LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2012 LS, Dealer and Lexus say CPO or regular warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-15, 07:51 AM
BB11
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 LS, Dealer and Lexus say CPO or regular warranty

Lexus says Dealer or CPO, not both. I thought i had read prople saying they had both. Has Lexus changes their policy?

Thanks.
Old 08-26-15, 07:59 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

If powertrain-related, you actually have 3 warranties. 6/70 powertrain, 4/50 B2B, and 3/100 CPO.
http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdriver...ce/warranty.do
Old 08-26-15, 08:09 AM
BB11
Intermediate

So only powertrain, interesting that Lexux left that out of our conversation. But i lose everything else covered in regular warranty

How about suspension? What else might i lose (only 9 months so not a huge deal).
Old 08-26-15, 08:23 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Editorial comment: When you create new threads about the purchase of a particular car, it's harder to keep track of the prior information, and you might find yourself re-explaining tne context. This question pertains to the 2012 LS460 you discussed earlier and on which you were working with a manager instead of a pushy salesman, correct?

As long as the car is still under its basic warranty and as long as a CPO warranty would extend coverage beyond the car's basic warranty, then it makes no sense to say the car can't have both warranties. I believe the car would be covered under the basic warranty until it expired, then the car would be covered under the CPO warranty for the remaining term (3 years from the date of purchase) and miles (100,000).

Get clarification from the manager (whom I thought you were dealing with) if necessary.
Old 08-26-15, 08:25 AM
BB11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gbp
Editorial comment: When you create new threads about the purchase of a particular car, it's harder to keep track of the prior information, and you might find yourself re-explaining tne context. This question pertains to the 2012 LS460 you discussed earlier,correct?

As long as the car is still under its basic warranty and as long as a CPO warranty would extend coverage beyond the car's basic warranty, then it makes no sense to say the car can't have both warranties. I believe the car would be covered under the basic warranty until it expired, then the car would be covered under the CPO warranty for the remaining term (3 years from the date of purchase) and miles (100,000).

Get clarification from the manager (whom I thought you were dealing with) if necessary.
Yes, you are correct about the car.. Lexus only said I cannot have both, so if your information is correct that is better, thanks. Either way I would be covered by what they offer, and a car with 20,000 miles should hopefully have little if any issues.
Old 08-26-15, 08:35 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

If you were told that you will only be covered under the basic warranty until that expires, after which you will be covered under the CPO warranty until that expires, that seems correct. Keep in mind that the CPO warranty begins on the date of purchase, so when the basic warranty ends, you'll have less than 3 years remaining on the CPO warranty.
Old 08-26-15, 11:49 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbp
If you were told that you will only be covered under the basic warranty until that expires, after which you will be covered under the CPO warranty until that expires, that seems correct. Keep in mind that the CPO warranty begins on the date of purchase, so when the basic warranty ends, you'll have less than 3 years remaining on the CPO warranty.
This is right. I have before heard some misinformed dealers say that the 4/50 warranty disappears on a CPO car. That is not the case, and the warranties will coexist, indeed diminishing the life of the CPO warranty post 4/50 new car warranty.

Where are you shopping, if you don't mind my asking?
Old 08-26-15, 12:02 PM
retlex
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I was given the option with an extended manufacturer warranty or CPO. I opted for the CPO for the following reasons. The in service date for my car was 7/2011. I purchased the car 8/2014. With the 8 years/100k manufacture warranty, this would take me to 2019. A CPO platinum warranty 6/100k would take me to 2020. Looking at the specifics of each warranty exclusions show no difference.

Last edited by retlex; 08-26-15 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-26-15, 12:09 PM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by retlex
I was given the option with an extended manufacturer warranty or CPO. I opted for the CPO for the following reasons. The in service date for my car was 7/2011. I purchased the car 8/2014. With the 8 years/100k manufacture warranty, this would take me to 2019. A CPO platinum warranty 6/100k would take me to 2020. Looking at the specifics of each warranty exclusions show no difference.
Correct, they are verbatim the same. No-brainer in your case, given the in-service date of the car.
Old 08-26-15, 12:28 PM
BB11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gbp
I was confused as they said I could have one or the other, not both and if I get the CPO which to me is a no brainer than I do not have the remainder of the Lexus new car warranty. This was told to me by the dealer and a lexus CS rep but i will call again. I know the CPO starts immediately, not an issue, with the miles I put on a car it will go for the years... thanks, another call is in order
Old 08-26-15, 01:00 PM
retlex
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

