LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Considering selling the LS - recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-15, 09:21 AM
seekhalilg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering selling the LS - recommendations?

Gents,

As some of you may have read in a prior thread, I picked up a mint LS for a killer price earlier this year. The car is an '08 with Comfort Plus package, ML stereo and Advanced Parking Guidance, and currently has 31,500 miles. It has a clean Carfax, has had all recalls taken care of at Lexus of Edmonton and has been serviced at the same. The car looks and drives like new.

It absolutely pains me to have to consider selling it, but I have a baby on the way and another AWD SUV is what the wife is pushing for (we also have a Highlander). After looking at comparable cars for sale, it appears as though I can get a fair bit more value by selling the car to a US buyer as opposed to a Canadian buyer - thanks to the poor value of the Canadian dollar.
My question is this:
If I'm looking to sell this in the US, where do you recommend that I place the car for sale? Auto trader? Cars.com? Other?
Also, what would you recommend that the car be priced at so that it's not sitting on the market for too long? Shipping would have to be tacked on to the price, and would vary based upon where a buyer is looking to have it shipped. I would also be open to meeting somewhere halfway (depending on distance) or someone may opt to fly up here and drive it down.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.
Old 08-27-15, 10:18 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

I'm not sure if they offer this in your country, but escrow.com has a car selling service where they can be the middle man with a private party sell. The buyer submits funds to escrow, then after the car is received, escrow releases the funds to the seller.

They also offer inspection and shipping services.

I would list it on both the services you mentioned. The more, the quicker it will sell.
Old 08-27-15, 12:39 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

I'd recommend posting lots of pictures, obtaining a Carfax report as well as a copy of the online Lexus service, and stating you have those available on request and/or including some screenshots as part of your picture gallery.

You want your private sales listing to stand out from others.
Old 08-27-15, 02:15 PM
seekhalilg
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses. I'm thinking $25,500 as the sale price - any thoughts on that?
I see a few variations in pricing when I look similar cars up, though I can't tell whether or not they have clean Carfaxes while I peruse the listings.
Also - any idea if ebay is a useful medium in selling cars across the border?
Old 08-27-15, 02:31 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been using Autotrader for my past few cars and things have worked out wonderfully. I usually go on there and look at what other similar cars in private party are asking and price mine accordingly. Next, I really get the car cleaned up, throw on some wax/sealant, then take a tripod + digital camera and take some good shots of the exterior and interior. It sounds like your car is in excellent shape with low miles so you can ask top dollar for yours. I have consistently sold mine for roughly max bluebook value (+/- $200 usually) for private sale. It's always best if you take your time, if you feel like you can get a better offer, hold out for a while -don't rush. Also make sure the other party comes to see the car in person and pays either in cashier's check (safest), or cash (I make them meet me at my bank). Good luck with your sale and next car! Any ideas what you'll be getting?
Old 08-27-15, 02:50 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

If your car has KM units as the primary unit displaying on the cluster, I (personally), as a U.S. consumer, would not buy it. It wouldn't matter how great the car is, that would forever get on my nerves, and every person in the car would ask about it, continuously ripping open that scab.

No offense to you or your car. And I'm probably in the minority on this. But that's my open and honest feeling.

7milesout
Old 08-27-15, 03:16 PM
seekhalilg
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, CarGuy. A 2010-2013 MDX Elite is likely next on the list...and a 13+ LS460 soon thereafter!

7milesout - the car is originally from the States (Phoenix, AZ) and is still full in miles and Fahrenheit. I agree that it would be a tough sell if it was a Canadian car.
Old 08-27-15, 03:37 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by seekhalilg
Thanks for the responses. I'm thinking $25,500 as the sale price - any thoughts on that?
I see a few variations in pricing when I look similar cars up, though I can't tell whether or not they have clean Carfaxes while I peruse the listings.
Also - any idea if ebay is a useful medium in selling cars across the border?
If the $25.5K is in USD, I think that's a little low., given your mileage, the car's features, and if it's in pristine condition. Personally, if $25.5K is acceptable to you, I'd start somewhat higher and "reluctantly" negotiate a slightly lower price (if the buyer requests it) that's at or a little above your acceptable price. Perhaps start at $27K?

Disclaimer: I last looked at prices several months ago, have never done this before, and probably don't know what I'm talking about, so factor that in when reading this post, LOL.
Old 08-27-15, 06:06 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by seekhalilg
7milesout - the car is originally from the States (Phoenix, AZ) and is still full in miles and Fahrenheit. I agree that it would be a tough sell if it was a Canadian car.
In that case I agree with Gpb.
Old 08-27-15, 08:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Congratulations on the baby!

Is this your first? If so, I would wait to sell it if you really don't want to until the baby is born and you see what your needs will be. I have 6 month old twins myself. The LS is actually a very good car for a baby. It has a great backseat, rear facing car seats fit great, better than in many SUVs, likely including your Highlander.

You'll find you think you need to make a lot of changes that you really don't need to make.
Old 08-27-15, 09:39 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Where were you when I was looking for my car? I wound up with an identically configured car, but with slightly more miles. And I paid more than $25.5k for it, although it had been in California its whole life and that was worth a bit of a premium to me. You should set the initial price higher given the rarity of the car's configuration.
Old 08-28-15, 06:23 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on the baby! Fun times are ahead .

Is this a LWB or a SWB version? We are in the hunt for another LS and keeping our options open.

And as far as a baby hauler, I will agree with SW15LS that an LS is one of the best baby haulers. Wife thought she wanted an SUV until she realized that none have the leg room of a LWB. That added space makes getting the kiddo in and out so easy.
Old 08-28-15, 06:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Even the SWB, a car seat installed in my SWB LS rear facing fits perfect, even with our seats in front adjusted for comfort (we're tall).

Like I said, you think you will need a lot of stuff you don't need. You don't need two big SUVs.

If anything, I would reccomend you think about a minivan before I bought another SUV. I was made a believer when we got ours. Loading them is so much easier with the sliding doors, and the flat load floor swallows much more than an SUV will for trips and such.

Even that though you don't NEED.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-28-15 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-28-15, 06:58 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
Congrats on the baby! Fun times are ahead .

Is this a LWB or a SWB version? We are in the hunt for another LS and keeping our options open.

And as far as a baby hauler, I will agree with SW15LS that an LS is one of the best baby haulers. Wife thought she wanted an SUV until she realized that none have the leg room of a LWB. That added space makes getting the kiddo in and out so easy.
I agree with the above, too, but does OP's car have AWD, which he and his wife were apparently looking for? If not, I ca see the need for a new vehicle. That still could be an LS, of course.
Old 08-28-15, 08:18 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Even the SWB, a car seat installed in my SWB LS rear facing fits perfect, even with our seats in front adjusted for comfort (we're tall).

Like I said, you think you will need a lot of stuff you don't need. You don't need two big SUVs.

If anything, I would reccomend you think about a minivan before I bought another SUV. I was made a believer when we got ours. Loading them is so much easier with the sliding doors, and the flat load floor swallows much more than an SUV will for trips and such.

Even that though you don't NEED.
I use to stigmatize minivans until I actually experienced how useful they are with getting my Sisters kids in and out of them when she had one as a loner. With their SUVs it's just the opposite of a car being that you are in low position and you have to lift the kid up and over not to mention the awkwardness of the seat belt accessibility trying to strap them in.
An SUV is a terrible kids vehicle but people still buy them.

Quick Reply: Considering selling the LS - recommendations?