LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Dealership at it again!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-16, 09:43 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
I totally agree. These cars are really much easier to work on than most other new cars these days. I know it's hard for people to grasp but it is the truth. Any independent Toy shop can do the work no problem. That's the best case. Then a good general mechanic wont have a problem either.
Exactly. The only exception would be any repair that requires Techstream. Not many shops would have it, as it is VERY expensive. That's why I relegate my brake flushes and transmission flushes to my Toyota dealer. They charge me 69 bucks for the brakes and 149 for the tranny.
Old 01-27-16, 10:03 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Exactly. The only exception would be any repair that requires Techstream. Not many shops would have it, as it is VERY expensive. That's why I relegate my brake flushes and transmission flushes to my Toyota dealer. They charge me 69 bucks for the brakes and 149 for the tranny.
Truly no offense meant because your input here is really valuable and more than appreciated. Mentioning a $149 trans service is deceiving. This is leading people to believe it really is a trans service. Its a 2.5 qt drain and fill that will work out fine if its done every 10,000 miles from day one. This will get pricey over time.
Old 01-27-16, 01:07 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
Truly no offense meant because your input here is really valuable and more than appreciated. Mentioning a $149 trans service is deceiving. This is leading people to believe it really is a trans service. Its a 2.5 qt drain and fill that will work out fine if its done every 10,000 miles from day one. This will get pricey over time.
Correct. It's Lexus' recommended service to "drain and fill". I suppose it's because adding the 3 qts renews the additive package to a satisfactory level and the fluid (and filter) is still serviceable. On my next scheduled service, I may ask them to drop the pan and replace the filter. Someone here at Cl I believe, sent a used sample to Blackstone which returned with a positive report. I may do the same.

When I owned my Ford F350 Superduty, I did a true trans flush (DIY) which a member posted on one of the diesel forums. It involved disconnecting a fluid line and then running the engine until the fluid stopped flowing. This removed most, if not all of the fluid from the torque converter, etc. I wonder if this is a viable option on our LS's.
Old 01-27-16, 04:20 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

[QUOTE=roadfrog;9340505]Correct. It's Lexus' recommended service to "drain and fill". I suppose it's because adding the 3 qts renews the additive package to a satisfactory level and the fluid (and filter) is still serviceable. On my next scheduled service, I may ask them to drop the pan and replace the filter. Someone here at Cl I believe, sent a used sample to Blackstone which returned with a positive report. I may do the same.

When I owned my Ford F350 Superduty, I did a true trans flush (DIY) which a member posted on one of the diesel forums. It involved disconnecting a fluid line and then running the engine until the fluid stopped flowing. This removed most, if not all of the fluid from the torque converter, etc. I wonder if this is a viable option on our LS's.[/QUOTE

Not really since the fill plug is buried pretty good on the upper side of the trans. Best thing to do on trannys without dip stick tubes is drain and fills and one time drop the pan and change the filter which gets 4 out instead of 2.5. If you already had 2.5 done just get them to change the filter and fill and reset the level. That should do you good for alot more miles. Maybe a drain and fill in 30-40k after that. The pan comes off easy at least on a rwd. I think 2 hrs labor and 4 qts plus a gasket/filter kit does the whole job. You can provide the filter gasket kit from Amazon etc. or do nothing like 90% of people. All depends if you plan on running up the miles on your car. If not let the next guy try his luck with the trans. A dealer with a flush machine can do that too. That is perfectly safe. That's pricier to do though especially if they change the filter also.