LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2012 LS, Dealer and Lexus say CPO or regular warranty

Old 08-27-15, 05:11 AM
BB11
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caha14
I went through this last year when I bought my car - always a delight...

Where is the dealership you've been trying to buy from? If it's on the east coast, you'd be surprised at how many are registered with MA DOR (even if the dealerships don't know it); further out, it could be a different story. There is a website I stumbled upon where one can search the ID # for a business, and if I can find it again, I will share.

At any rate, I don't blame you, but someone at that dealership should know the ID number (if they really want to do the legwork). Alternatively, you're right that it would be easier to purchase locally. Personally, I didn't, for both my former and current LS, because the quality of local 460 inventory was absolutely terrible back then (even for CPOs) and 600hs are a rare find (respectively). However, there are good ones out there.

Good luck either way.
The dealer is in lower CT near the NYC area. The dealer does not know his ID number, they have an outside agency do their out of state registrations and they were told by the agency that they were 955 certain that they were not registered in MA. I was told I could call the agency to find out. This whole experience has been very interesting, sometimes walking away is the best choice.

Thanks for your feedback
Old 08-27-15, 07:55 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by BB11
The dealer is in lower CT near the NYC area. The dealer does not know his ID number, they have an outside agency do their out of state registrations and they were told by the agency that they were 955 certain that they were not registered in MA. I was told I could call the agency to find out. This whole experience has been very interesting, sometimes walking away is the best choice.

Thanks for your feedback
Alas, sometimes walking away is best. If they care about making a sale, they should be willing to do some legwork.

Last year, a dealer in NY that I was in conversations with, in addition to being the most dishonest and unprofessional car operation I have ever dealt with (by far, Lexus or otherwise), consistently acted like it was a major inconvenience to sell to people in MA and assured me that they were not registered with Mass DOR. Guess what: they are registered...

Incidentally, the car I was looking at is still for sale, 15 months later, which shows what brilliant business people they are, but I digress!

There are all kinds of dealers out there, and you are better off transacting with a place with whom the experience feels right and not "interesting" (to borrow your words).

Last edited by caha14; 08-27-15 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-27-15, 08:18 AM
BB11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by caha14
Alas, sometimes walking away is best. If they care about making a sale, they should be willing to do some legwork.

Last year, a dealer in NY that I was in conversations with, in addition to being the most dishonest and unprofessional car operation I have ever dealt with (by far, Lexus or otherwise), consistently acted like it was a major inconvenience to sell to people in MA and assured me that they were not registered with Mass DOR. Guess what: they are registered...

Incidentally, the car I was looking at is still for sale, 15 months later, which shows what brilliant business people they are, but I digress!

There are all kinds of dealers out there, and you are better off transacting with a place with whom the experience feels right and not "interesting" (to borrow your words).

Interesting, this CT dealer also has a place in NY but I am not going back, kind of soured me.

Thanks. If they don'y know or are unwilling to fond out about their certification then not for me. I am very detailed oriented, have a masters andpracticed as a psychotherapist before going into sales and then marketing. I always made sure to know as much as i could about my budiness, more than my customer. In this case i knew more on a couple of items than the dealer dies. Very sad.
Old 08-27-15, 09:05 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

I bought my first CPO LS from a dealer 1900 miles away and had it shipped to me. Painless, easy and I picked from lcpo.com's nationwide list to find the best car for me (leave zip code blank and it will show all cars nationwide). You can ask the selling dealer to send additional detail pictures (I did this) to confirm the car's condition. I'm very happy with my decision!
Old 08-27-15, 09:07 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

http://www.lcpo.com/VehicleSearchRes...0&maxYear=2015
Old 08-27-15, 11:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

My guess is you will never find a dealer or a salesman that knows more than you do. I never have.

