LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Trading my '10 RX350 for '08 LS460 - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-15, 11:19 AM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Trading my '10 RX350 for '08 LS460 - Questions

I'm contemplating trading my 2010 RX350 CPO (2 years in) with 70k for a 2008 LS460 with 97k. I'll actually be paying quite a bit less (35% less) per month for the LS460. The LS460 is at a local Lexus dealer for $23k but will be looking to pay closer to $21k. I've been doing some reading on the forum and have found a lot of information but I wanted to verify a couple of things.

The 2 main issues I've read with the LS460 are the control arms and the brake actuator. The valve spring recall was done on this LS460 in 2011 at 34k.

-In looking up the service history, it looks like the brake actuator was replaced at end of 2009 with 20k miles. Was there a solution by then or did they just replace it with the same actuator design. From what I read, Lexus solved this by installing the actuator from the L600 as it didn't have the issue. Should I expect it to go out again?:

ABS ACTUATOR ASSEMBLY CUSTOMER STATES CREAKING NON NORMAL SOUND FROM BRAKES,PLEASE CHECK AND ADVISE - . - 20967 L - SB BOO69 - 09. 896051, & 896051Z 410 ROAD TESTED & INSPECTED. PERFORMED L - SB BOO69 - 09 TWICE AS PER SHOP FOREMAN. SOUND WAS STILL PRESENT AFTERWARDS. R&R ABS ACTUATOR, & PERFORMED BRAKE BLEEDING PROCEDURE AGAIN. ROAD TESTED AND SOUND NO LONGER PRESEN

-Front upper and lower control arms were replaced in 2013 with 67k miles. Dealer notes state it was done as a Good Will Gesture for the customer as car had been maintained, etc. Was the design improved by then, should I expect to replace them again soon? I know that aftermarket parts can be purchased on eBay. Can OEM bushings be purchased yet or is Lexus still only selling the entire arm. I'm sure there are aftermarket bushings.

-It's my understanding that KYB struts can be purchased and installed for the LS460. That I don't have to buy struts from the dealer?

Other things worth mentioning:
-Battery was replaced at 47k, 62k, 89k. Is this normal?
-Throttle Body carbon build up, cleaned at 62k and again at 97k. Is this normal? Sign of using lower octane gas or off brand of gas.

I appreciate any feedback. Also, considering the mileage, should I consider purchasing an extended warranty through Lexus?
Old 09-14-15, 11:54 AM
jmcraney

Received 257 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by sdwtchlvr
-Battery was replaced at 47k, 62k, 89k. Is this normal?
Batteries in cars typically last 40+ months. It is not possible to tell the time span represented by the cited mileages, but it seems the batteries were probably replaced prematurely. Many of the LS460s experience defective doorjamb switches. A defective doorjamb switch causes many problems and among them is the failure of the Auto-Headlights-Off feature which results in a discharged battery. Many dealerships don't seem to be very good at understanding this problem and their solution, out of frustration, is to replace the battery. Doorjamb switches are inexpensive and easy to replace, so, you probably shouldn't be too concerned about the multiple battery replacements on this car. These cars have a solid reputation for reliable electrical systems. There is lots of advice in this forum about the defective doorjamb switches.
Old 09-14-15, 12:36 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

By 2013, the updated control arms with better bushings had been available for 2+ years, and should have been installed. The only issue would be if for some reason the dealer used very old parts. On your test drive, be aware of any on-center play in the steering, and listen for clunks from the front end on hard braking or acceleration.

Lexus does not sell the bushings alone, but if you have the updated arms you should be good for awhile. All bushings will fail eventually but it should take a whole lot longer than 30k.

Some members have reported that it's cheaper to buy new eBay arms than to have new bushings installed in the old arms.
Old 09-14-15, 12:50 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

The 460 is a fine automobile and you are aware of its issues and repairs. That's all good and positive but personally I would purchase a '11 or newer CPO 460. Your RX 350 is CPO, more reliable and isn't plague with the problems of the '08 LS. An extended warranty through Lexus would be expensive if you purchase the '08 and probably well worth it. Lexus the pursuit of perfection.
Old 09-14-15, 02:24 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Thanks for the feedback guys. The door closing assist on the driver's door was finally diagnosed in Jan 2015 as being bad...but the owner declined the $1300 job. It was finally fixed last month when the dealer took it in on trade, that could have been the issue with replacing so many batteries?

My budget doesn't allow me to consider a 2011 at the moment. The RX is fine other than it's a bore to drive and seems quite cheap/plastic on the interior. I sold my 99 LS400 to buy this RX and really miss the LS series. I vowed to get back to one and got a wild itch to start looking. But we're saving for a bigger house so I don't want to dive into another $40k car at the moment.

