LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Found a low mileage 2012, price seems high end

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-15, 12:12 PM
BB11
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Found a low mileage 2012, price seems high end

These cars are few and far between, I did find a 2012 in a color I am ok with, it does not have many options, Nav, etc.. that is ok... 20,000 miles on this 2012, certified, pushy dealer, that is also ok as I can walk away. Priced at just under $42000, Kelly says $41K, Edmonds says $40K.

Problem is finding one.. Is this too high to consider (I know this is a personal question, just curious on your thoughts on getting online estimates and how real world they are.

Thanks
BB
Old 08-24-15, 12:36 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

I can't speak as to the accuracy of KBB, Edmunds, etc for used car pricing. Every car is different, and some people put higher values on certain colors and options than others. I like to use 3rd party sites, such as Cargurus.com, which shows pricing history (except for Texas cars) and how long the car has been listed on the site. I don't necessarily trust their estimated market value figures, because I don't know what methodology they use.

All I can say is that you don't seem very enthusiastic about this car. If that's true, wait for the right car, and figure out how much you are willing to pay for it.
Old 08-24-15, 12:40 PM
BB11
Intermediate

The car seems fine, I have asked for info on the packages and options, it is the salesperson that is putting me off mostly. Rush, rush, rush. I need time, he thinks I will drive to look at it and do a deal, not me. I may decide to leave a deposit but still too much unknown. Thanks
Old 08-24-15, 12:54 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

You can speak to the sales manager and request another sales person. It appears that the current one isn't the right match for you. It's doubtful the manager will say no and if he does, you can walk away like you said.
Old 08-24-15, 01:00 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I looked at several before I found the one I wanted. When it comes you will know its the right one.
Old 08-24-15, 02:36 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by greg3852
I looked at several before I found the one I wanted. When it comes you will know its the right one.
It took me 3 months to find the options, color, low mileage and right price. Well worth the wait for me. If you pass this one up a better deal will always come along.
Old 08-24-15, 02:41 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by BB11
Rush, rush, rush. I need time, he thinks I will drive to look at it and do a deal, not me.
Good for you, that takes discipline.

Use the Edmunds valuation as a bargaining chip. Hand the sales guy a printout. The conversation will go something like -

BB11 - Here is what Edmunds, the most respected car valuation site, has valued this vehicle. I really should get a better deal than $40K, but I would be fine if we do the deal at that price. I have a $1000 deposit to give you right now [hand a check to the salesman] if you want to sell the car today.

Salesman - Surely you can't be serious, we can't possibly sell the car at that price!

BB11 - I am serious, and don't call me Shirley. Well I don't see how anyone will overpay for the car. All buyers have the same information that I have. The only difference is I am here today ready to buy.

Salesman - We can't sell the car at this price.

BB11 - Well take my check and my offer to your manager. Either come back with a contract or my check.

(Note: Edmunds is not "the most respected car valuation site", but if they can use hyperbole, so can you )
Old 08-24-15, 05:04 PM
BB11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by swfla
You can speak to the sales manager and request another sales person. It appears that the current one isn't the right match for you. It's doubtful the manager will say no and if he does, you can walk away like you said.
I am now dealing with the manager who offered the car for an overnight so I could get the feel of it. We also worked together on a couple of other things.... I have set up a meeting with a body shop by my house to take a look at the car for any body damage... The dealer seems very good and I explained I did not want to complain about the salesman but he was a bit too aggressive with me. The manager was most helpful and I will go there later this week.
Old 08-24-15, 05:08 PM
BB11
Intermediate

Thanks Nospinzone, I also checked on Cargurus as was suggested, the pricing with all is close with CarGurus have the highest price, the dealer seems to be working with me on price by giving me some things I want and not charging, sure it is cheaper for him that way but that is ok.So price is closer to where I wanted to be. I am still not sure of the options I think only NAV, hoping it may have a bit more but I will go see it, they have another one or two with a tad more miles.