BB11, the cars original 4 year/50k warranty is in effect until it expires. For example, even though I bought my CPO warranty at the day of purchase of the car, my manufacturer warranty is the one which the dealership will use for warranty work until it expires-after which the CPO will take over. The purchase date of your CPO is only a start date and a countdown for the number of years you purchased.
Old 08-26-15, 01:25 PM
BB11
Intermediate

Thanks retlex and others. Just got off the phone with Lexus again, this time I got a very good CS rep who put me int the warranty department and it was as you all have said and what had been my original belief. Not sure why the dealer thought the regular warranty was up when I took the CPO, maybe just a misunderstanding. So this car was put into service on 11/12 and that means the 4 years to to 12/16 and the CPO would then have 2 years and 8 or so months left on it (unless they try to up-sell me to a 5 year as I just found out they can, and then it would depend on what they would want to charge. I wish I had know before and then I would have tried to put it into my price negotiations with them but I believe they have been fair on that and as a ex sales professional I would always want to honor my word...
Old 08-26-15, 04:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts
Default 2012 LS, Dealer and Lexus say CPO or regular warranty

Another option is to ask them how much they could take off the car if they did not sell it certified. Then you could use that money toward a longer term platinum warranty that might be better for you since the years are more important to you than the term.
Old 08-26-15, 05:30 PM
BB11
Intermediate

The deal appears to be off. I have been asking the dealer for their reciprocal licensing number to offer me a trade value (trade difference for tax purposes, so I do not have to pay the entire tax). Well tonight I finally got some info that says it is 95% certain that they cannot offer this to me for MA, they cannot guarantee this, so when I would go to DMV I would have to pay an additional $2000 in taxes as my trade would not be counted for a discount in taxes done with an unlicensed dealer (with the Dept. of Revenue in Massachusetts). Be aware that I asked for this information this morning as I was told verbally that it would not be a problem that they were licensed, but I insisted on a number so I could call department of revenue myself (I called them today, took 2 hours to get through but they need the number not the dealers name). So it is MA that is making it hard but the dealer did not know the information. The manager is a very nice person but there are not 3 things that we had to work on... I have to move on, I am still trying to verify this with their agency but I am 99% certainI will be buying a car from a MA dealer, no other choice for me. If they would have offered me a deal (but they say they are not making any money on this deal) I would have considered it, but as they say, life goes on. Thanks for all of your patience with me, I guess my search is not yet over....
Old 08-26-15, 06:25 PM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by BB11
The deal appears to be off. I have been asking the dealer for their reciprocal licensing number to offer me a trade value (trade difference for tax purposes, so I do not have to pay the entire tax). Well tonight I finally got some info that says it is 95% certain that they cannot offer this to me for MA, they cannot guarantee this, so when I would go to DMV I would have to pay an additional $2000 in taxes as my trade would not be counted for a discount in taxes done with an unlicensed dealer (with the Dept. of Revenue in Massachusetts). Be aware that I asked for this information this morning as I was told verbally that it would not be a problem that they were licensed, but I insisted on a number so I could call department of revenue myself (I called them today, took 2 hours to get through but they need the number not the dealers name). So it is MA that is making it hard but the dealer did not know the information. The manager is a very nice person but there are not 3 things that we had to work on... I have to move on, I am still trying to verify this with their agency but I am 99% certainI will be buying a car from a MA dealer, no other choice for me. If they would have offered me a deal (but they say they are not making any money on this deal) I would have considered it, but as they say, life goes on. Thanks for all of your patience with me, I guess my search is not yet over....
I went through this last year when I bought my car - always a delight...

Where is the dealership you've been trying to buy from? If it's on the east coast, you'd be surprised at how many are registered with MA DOR (even if the dealerships don't know it); further out, it could be a different story. There is a website I stumbled upon where one can search the ID # for a business, and if I can find it again, I will share.

At any rate, I don't blame you, but someone at that dealership should know the ID number (if they really want to do the legwork). Alternatively, you're right that it would be easier to purchase locally. Personally, I didn't, for both my former and current LS, because the quality of local 460 inventory was absolutely terrible back then (even for CPOs) and 600hs are a rare find (respectively). However, there are good ones out there.

Good luck either way.

Quick Reply: 2012 LS, Dealer and Lexus say CPO or regular warranty