I was also looking at a 05 LS430 for $14k but although it drives like a dream, I kinda feel like I'm going back in time with the electronics.
Old 09-14-15, 02:46 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
isn't plague with the problems of the '08 LS.
It's hardly "plagued with problems." There are just three common issues that are expensive to fix: the control arms, the brake actuator, and the Mark Levinson amp. Sounds like two of them have already been taken care of in this case, and we don't know if this car is Mark Levinson equipped or not.
Old 09-14-15, 03:41 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would always tell someone to buy the most current car you can afford. Even the most reliable car will eventually have problems. Don't execpt to have less an issue when you buy a 8 year old car versus a more current one. The LS is a great car, but you are looking to go from a 2011 lexus to a 2008 lexus. I wouldn't chose reliability to be my reason. But if you justify the savings you get from your payment and compare them to cost equal each month (using the extra dollars for possible repairs) then I would definitely choose the LS. I was too a previous RX owner.
Old 09-14-15, 05:01 PM
Nospinzone

Received 408 Likes on 316 Posts

Regarding your two main issues, I would say you are good to go. The frequent battery change is unusual, but see post #2. The carbon clean up is not normal, but you never know what the previous owner did (same holds true for the battery).

I'm not sure you can buy an extended warranty through Lexus on that car. Do a search of extended warranties in this forum. There is a lot of info such as pro/con, who, and how much.
Old 09-14-15, 09:10 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

The LS460 is equipped with ML sound system...sounds fine and no issues that I can tell. I'd be going from a 2010 to 08.

I'm not expecting to have less issues with the 08 LS460 vs. my 10 RX350, I just want to know that the big known issues have been taken care of or at least, there is a viable solution to them other than the dealership.

As I mentioned, I owned a 99 LS400 for a few years and that was enough for me to be sold on the quality of the brand and LS series. The 460 is a slightly different beast, special attention has to be paid to a few things. There are several local indy shops that are great. So as long as I have access to the parts, I'm confident they will be installed to dealer specs. As long as the core of the car is reliable and will last with maintenance, I'm completely fine with that.

The RX and LS are two completely different vehicles. I remember the first month or two with my RX, coming from my LS that was 11 years older, feeling that the RX seemed inferior. The RX is a fine car, but it just felt like a lightweight compared to the LS.

Again, I appreciate the feedback from you guys. Without this forum, I would be in the dark. Thanks!!
Old 09-14-15, 09:14 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Regarding the throttle body cleanings, that could be something that was completely suggested by the dealer with no complaint from the customer. Looking at the service history, one was done during a major service and the other recently when the dealer took the car in on trade. It doesn't seem like something I've read a lot about on the forum.

As far as an extended warranty is concerned, I agree that it probably won't be offered by Lexus but I'll check. They may offer a power train warranty though that will probably not be needed.
Old 09-15-15, 08:16 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

The only other common problem is the water pump. They go fairly early in their life.....in my case about 60k miles. Cost me 50 bucks for a replacement on Ebay and an hour of my DIY time.
Old 09-15-15, 08:59 AM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Appreciate the heads up on the water pump. I'm sure I can take care of that myself if it fails. I'm definitely looking forward to taking on some of these projects myself.
Old 09-15-15, 11:26 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by sdwtchlvr
I was also looking at a 05 LS430 for $14k but although it drives like a dream, I kinda feel like I'm going back in time with the electronics.
Compared to the electronic evolution in the 13's, the 08 will also feel like going back in time. Just not as far.
Old 09-15-15, 12:19 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

It's all relative, I'm sure.
Old 09-15-15, 12:45 PM
kitchamp
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Batteries in cars typically last 40+ months. It is not possible to tell the time span represented by the cited mileages, but it seems the batteries were probably replaced prematurely. Many of the LS460s experience defective doorjamb switches. A defective doorjamb switch causes many problems and among them is the failure of the Auto-Headlights-Off feature which results in a discharged battery. Many dealerships don't seem to be very good at understanding this problem and their solution, out of frustration, is to replace the battery. Doorjamb switches are inexpensive and easy to replace, so, you probably shouldn't be too concerned about the multiple battery replacements on this car. These cars have a solid reputation for reliable electrical systems. There is lots of advice in this forum about the defective doorjamb switches.
My 2 cents RE: battery issue.

I've had my 460 now for 6 years, and have had to change batteries 3 times--at 45k, 75k, and today at 95k. The first battery changed as part of CPO when I got the car. At 75k car need jump start, battery terminals found with lots of oxidation build-up, battery failed load test. New battery and replaced battery positive cable, along with a doorjamb switch causing lights to stay on, under warranty. Today need a jump start again. A new battery replaced under warranty again due to failing load test, same oxidation build up on positive cable, and dealer diagnosed with failed cable again. Currently getting the cable swapped.

I echo what the others have said about the other issues, having had brake actuator and all control arms replaced under warranty. The fixes are known, overall a solid car.

Quick Reply: Trading my '10 RX350 for '08 LS460 - Questions