Thanks again

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Good for you, that takes discipline.

Use the Edmunds valuation as a bargaining chip. Hand the sales guy a printout. The conversation will go something like -

BB11 - Here is what Edmunds, the most respected car valuation site, has valued this vehicle. I really should get a better deal than $40K, but I would be fine if we do the deal at that price. I have a $1000 deposit to give you right now [hand a check to the salesman] if you want to sell the car today.

Salesman - Surely you can't be serious, we can't possibly sell the car at that price!

BB11 - I am serious, and don't call me Shirley. Well I don't see how anyone will overpay for the car. All buyers have the same information that I have. The only difference is I am here today ready to buy.

Salesman - We can't sell the car at this price.

BB11 - Well take my check and my offer to your manager. Either come back with a contract or my check.

(Note: Edmunds is not "the most respected car valuation site", but if they can use hyperbole, so can you )
Old 08-24-15, 05:10 PM
BB11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
It took me 3 months to find the options, color, low mileage and right price. Well worth the wait for me. If you pass this one up a better deal will always come along.
I have 3 colors in mine, white, silver and the darker gray, with gray or black interiors. White would be my first choice, this one is silver. Much will depend on how it drives, I may opt to look at the slightly higher mileage one (31K) depending on condition and options.

I can wait if I have to, I really hate my present car and want to get out of it but I can wait.
Old 08-24-15, 06:20 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Doesn't have Nav or ML? It's a "stripper" - a loss leader for dealers to get you into the showroom and then sell you up. As a "stripper" (use that word in your negotiation), it's not a very desirable car and will likely sit there for quite some time. They know this so should be VERY flexible on price.
Old 08-24-15, 06:47 PM
BB11
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Doesn't have Nav or ML? It's a "stripper" - a loss leader for dealers to get you into the showroom and then sell you up. As a "stripper" (use that word in your negotiation), it's not a very desirable car and will likely sit there for quite some time. They know this so should be VERY flexible on price.
It has Nav and AWD. The one with 31k has comfort, cold weather, intuitive parking asst....

No ML sound on either. I had been adverse to over 25,000 miles or so, that one is 31,000 miles.
Old 08-24-15, 09:33 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Condition matters more than mileage (up to a point much higher than we're discussing). I'd take the right car in perfect condition with 60k miles any day over the wrong car, or a car with condition issues, with 25k miles. If you really don't want ML, that's fine -- but if you do, even a bit, hold out for it.

I looked all over the country (and ultimately flew 800 miles) to find the car I wanted with ML and Comfort Plus. It had 44k miles, while some of the non-C+ cars I saw had 20k or fewer. I'm glad I chose the car I did every time I get in it, between the leather armrests and the sound quality.
Old 08-25-15, 05:07 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dal20402
Condition matters more than mileage (up to a point much higher than we're discussing). I'd take the right car in perfect condition with 60k miles any day over the wrong car, or a car with condition issues, with 25k miles. If you really don't want ML, that's fine -- but if you do, even a bit, hold out for it.

I looked all over the country (and ultimately flew 800 miles) to find the car I wanted with ML and Comfort Plus. It had 44k miles, while some of the non-C+ cars I saw had 20k or fewer. I'm glad I chose the car I did every time I get in it, between the leather armrests and the sound quality.
Couldn't agree more. I went with ML, Comfort Plus as well and couldn't imagine one without it. We drove one without it right after test driving the one I eventually bought and didn't make it out of the parking lot. It was that much of a difference to me. Not to mention, if I ever ride in the back (which is rare) I like to be able to recline the rear seats, turn on the air or heated seats and relax.
Old 08-25-15, 09:41 AM
BB11
Intermediate

Default Update on pkg and options

Got the sticker sent to me.
Cold weather pkk
Comfort pkg

Nav value edition

Accy pkg. Dior edge guards

Quick Reply: Found a low mileage 2012, price seems high end