LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

DIY trans fluid drain and refill

Old 07-31-16, 03:16 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Yeah. Didn't look so to me either. According to Lexus 3.3 qts is used when dropping the pan. If you don't do anything else than you don't have to monitor temp and use tech stream to check the fluid level.

Just use the overfill hole to stop adding when it starts to drip out.

Old 07-31-16, 03:28 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Lots of the service writers I worked with were ex mechanics. Some had amazing knowledge in the field without ever wrenching. BUT the other half were slick talking bozos that would tell a customer every stupid explanation and lie in the book to make the sale. It always worked and the customer ate it up and just said yes. I could not stand to listen to the line of crap so I never would hang around when they were on the phone with the customers. So half the service writers will say yes we pulled the pan or this that or the other when they know it never happened. A service writer is a salesman, like a politician they just tell you what they think you want to hear. Sorry to burst any bubbles here but the good ones are far and few between.
Old 08-01-16, 07:02 AM
jfattibe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I just got off the phone with my Lexus dealership. $285 for fluid change. When I asked if it was a drain and fill, they said no, they have a machine that will flush everything out and replace with new fluid. Can this be done ? Would it get everything out in the torque converter ?? Was wondering if anyone has had this done because this is actually what I was looking for.
Old 08-01-16, 07:29 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

That is a great price and will get every drop renewed. No need to drop the pan. You should reveal the name of the dealer so anyone in the area can take advantage of this commendable deal. Just make sure you are adamant about using the flush machine when you drop the car off. Unless you stand there and watch you really wont know if it was done though. That's the beauty of DIY.

Last edited by Kennyr44; 08-01-16 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-01-16, 07:58 AM
jfattibe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
That is a great price and will get every drop renewed. No need to drop the pan. You should reveal the name of the dealer so anyone in the area can take advantage of this commendable deal. Just make sure you are adamant about using the flush machine when you drop the car off. Unless you stand there and watch you really wont know if it was done though. That's the beauty of DIY.
Lexus of Warwick (Rhode Island) is the dealership. Highly recommend them. They've done all the work on my car ( brake actuator, steering rack, sway bar bushings). This is a great price, but you're right, I wouldn't know what they've done unless I stand there and watch. I hope it's not a drain and fill ?? Dealerships don't lie right ??!! 😁

I think they should put web cams in every service bay so we could see what they're actually doing from our smart phones !! I'd pay extra just to see !!

Last edited by jfattibe; 08-01-16 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-01-16, 09:01 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Here's the key. Ask to meet with a friendly tech who has been there awhile. Shake his hand and then use him exclusively. Ask for him and him only. Ask him questions you have and you have formed a bond. Dont take up too much of his time. He will go out of his way to take care of you above and beyond. I had many of these customers and they got royal treatment. They loved me and I new that and felt I had to take care of them. This is what people who go to independent shops do. Dropping him a gift card to subways etc. will go a long ways also.
Old 08-01-16, 11:53 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by jfattibe
I think they should put web cams in every service bay so we could see what they're actually doing from our smart phones !! I'd pay extra just to see !!
Recently in the news a customer caught a tech at an Audi dealership taking his car out and doing errands. He had a dash cam and apparently the tech didn't realize it was recording.

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
Here's the key. Ask to meet with a friendly tech who has been there awhile. Shake his hand and then use him exclusively. Ask for him and him only. Ask him questions you have and you have formed a bond. Dont take up too much of his time. He will go out of his way to take care of you above and beyond. I had many of these customers and they got royal treatment. They loved me and I new that and felt I had to take care of them. This is what people who go to independent shops do. Dropping him a gift card to subways etc. will go a long ways also.
Excellent tip. Whenever I get great service from someone (not just for a car but with anything, especially if I expect to be back sometime) I always ask the name of their supervisor and write a note. If I see that service person again I say, "oh yea, I remember writing your supervisor about what a great job you did last time".

One time many years ago I was traveling to San Diego and was changing planes in Philly. I was bringing my golf clubs in a golf travel bag that was on its last legs. As I was at the gate I saw the bag being transferred and it broke apart. Two baggage handlers tried to zip it back and failing that they got some duct tape to keep it together. They saw me in the window and I waved thumbs up and they waved back.

So I asked the gate agent for their names. I said they did such a nice job that I wanted to write a note to the airline. He gave me their names. A little while later they started boarding. As I gave the gate agent my coach class ticket, he looked at it, took it from me, and promptly re-issued me a first class ticket! So sometimes you never know how those things will pay off.
Old 08-02-16, 05:47 AM
rfam
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I had my transmission fluid flushed at 66,000 miles at the dealership-approx. $300. Great info. from others concerning getting to know your tech. I make sure each visit that he is the one that works on the vehicle. I've known him for 10 years or more and trust him. Also, I asked for Toyota WS to be put back into the transmission-not the fluid that is sold to the dealerships by the flush machine vendor--I like to stick with Toyota approved fluids. I saw the fluid that he drained out-still some red color to it-next flush I'll wait until it has about 80k miles. I had the spark plugs changed out at that same service (66k) and they looked ok-maybe they could last a lot longer than the 60k recommended replacement. I plan on keeping my 2012 LS for at least 200k miles.
Old 08-02-16, 09:15 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by rfam
I had my transmission fluid flushed at 66,000 miles at the dealership-approx. $300. Great info. from others concerning getting to know your tech. I make sure each visit that he is the one that works on the vehicle. I've known him for 10 years or more and trust him. Also, I asked for Toyota WS to be put back into the transmission-not the fluid that is sold to the dealerships by the flush machine vendor--I like to stick with Toyota approved fluids. I saw the fluid that he drained out-still some red color to it-next flush I'll wait until it has about 80k miles. I had the spark plugs changed out at that same service (66k) and they looked ok-maybe they could last a lot longer than the 60k recommended replacement. I plan on keeping my 2012 LS for at least 200k miles.
Personally I think that's a pretty good mileage to have the flush done, and it's wise to make sure they used the WS fluid. And I don't know why some years Lexus advises 60k mile changes on plugs, and on others 100k...I did mine at 105k.

I love hearing about people trying to get to 200k!