LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone tried the Pirelli CINTURATO P7?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-15, 03:16 PM
Nospinzone

Received 409 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Just to be honest the road noise might have something to do with the fact that I have new hearing aids.
Dennis
Dennis, absolutely no offense intended, but you just made me roll on the floor laughing!
Old 09-26-15, 07:18 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 316 Posts

Someone asked what it cost me to put these tires on. I ordered them from Tire Rack. They cost me $968.16 delivered to the house. The tires were $894.06 and $74.10 for shipping. It cost me $14.00 per tire to have them mounted, balanced etc. The total bill was $1024.16. These were the 245/45R19's

Dennis
Old 09-26-15, 09:32 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

instead of reinventing the wheel
michelin premier a/s is best tire on the road for all parameters, ride, longevity, gas mileage and performance
Old 09-26-15, 07:15 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by ls430lover
instead of reinventing the wheel
michelin premier a/s is best tire on the road for all parameters, ride, longevity, gas mileage and performance
???

But it's still not as good as the Cinturato, so how is this "reinventing the wheel?
Old 09-27-15, 04:57 AM
Nospinzone

Received 409 Likes on 317 Posts

Tire Rack doesn't show the Michelin Premier as available for the LS.
Old 09-27-15, 10:22 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default re invent

how is it ill outline some thoughts that have been on other searches on this forum to make some nauseous

1) pirelli owned by a chinese company
2) they have had issues with Quality control for many years
3) they have a reputation for not having the longevity of others especially michelin
so if you add in an add 10000 miles the cost per tire plus the fuel savings with michelins actually are cheaper
4) michelin in the premier a/s has created a great tire
5) there are new models of michelins just released that may suit your needs
6) read the reviews of the p7 when i actually have a review that contraindicates they last 30k ill be a believer there are some good reviews about it, its a good tire. also before the p7 came out in a plus it had issues in a comparison test vs other manufacturers in hydroplaning in wet with a bmw 3 series test on tire rack..
again goes to the r and d far inept compared to pirelli
have fun enjoy the pirellis just plan on a tire that is not a michelin set your expectations and you will probably enjoy them
also search for the 300 responses tit for tat on mr wonderfuls pirelli love and you will get all the info you need that its a good tire doing 100 miles a month of driving
Old 09-27-15, 10:39 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm one of the hardest people to convince. I'm diehard Michelin. But I'm certainly willing to try the Pirelli .... PLUS. And yes, they do not make the Premier A/S in 245/45 R19. I'm not sure if it is made in the 18 inch tire size though. It appears not.

I have a link (at work) I'll try to remember to attach on here Monday, where they did some tire testing the Cinturatos against others. And I think the Premier was one of them. The Cinturatos faired the best in the testing. Also, the Cinturatos are rated UTQG: 700 A A, where as the premier's are 640 A A.

That means the Cinturatos showed less wear than the Premier's on the Texas test loop. Does that mean it will last longer? That's what it's supposed to mean. But it would probably be very close.

7milesout
Old 09-27-15, 07:40 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Here is the lists of best to worst tires reviewed on Tire Rack, in the "Grand Touring All Season" category:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=GTAS

Again, Pirelli Cinturato P7 beats out all others (including the Michelin Premier
Old 09-28-15, 02:33 AM
yoshirocks
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I put some P7s on my 08, and to be honest I didn't notice much of a difference coming from the original 7 year old Bridgestones, although I think thats me lol. I originally wanted the michelins but couldnt find them for nothing and like everyone these got good reviews so I went with them.

They are very quiet and hold the road well, so far I am happy with them but will definitely try some michelins next time around so I can compare them to something, and hopefully tune my ears a bit more to notice the difference if any lol.
Old 09-28-15, 09:15 AM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Michelin LS460 owners have to compare in the P7's category is the Primacy MXM4, which is an older tire that gets middling reviews. The Premier is not available in either the 18- or 19-inch OEM LS460 sizes.

Personally, I think this car is capable enough that it's worth stepping up to a high-performance all-season. Michelin does have an excellent entry in that category, the Pilot Sport AS/3. The Pirelli entrants in the category (P Zero Nero M&S/All Season) are middling. But you will pay a bit of a penalty in ride quality for the improved grip.

Last edited by dal20402; 09-28-15 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-29-15, 07:15 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Default Thoughts After 1256 Miles

Just got back from a 1256 mile road trip. I think these tires are great. I believe they are the best tires I have ever driven on. The ride is great ( I do not have air on our 2010 460L). The traction in heavy rain is like glue. They track straight and true. They are very quite (super quite if I take my hearing aids out). The handling is superb going into curves at 75-80 MPH on the interstate. These tires are rated for 70,000 miles, if I get 50-55K out of them I will be a happy camper. I would highly recommend them.

I had originally ordered Michelin's Energy MXV4 S8's which had a 50k warrenty from Costco on the 8th of Sep but when they came in 3 of them were made the 33rd week of 2014 and 1 of them was the 34th week of 2014. I had told them when I ordered them from the Costco in Omaha that if they were more than 6 months old I would not take them and they were good with that.

Dennis

Last edited by DJWLDW; 09-29-15 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-29-15, 08:09 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Dennis - Thanks for the info on these tires. I look forward to my tires (the original tires on the car) being replaced. Fact is, the original tires are worn out @ 20k miles. They are on the tread wear indicators. 99% of owners would replace now.

But ... everything in my house is broken, and I'm feeling like the tires on this car are my lowest priority. I think I'm going to stretch them to 25k miles. I just fixed the friggin disposal over the weekend. The golf cart is hit or miss, leaf blower busted, Corolla's transmission is being repaired, the garage door won't go down without holding the button. The list goes on.

And I can't seem to get much done because the youngest son and I are chasing bmx district points. Hopefully the weather holds up this weekend so we can travel to Augusta in the LS and rack up a lot of points. The first long trip since I bought it.

I had a good run though. 10+ years with not much breaking. But now, the dam is crumbling and I can't keep up! At least life is not boring at the moment.

7milesout
Old 09-29-15, 08:30 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

@7milesout: Please don't take this the wrong way, but if there's any chance your tires will perform less than optimally in emergency situations, especially considering the climate at this time of year, I'd prioritize getting the tires replaced.

Last edited by Gbp; 09-29-15 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-29-15, 08:32 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Default I Don't Worry About Things Like That

7Milesout

I don't worry about thinks like that. I don't worry about money anymore. It's not that I have a lot of it, but I came to realize years ago what money is. It is a Renewable Resource Provided By The Lord on a As Needed Basis and as hard as I try I cannot find the bottom of His Very Deep Pockets.

Dennis
Old 09-29-15, 10:14 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
7Milesout

I don't worry about thinks like that. I don't worry about money anymore. It's not that I have a lot of it, but I came to realize years ago what money is. It is a Renewable Resource Provided By The Lord on a As Needed Basis and as hard as I try I cannot find the bottom of His Very Deep Pockets.

Dennis
I know this is off of the general topic of this thread, but I wanted to express my gratitude to you for making such a statement that couldn't be any more true.
Not to say this rational is an excuse to be financially irresponsible, but in life even with planning and structure, things happen, and sometimes, its a rainstorm. But, in grand and humble gesture, through Him, we all prosper.
Regarding tires:
I'm sure I could google this and I actually knew how at one point but have since forgotten, but its more fun to ask my CL buddies:
How do you check the manufacture date on tires and what's an acceptable range to accept regarding the age of the tire before its placed into service on ones' vehicle?

Quick Reply: Anyone tried the Pirelli CINTURATO P7?