economy aside from potential other issues. If you do mostly local driving, your fuel economy will be substantially lower than the ES as well as the higher cost for premium. If you do mostly highway driving, the MPG is much better. The LS shines on longer trips. Also a LWB may not fit in some garages. That being said, I love my LS, but I'm considering a relocation to southern Cali, where it'll be mostly city driving, gas is much more expensive and everything is a tight fit. An ESh may be my next car, but it'll be a tough decision to make.
Old 09-19-15, 01:33 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

the ES is not a bad car, I've had loaners when my LS is in the shop. Just hard to compare the two vehicles, the ES is a comfortable ride...the LS is a luxurious ride. Not to say the ES is bad, but the LS is in another class altogether. Go with what your budget can provide because the ES is miles ahead of most other cars in it's class too!
Old 09-20-15, 06:37 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Agree with Roadfrog.

The LS is so good at what it does. The LS drives well, it's comfortable to passengers, and it's visually appealing (inside and out).

Quick Reply: 14' ES 350 lease to 12' LS 460L, is it a good move?