LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Neat little trick to play from the DVD changer while using iVic-DR

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-15, 10:18 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Neat little trick to play from the DVD changer while using iVic-DR

Usually with ivic you need to cycle audio mode on your car so you can either use the DVD changer or iVic, but not both at the same time... until you try that neat little trick I discover today while messing around my car. Here it goes:

-Start by making sure you selected iVic as your source for the first step
-Then start cycling audio source by pressing DISC/Aux button and waiting half a second between each click until you reach the DVD changer (you'll pass iVic again and DVD should be right after)
-Immediately after press the audio button

You should now be able to play your CD from the DVD changer while using iVic as a video source. To get out of the twilight zone just press audio again. I'm using iVic-5DR with self park so I cannot verify if this work on car without self park.
Old 09-05-15, 06:36 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Very cool and great discovery. If only I had:

1.. The Advanced Parking Guidance System.

2. A cell phone with a HDMI or MHL output port.

I guess it's possible option 2 could be somehow done with Bluetooth streaming and certain hardware and screen casting software, but I'd prefer a wired connection.

My main use of the IVIC would be to put my cellphone navigation and other apps on the car's nav screen, and to control those functions from the car, not the phone. But I digress...

Last edited by Gbp; 09-05-15 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Corrected MHS to MHL.
Old 09-05-15, 10:00 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Neat little trick to play from the DVD changer while using iVic-DR

Intersting..I'll need to try this. My next goal is to get my Ivic to play on my rear screen..not successful yet. I'm also wondering if I can get an HDMI to RCA converter so I can get a used Galaxy Note 2 or something that has MHL out and play straight to rear screen using the Aux input. And a while back and maybe one time before that..somehow I was able to get my Nav screen to display my Waze navigation app while using my ivic input but I could use my oem Satellite Radio to play through....usually that doesn't work. It has to be "DVD/CD Changer or SAT1". Not sure if glitch or an Easter egg situation like you discovered.

Last edited by CJITTY; 09-05-15 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-06-15, 06:35 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Intersting..I'll need to try this. My next goal is to get my Ivic to play on my rear screen..not successful yet. I'm also wondering if I can get an HDMI to RCA converter so I can get a used Galaxy Note 2 or something that has MHL out and play straight to rear screen using the Aux input. And a while back and maybe one time before that..somehow I was able to get my Nav screen to display my Waze navigation app while using my ivic input but I could use my oem Satellite Radio to play through....usually that doesn't work. It has to be "DVD/CD Changer or SAT1". Not sure if glitch or an Easter egg situation like you discovered.
HDMI to RCA converter would work on the rear screen, I actually bought one but never installed it since in order to make it stealthy i'll have to remove the center console and do some soldering. As for your sat1 + iVic I found a way to reproduce it:

-Start at the ivic screen
-Cycle using DISC/Aux button until you reach ivic again then press am/sat twice (half a sec between each click) then audio. If you just press fm/sat once you'll be able to listen to FM radio. Basically with this trick I think any combination is possible.

Last edited by Vansibel; 09-06-15 at 06:38 AM.
Old 09-06-15, 07:01 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Final and most efficient way of using that glitch:

-Put nav into the mode just before ivic, in my case it's hdd mode
-Press Disc/aux button twice (it will go to ivic then to the next audio mode)
-Then immediately press audio button (wait about half a sec between each button press)

Now here is the new kicker: Then press mode to cycle ANY AUDIO MODE you want while using iVic... Am/fm/sat/hdd/dvd changer. Ivic will reset only until you pass all mode and revert back to ivic in normal mode.