When we got the Kia one sales manager blew the deal for his salesman because he told me that I wouldn't get a tax benefit from trading our Jeep in because the Jeep and the Kia were financed by different companies. I knew that was not true because I have done it many, many times. He insisted it was the case, so I drove up the road to another dealer and did the same deal and got my tax benefit. Moron.
Old 08-27-15, 02:57 PM
BB11
Intermediate

I got a call today from the dealer in CT telling me that they are licensed to get me the tax credit, I don't trust them. The message was left on my machine where it will stay.
Old 08-27-15, 03:24 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by BB11
I got a call today from the dealer in CT telling me that they are licensed to get me the tax credit, I don't trust them. The message was left on my machine where it will stay.
Have the dealer (preferably the manager, as you don't want a salesperson to try to renege on the deal by blaming it on the manager) put *all* the terms of the sale in writing, including OTD price with your trade-in. This should be in the form of a sales contract with his signature. Make the sale contingent on a satisfactory (to you) pre-purchase inspection, your own visual inspection, and a test drive. This should again be written and signed off by the manager.

If you don't want the car or can't come to agreeable terms, then pass; otherwise do your due diligence. This should apply to whomever you buy from. Just my $.02.
Old 08-27-15, 04:37 PM
BB11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gbp
Have the dealer (preferably the manager, as you don't want a salesperson to try to renege on the deal by blaming it on the manager) put *all* the terms of the sale in writing, including OTD price with your trade-in. This should be in the form of a sales contract with his signature. Make the sale contingent on a satisfactory (to you) pre-purchase inspection, your own visual inspection, and a test drive. This should again be written and signed off by the manager.

If you don't want the car or can't come to agreeable terms, then pass; otherwise do your due diligence. This should apply to whomever you buy from. Just my $.02.
Ahhhh, it was the manager I was dealing with. I just do not have a great feeling about this place.

And yes, I always do my research and that is why I found out about the tax situation in the first place, it is sometimes a long process but generally worth it.
Old 08-27-15, 05:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I was at the dealer today for service, they have a nice looking CPO 2012, its black but was in great shape. 21k miles, has ML but no comfort plus. It was sitting out front and I instantly thought of you:

http://www.lexusofrockville.com/Vehi...-MD/2595940523

I'd be happy to go take a spin in it for you, and I have a good salesman and manager there that I know would take good care of you.
Old 08-28-15, 10:24 AM
Junesy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I was at the dealer today for service, they have a nice looking CPO 2012, its black but was in great shape. 21k miles, has ML but no comfort plus. It was sitting out front and I instantly thought of you:

http://www.lexusofrockville.com/Vehi...-MD/2595940523

I'd be happy to go take a spin in it for you, and I have a good salesman and manager there that I know would take good care of you.
My experience at Lexus of Rockville, MD is much different. I have no ax to grind one way or another, but they messed with me so badly that I have never had a worse car buying experience before.

They refused to answer direct questions like "what is the total price of the car, with all fees, so that I can prepare a cashier's check?"!

They were either extremely aggressive in trying to get me to "stop by to speak with the manager" OR totally unresponsive. Their "no-haggle" policy was pure BS. No need to name names, because I think it is a systemic problem as each salesman and manager I spoke to there was the same.

In the end, I'm so happy they were unresponsive and a pain to deal with because I didn't buy from them. I ended up getting a much better car — CPO 2011 LS460 with Sport Package — half the mileage of the Rockville car I was considering, much better condition, and all that for a price that was lower by $2.5K!

Point being in a nutshell: buyer beware at Lexus of Rockville.
Old 08-28-15, 10:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I've bought a couple of cars there, as have other people I know. I have a specific salesman that I use and a specific manager and I've always been treated well. Never bought pre-owned, but a friend of mine did and he was equally happy.

I've also had good experiences locally at Lindsay Lexus in Alexandria, and Lexus of Annapolis.
Old 08-28-15, 08:29 PM
Junesy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My impression is that Lexus of Rockville keeps the new sales dept. and the used sales dept. very separate, much more so than most other Lexus dealers. Glad to hear you've had good experiences with them. In fairness, I've had some decent experiences with Rockville's parts dept. They sold and programmed a replacement key fob for a previous Lexus of mine for nearly $100 less than their local competition (Lindsay and Silver Spring). I'll be checking out Anapolis — I've heard good things about them. Thanks for your feedback SW15LS.
Old 08-28-15, 08:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah Annapolis was great, it's just so far away...