LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Considering selling the LS - recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-15, 10:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbp
I agree with the above, too, but does OP's car have AWD, which he and his wife were apparently looking for? If not, I ca see the need for a new vehicle. That still could be an LS, of course.
I'd buy snow tires. A RWD LS on snow tires will be better than an AWD LS on all seasons. No AWD in 08, I believe 09 was the first year.

Originally Posted by Devh
I use to stigmatize minivans until I actually experienced how useful they are with getting my Sisters kids in and out of them when she had one as a loner. With their SUVs it's just the opposite of a car being that you are in low position and you have to lift the kid up and over not to mention the awkwardness of the seat belt accessibility trying to strap them in.
An SUV is a terrible kids vehicle but people still buy them.
Same here. I have said several times that the minivan was one of the best purchases I've ever made. It makes our lives with the kids so much easier, especially for my wife when she takes them out herself without me there with her.
Old 08-28-15, 02:54 PM
seekhalilg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the congratulations, all. It's our first and I'm beyond excited.

Great input in this thread that I do appreciate. I had the LS conditionally sold yesterday, though the deal didn't materialize and I can't help but feel a whole lot better about that. She's in pristine condition and I would have hated to actually part ways her.
That said, I'm still contemplating listing the LS on the US Autotrader to see if I can get $25.5k-$27k for it, and if so, the value may be there for me to part with it.

"Worst" case scenario: I winter tire up, she's already got a remote car starter and I'm ready to roll.

I'll keep the thread updated!
Old 08-29-15, 11:53 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Smile

[QUOTE=seekhalilg;9164179]Thanks for the responses. I'm thinking $25,500 as the sale price - any thoughts on that?
I see a few variations in pricing when I look similar cars up, though I can't tell whether or not they have clean Carfaxes while I peruse the listings.
Also - any idea if ebay is a useful medium in selling cars across the border?[/QUOT

I think the price is a little low for a low mileage '08 LS in excellent condition with a good service history. You shouldn't have a problem selling it at the price. Congrats on your new baby.
Old 08-31-15, 09:41 PM
quantumraj
Driver School Candidate

Not sure if buying/selling is allowed on the forums, but I am interested in your LS, and would like to bring it back home right next to AZ, Las Vegas actually, looking for a safe low mile car and your pricing is fair thus this message. Locally Lowest I am looking at is a 2009 34kmiles (LWB) with same features and dual DVD screens is 32k one owner local car and no tax on private party sale in nevada. just joined the forum to post this message. Please let me know details on the car and any details that you know about taxes when buying from Canada. If Location is vancouver it makes it easier with me being on west coast.. Thanks.
Old 09-08-15, 11:50 AM
Dryrunner
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Drive it to Detroit, park it with the keys in it, take the bus back to Canada and report it stolen, collect the insurance. You'll never see that car again.
Old 10-13-15, 09:41 AM
quantumraj
Driver School Candidate

Update: Never imagined i would end up buying the LS 460 SWB mentioned on this thread and drive it all the way from Calgary International Airport over to Vegas. but It was all in all an awesome experience meddling with Customs and doing an import and getting it registered locally, the process can be a little overwhelming at times. A total of 4-6 weeks effort where OP worked with me to see the deal through. Shipping would have worked slightly better but quotes were not to my liking. anywhere from 2.5k to 3.5k vs 1k including airfare and expenses to drive it back. Will post pictures soon.
Old 10-13-15, 10:18 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by quantumraj
Update: Never imagined i would end up buying the LS 460 SWB mentioned on this thread and drive it all the way from Calgary International Airport over to Vegas. but It was all in all an awesome experience meddling with Customs and doing an import and getting it registered locally, the process can be a little overwhelming at times. A total of 4-6 weeks effort where OP worked with me to see the deal through. Shipping would have worked slightly better but quotes were not to my liking. anywhere from 2.5k to 3.5k vs 1k including airfare and expenses to drive it back. Will post pictures soon.
good to hear! Congrats. I was surprised to hear early on in ths thread that the process was a hassle. Lots of American buyers get their cars up here and had no issues. Glad it worked out for you too.
Old 10-13-15, 02:08 PM
aeggroup
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by quantumraj
Hi. Could you please describe the process of buying a Canadian car and all fees associated with it. I'm also thinking to buy a car from Canada ( MB GL350 with AMG package) and have never spoken to anybody who has done it.

Thanks.
Old 10-14-15, 01:57 PM
quantumraj
Driver School Candidate

Post Canada to US - Import Process that I followed

A little Verbose, but hopefully this would come in handy for situations similar to mine.

Once you know then import process becomes straight forward. As the new owner you have to be at the border to do the paperwork so can't have someone else drive it for you like the seller or a friend. Alternatively you hire a broker and ship it, or shipper charges for shipping and brokerage in his quote. "Read expensive!!"

Used Car originally an import (defined as a car made outside of US/Canada/Mexico region)
There is an import/customs duty up-to 4% can also vary on type of vehicle, if you are buying vehicles classified as construction equipment or commercial trucks the duty can be as high as 25%. Know that there is a gas guzzler tax lol, that I learnt about the first time while researching this and applies to a lot of German Vehicles. I wonder how LS 460 missed that classification.

