Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

Bought a 2009 LS600hL ...Good deal or not ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-15, 07:30 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats - the purchase price for this car sounds like a good deal. LS600 cars are primarily about mileage and condition, we know the mileage so post some pics when you get the car so we can see the condition! But $31K is a good price.

On the VSA, I hope this is a real Lexus VSA from Toyota or Lexus Financial Services and not a dealer provided Platinum VSA from some other insurance place. I've personally seen this before where the dealer says "yes, we can sell you a Lexus Platinum VSA!". It was the Lexus dealer who sells it, so that's the Lexus part covered. It's a Platinum VSA as it says that on the document and flyer. But is it a Toyota FS backed one? In this scenario I cover here, no it's not.

I'm attaching the flyer PDF I have for the coverage I purchased in mid 2013 on my 2009 LS600. If your document or flyer looks similar to this, it's the real thing as you can see it's underwritten by Toyota directly. If your document doesn't look like this, post it up so we can have a look at what you were sold. It's also interesting that the usual people who sell warranty declined, but your dealer was able to do it.

hfahmy - you are correct, the hybrid battery isn't covered. I missed that one!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LEXUS_Platinum_VSA-05A.pdf (2.81 MB, 625 views)
Old 09-02-15, 08:27 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

If I recall correctly, due to the fact the battery does not have a distinct history of failing, if and when one does, Lexus has been known to replace it via goodwill, as Lexus takes the battery and studies it to find out just why it failed. That's what I recall reading anyway. CJITTY and/or Tee may be a bit more versed in this subject matter. I say CJITTY because he owns a 600 and he purchased a pretty hefty warranty as well via Lexus. All in all believe you can rest assured that the vehicle is covered.
Old 09-02-15, 08:30 PM
birjubhai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hfahmy
For a type 4 vehicle like the 600, 460 is type 3, $4600 is reasonable.

I paid $4600 to a dealer to buy a privately owned car and sell it back to me 6 years/100K miles certified in 2014. Dealer did nothing to the car beside changing the oil... back then VSA was not an option if the car is out of the factory warranty.

One bad news about the Lexus warranty/certification for the 600 is that it does not cover the hybrid battery, only the hybrid system component. I was really disappointed when I learned this...
Yep, I factored that in but the hybrid component is covered upto 80,000 miles through the basic car warranty itself. Even after then, if they find defect in the hybrid component, I was told that corporate usually takes care of the issue. They are pretty scared of bad publicity on their flagship car. Imagine someone complaining about quality and service issues for Maybach on Benz's facebook page. It will be totally devastating for the PR team at MB.
Old 09-02-15, 08:35 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by birjubhai
Yep, I factored that in but the hybrid component is covered upto 80,000 miles through the basic car warranty itself. Even after then, if they find defect in the hybrid component, I was told that corporate usually takes care of the issue. They are pretty scared of bad publicity on their flagship car. Imagine someone complaining about quality and service issues for Maybach on Benz's facebook page. It will be totally devastating for the PR team at MB.
This.....!! ^
Old 09-02-15, 08:41 PM
birjubhai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wanderer99
Congrats - the purchase price for this car sounds like a good deal. LS600 cars are primarily about mileage and condition, we know the mileage so post some pics when you get the car so we can see the condition! But $31K is a good price.

On the VSA, I hope this is a real Lexus VSA from Toyota or Lexus Financial Services and not a dealer provided Platinum VSA from some other insurance place. I've personally seen this before where the dealer says "yes, we can sell you a Lexus Platinum VSA!". It was the Lexus dealer who sells it, so that's the Lexus part covered. It's a Platinum VSA as it says that on the document and flyer. But is it a Toyota FS backed one? In this scenario I cover here, no it's not.

I'm attaching the flyer PDF I have for the coverage I purchased in mid 2013 on my 2009 LS600. If your document or flyer looks similar to this, it's the real thing as you can see it's underwritten by Toyota directly. If your document doesn't look like this, post it up so we can have a look at what you were sold. It's also interesting that the usual people who sell warranty declined, but your dealer was able to do it.

hfahmy - you are correct, the hybrid battery isn't covered. I missed that one!
Thanks Wanderer, I hope I got the real deal from Lexus on the warranty. If not then it is going back to Lexus. They said that they would be sending me the paperwork in the mail soon. The Lexus suggested retail price on the warranty was $5100, I negotiated it down to $4600. He also offered me another third party warranty which was exactly same as Lexus's Platinum coverage but also had the wheel and tire package at the same price. I still stuck with Lexus warranty. Thanks again for the document, I will verify it once I get mine in the mail.
Old 09-02-15, 08:48 PM
RayLS
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

congrats on the new car. pretty good deal on the car. warranty price seems okay considering it was already out of warranty and you get additional 5 yrs or up to 120 K miles. just to replace the lower CA bushings will break you even .
Old 09-02-15, 08:56 PM
birjubhai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RayLS
congrats on the new car. pretty good deal on the car. warranty price seems okay considering it was already out of warranty and you get additional 5 yrs or up to 120 K miles. just to replace the lower CA bushings will break you even .
Thanks RayLS.
Old 09-03-15, 07:15 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by birjubhai
Thanks Ascari, I was told by the Lexus Warranty experts listed on this site that I would not be able to get any Lexus warranty since my car was out of warranty already. This guy offered me Platinum VSA, so I jumped on the first opportunity before he changed his mind.
I would have done the exact same thing. I am insured with the Platinum VSA until 125k miles.
Old 09-03-15, 07:20 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Grats on the find. I'd say you got a nice deal on the car. it is the grand poobah so you certainly scored. As for warranty, it's all based on the owner and how much security means. In the long run, you did the right thing for yourself. Less sleepless nights, more fun driving. Enjoy!
Old 09-04-15, 07:26 PM
birjubhai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by R Z
Grats on the find. I'd say you got a nice deal on the car. it is the grand poobah so you certainly scored. As for warranty, it's all based on the owner and how much security means. In the long run, you did the right thing for yourself. Less sleepless nights, more fun driving. Enjoy!
Thanks R Z.
Old 09-05-15, 05:50 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Bought a 2009 LS600hL ...Good deal or not ?

Congrats on the purchase! I purchased my 2008 600 back in 2012 as CPO. I then paid about $1600 extra to have the CPO "wrap" warranty that takes my 3yr/100k to 5yr/125k. So I'm still good on warranty through Lexus/Toyota VSA until 2017. The only thing is the hybrid battery and invertor I believe are not covered but after talking to a few techs and SA's, I have confidence that I shouldn't have a failure and if I do, Lexus is really good about covering things like that. Usually covering part but maybe pay a portion of labor..etc. I think I recall the one or two hybrid issues on the 600 where from cars that were stored for year(s) and not driven. Foggy memory but it makes sense..batteries need excercise. Again..can't recall specifically. Lexus over engineered these cars..i have no worries. Enjoy the beast!!