LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Front shocks are only lasting 10,000km

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-15, 02:15 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Front shocks are only lasting 10,000km

My 07 460 is now on its 3rd set of front shocks ( air suspension) . I drive always in comfort mode and they get very rattly and make chattering noises as soon as they get to 10k mark ... The dealer keeps replacing them as it's still in warranty but it seems crazy ... Does this still happen with the 2013 onwards upgrade model too ??
Old 08-29-15, 02:47 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by LordBowral
My 07 460 is now on its 3rd set of front shocks ( air suspension) . I drive always in comfort mode and they get very rattly and make chattering noises as soon as they get to 10k mark ... The dealer keeps replacing them as it's still in warranty but it seems crazy ... Does this still happen with the 2013 onwards upgrade model too ??
Of all the technology sitting in that car, first thing that broke are mechanical component like the suspension... this technology been around for a while now but Toyota can't seems to get this right (or don't want to since it accelerate their products obsolescence). Someone at the dealer I paid 5k to change my rear set + actuators told me that those fitted on the LX are even worse. There was a revision on the shock and new ones get a different part number as per a service bulletin in 2012 (L-SB-0021-12), make sure the latest revision is installed. You can always rejoice as your warranty paid for itself. Wait until you deal with that kind of BS out of your own pocket while corporate won't even try to work with you even if it's your second ls600hl fully loaded. Been beating the **** out of my Subaru outback, worse that most people would ever do to their jeep (drove across the end of the Transtaïga this summer and back without a single issue), and with double the miles than the Lexus it still running perfectly fine on the original shocks. Lexus get pampered, barely driven on winter and mostly highway, less than half the mile of the subaru and suspension is falling apart. It's as if those shocks can barely support the weight the car.

Last edited by Vansibel; 08-29-15 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-29-15, 02:53 PM
Vansibel
Intermediate

On another note how can you guys drive 07 in 2015 and still having a warranty from the manufacturer ? As far as I can recall in Canada the highest warranty available from Lexus is 8 year.
Old 08-29-15, 03:10 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Vansibel
On another note how can you guys drive 07 in 2015 and still having a warranty from the manufacturer ? As far as I can recall in Canada the highest warranty available from Lexus is 8 year.
The manufacturer warranty have expired and these are usually third party extended warranties.
Old 08-30-15, 01:38 PM
RayLS
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I have an '08 LS purchased Nov 2014 as a CPO with 3yr/100K mi warranty. Purchased additional Lexus VSA 3yr/ 25K mi. My warranty is good until Nov 2020 or 125K miles.
Old 08-30-15, 08:28 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

I purchased an extension to the original warranty . Its a full Lexus factory warranty and not third party which in my experience aren't worth the paper they are written on ! Ill be selling it before the 3 years are up in May next year as it has been a lifesaver and I wouldn't take the chance after it expires Cost was $2200 and so far nearly $25k in repairs . That's why im wondering if the '13 model year upgrade is more reliable
Old 08-30-15, 09:55 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by LordBowral
I purchased an extension to the original warranty . Its a full Lexus factory warranty and not third party which in my experience aren't worth the paper they are written on ! Ill be selling it before the 3 years are up in May next year as it has been a lifesaver and I wouldn't take the chance after it expires Cost was $2200 and so far nearly $25k in repairs . That's why im wondering if the '13 model year upgrade is more reliable
$25K in repairs? What else could possibly go wrong? I'm sure the '13 are more reliable but with all the repairs your LS should be like a new one.
Old 08-30-15, 10:38 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
$25K in repairs? What else could possibly go wrong? I'm sure the '13 are more reliable but with all the repairs your LS should be like a new one.
True! it is like new now but I want to replace it before the warranty expires and save myself any angst !
Old 08-31-15, 06:51 AM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
I don't know about $25K in repairs but my 08' has had $13K in repairs over the last 15 months.

All Bushings including one that failed one month after replacement $4800
Front Air shock right side $1900
Brake Actuator $2400
Front Air shock left side $1900
Brake Actuator #2 $2400
Radiator $500

These cars are in no way reliable.
Old 08-31-15, 07:25 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

$500 for a radiator? Was all that covered under warranty? I hope you didn't pay $500 for a radiator out of your pocket.

Wish I knew these cars werent reliable before I bought it. I mean in the year and a half I've owned mine I've had to change the oil, and now the thing needs brakes. Not to mention the gas I've put in it. It's terrible. Some cars break down and thing s happen. To say these cars aren't reliable is laughable.
Old 08-31-15, 07:56 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by greg3852
$500 for a radiator? Was all that covered under warranty? I hope you didn't pay $500 for a radiator out of your pocket.

Wish I knew these cars werent reliable before I bought it. I mean in the year and a half I've owned mine I've had to change the oil, and now the thing needs brakes. Not to mention the gas I've put in it. It's terrible. Some cars break down and thing s happen. To say these cars aren't reliable is laughable.
What about this:
Originally Posted by greg3852
Lexus HQ did ok by me. My car is an 07 and the car has had issues with the rear suspension making noise. They replaced a rear shock but that wasnt it. I found a TSIB that mentioned the noise, and upon inspection the dealership feels this is it. Cost is about 1300. Called Lexus HQ and they will cover the label if I buy the 200 part. So they are covering 1100. I am ok with that. Give them a chance and be polite and patient. Hope it works out for you
A year and an half of ownership is not much to assess a car reliability, what about work done by the previous owner ? This forum is riddled with peoples having suspension issues on this car. You can read all the "predicted" reliability reports you want dating back from the first 2 years that the car was introduced, can't beat real life ownership experience as shown on this forum. Yes a few people may not have any problems with the car but as far as I see it's not the majority. Even at 50% failure rate I wouldn't consider the ls suspension reliable. Most people are still satisfied because it was addressed under warranty. But a work under warranty is still a reliability concern even if you didn't paid for it.

Last edited by Vansibel; 08-31-15 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-31-15, 08:48 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

I'm still angry I have to have the oil changed every 5000 miles. Dang unreliable car!
Old 08-31-15, 08:55 AM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

You guys are funny!
I've put over 700,000 miles on Lexus cars over the past 22 years.
The last LS 430 I owned I traded with 250K miles.
That was on 02'. That was reliable . It was a UL too. The car was bullet proof. You'll see
Old 08-31-15, 09:48 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

That is a minor noise that doesn't affect the driving or anything else. Just an annoyance, won't stop me from calling the car reliable.
Old 08-31-15, 12:17 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

What about this:

A year and an half of ownership is not much to assess a car reliability, what about work done by the previous owner ? This forum is riddled with peoples having suspension issues on this car. You can read all the "predicted" reliability reports you want dating back from the first 2 years that the car was introduced, can't beat real life ownership experience as shown on this forum. Yes a few people may not have any problems with the car but as far as I see it's not the majority. Even at 50% failure rate I wouldn't consider the ls suspension reliable. Most people are still satisfied because it was addressed under warranty. But a work under warranty is still a reliability concern even if you didn't paid for it.
Lemon owners tend to gravitate towards car specific forums and car review sites to vent. It happens on every forum and it's a statistic. Majority of of trouble free owners are spending their time on Facebook, Ashley Madison and Amazon to vent about a broken coffee machine.

Quick Reply: Front shocks are only lasting 10,000km