In my case I bought a car originally sold in the US where the US customs has collected import duties and did waive duties "Once I showed a proof."

- I showed a Carfax and Car inspection was done by USCBP official to make sure of the VIN# and EPA stickers.
- Having a copy of some original details like an Original Sticker/Dealer Invoice etc is a big plus. I did not have this.
- Letter from manufacturer stating the vin#/vehicle is compliant to country laws (DOT, NHTSA, EPA)

Forms that were filled out at the CBP office, are as follows.

- USCBP FORM 7501/OMB No. 1651-0022
- EPA_Declaration_OMB/No. 2060-0095
- DOT NHTSA Declaration - OMB No. 2127-0002, Public Law 100--562, 49 USC Chap.301

Above are easy to fill out because USCBP Official hands you highlighted example forms that are prefilled. Total Time if you are prepared is 20-30 min max. USCBP official is going to stamp with their official seal all the above in RED ink.

To Complete a sale you are still required to have appropriate paperwork form DMV.
In Nevada DMV would usually not register it until following is complete along with above USCBP import forms

- Title
- Smog/Emissions Test
- VIN inspection
- Insurance
- Local DMV format "Bill of Sale"

VERY IMPORTANT
Since Canada doesn't have TITLES like in the US, there are special requirements to register arising out of "No Title" situation. In Canada there is a "Registration" on the back of which seller signs the transfer along with Odometer details. In my view more efficient but whatever.

- Complete a LIEN search based on VIN# of the car you are buying. A normal report won't find any matches which means you are good. It may find inexact vin# matches which is also normal. Lots of companies online offer this search service and may charge $12-$35 canadian. Use a Originating Country Lien Search agency/website. Mine said ppsa DOT ca and I liked it over others because the header graphic read "Government of Alberta, CA" and it was not expensive.

- You get an affidavit "Statement of Facts" a Local DMV FORM filled out by seller that is Notarized at Canada. In my case it was Nevada DMV Form VP22 (Rev 05/10). Just as fyi this Notary fee unlike US is a little expensive @ $50 a document.

I didn't know these important details and it caused delays with registration (4-6 weeks) as I had to seek sellers help again and he is a gentleman.

Remember to get a "Permit" and Insurance to drive the procured vehicle from origination (port of entry) until your city/state. Plates are to be kept by seller and not having above documents would be both illegal, unsafe and you will be sweating bullets every time you see highway patrol, not worth it. well i was sweating bullets even after having all the above. :-)

Of course to travel to Canada, you require a passport or a passport card and immigration stamp at entry or airport, this is not required if seller can meet you at US CBP and you don't intend to enter Canada but turn around and head back. I would still carry a valid passport and other form of identification.

In my case I took a flight did immigration and started driving with the seller and he turned around at CBP on a rental whereas I continued to US.

Finally stop at the first gas station, fill the baby up "PREMIUM", get a case of Hot Peanuts/Coke for the drive back. I had a blast driving this down for 1400 miles without a PLATE in next 18 hours (no one stopped me and i wished they would as I had required Permit). In my case the crossing was Sweetgrass MT and it was scary for the first 5 hours from there to Pocatello (8:00 pm to 1:00am), with deer peeking from sides ready to jump on the road at the middle of night. There was not a single vehicle that I came across in the first 3-4 hours.

~best

disclaimer: Car I procured is registered currently but I don't have a TITLE yet so keeping my fingers crossed until I get it in the mail. There may be additions to above if there is an issue regarding that. Also this is just the process I followed and there could be other unique situations with different requirements so do your due diligence.
Attached Files
File Type: rar
import_forms.rar (648.4 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by quantumraj; 10-14-15 at 02:24 PM. Reason: CBP form attachments
Old 10-14-15, 03:03 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel your pain!

I drove my unregistered car 800 miles from California to Washington on a Washington 3-day "trip permit." Washington took the position that such a permit was just as good as a Washington plate, but I wasn't sure what California or Oregon cops would have thought of it. A couple of times on the drive up I-5 they got behind me and I got a little nervous! But they didn't bug me, probably because I was driving very cautiously and they could see some kind of permit visible in my rear window.
Old 10-14-15, 07:23 PM
AMACK
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I am ready to find my LS460L.

I am in South Florida and ready for a 2007 or 2008 LS460L. It seems like they are not plentiful. I would like under 100k miles, ride height option, cooling seat option for front and rear and rear memory seats. I am not sure what that package is called, I only know what buttons to look for.(I think)

Any advice or direction you have, I appreciate it.

To all the members who are contributing, Thank you. For you are the reason that I am able to learn so much on the topics I am interested. I look forward to joining the LS460 family real soon
Old 10-14-15, 08:22 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AMACK
I am not sure what that package is called, I only know what buttons to look for.(I think)
"Rear Seat Upgrade." But almost no one will use those words in the ad. You're looking for "SET/C/M" buttons on the rear door handles, seat controls in the rear armrest, or a "rear seat return" button in the "4 buttons" in the console.

That's a rare beast and you'll need to look nationally to have a decent chance of finding one in good shape.
Old 10-25-15, 04:33 AM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

In a similar boat but keeping the LS. Moving the wifes TL and Cayenne and just picked up a 12 MDX (freaking awesome).