LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Dealer tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-15, 08:34 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dealer tomorrow.

Going in for oil change. And a bunch of other things.

Headlight fogging up after car wash or rain.
Driver side window seal folds over badly, wind noise is evident.
Passenger side lumbar broken .

And finally. The front jerk when applying brakes. It's not there in the morning, gets worse as you start driving, feels like strut bar bushings, but all of the control arms were changed in February. Having a tech join me for a ride to show this problem to him. I'm staring to think it's either caliper, or brake actuator.

Will dust off the warranty and see what it does.

Wish me luck.
Old 08-24-15, 08:40 AM
BT3100
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Good luck!
The only area of concern I see are the window gaskets.
They will tell you that there not covered and bill you $750 to replace them.
Old 08-24-15, 08:42 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Good luck. Curious to hear your findings.
Old 08-24-15, 09:52 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I believe someone had good luck using silicone grease (or something like that I forget. Have some at home) on the window seals. Did all mine last year. Its the stuff divers use.
Old 08-24-15, 02:46 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
Wish me luck.
Break a leg!
Old 08-24-15, 02:51 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Maybe your warranty will cover most of the cost?
Old 08-24-15, 06:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Lexus extended warranty? It won't cover the headlight. I had the same issue with my 2003 ES and they wouldn't cover it.

Good luck!
Old 08-25-15, 06:30 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

So I went for a drive with the tech, who was very nice.
We finally agreed that the thud I get from braking is possibly the actuator or maybe brake shims.

He says alsmost all LS cars do this and they don't have a cure for it, but they will look at my car and see what they could do,
One fix is flushing the brake system, but that was done by previous owner right before I got the car.

He blames the brake by wire being to sensitive and over reacting. I would be ok with that if it was happening during panic stops, but it happens in stop and go traffic. It feels like the brake force applied to calipers is at max the first second then it releases, resulting in a noticeable and embarrassing thud. He offered to take out another LS to compare and show me that they all kind off do this. I declined due to lack of time, but also due to me not wanting to own a car with a problem like this. If every Ls feels like the front end is falling apart during braking ( which suspect they do t) then I don't want an LS anymore,
The interesting part is, the car feels great in the morning when you first start driving, and only gets worse 10 minutes into the drive.

This is the second time i bring the car in for this same reason, last time they found nothing wrong, this time I had a tech with me. I am thinking brake actuator is the source of the problem.

Got a Rx350 space cadet for a loaner. Was hoping for a GS since it's the only one I haven't driven before, but I don't think they have those. So far had a Is , es hybrid .

Will post results as they come in.
Old 08-25-15, 06:38 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

My car doesn't have any strange feel like you describe.
Old 08-25-15, 07:23 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,206 Likes on 956 Posts

If you do a search in the Ls 460 4th gen forum, you will not find a large number of people reporting this problem. I trust this more than a mechanic making excuses for an inability to troubleshoot. But it's up to you, who you believe.
Old 08-25-15, 08:31 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Thanks for chiming in guys.

I believe I shouldn't hear no banging noises from a Ls460 in stop and go traffic. I flat out said that to the mechanic.
I would hate to sell the car for this reason. The car is in mint condition to this day and I enjoy driving it immensely.
I'm curious what they will do with a broken passenger lumbar, driver side window seal and foggy headlamp , which was not foggy in the morning .
Old 08-25-15, 08:47 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for chiming in guys.

I believe I shouldn't hear no banging noises from a Ls460 in stop and go traffic. I flat out said that to the mechanic.
I would hate to sell the car for this reason. The car is in mint condition to this day and I enjoy driving it immensely.
I'm curious what they will do with a broken passenger lumbar, driver side window seal and foggy headlamp , which was not foggy in the morning .
Unless you are applying the brakes very quickly, the car should not be executing a "panic" stop.
Old 08-25-15, 08:55 AM
retlex
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW I had my brake actuator replaced on my 2011. The car braked fine until I was in stop and go traffic. After applying the brake on and off several times the brakes were very sensitive and it felt like I was using excessive pedal application-when in reality I was not. This was coupled with a mild barking noise-which I made my primary complaint to Lexus. The tech said that this was Lexus 6 attempt to fix the actuator noise. The part number they installed is 44050-50170. The noise is gone and the application is smooth, quiet and predictable. Good luck
Old 08-25-15, 12:15 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Default Update

Well they got back to me.

Brake actuator needs to be changed, they are waiting for warranty rep to come in and approve it $2200.

Lumbar gear broken $569. Waiting for warranty rep.

Window seal is $435 and they want me to pay for it, $200 part .
Headlight, $1100. They want me to pay for it .

I called Lexus corporate and opened a claim regarding those last two issues. They will get back to me about that in a day or two and let me know what they can do for me.

That's about it.
Old 08-25-15, 01:42 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Well they got back to me.

Brake actuator needs to be changed, they are waiting for warranty rep to come in and approve it $2200.

Lumbar gear broken $569. Waiting for warranty rep.

Window seal is $435 and they want me to pay for it, $200 part .
Headlight, $1100. They want me to pay for it .

I called Lexus corporate and opened a claim regarding those last two issues. They will get back to me about that in a day or two and let me know what they can do for me.

That's about it.
That sucks. This is why I don't waste one single second considering extended or third party warranties.

I just find that warranty companies will do any and everything not to cover costs, it's a business and they're very good at it. Sure I hear about so and so saving all this money because of his warranty, but for every so and so...there's a million who lose. And of this is he factory warranty you are talking about? Same thing. I know people that buy certain brands of cars because of the factory warranty - got a friend who will only buy Hyundai's because of the warranty - every time I talk to him he is selling his car because something wasn't covered under that factory warranty, yet he goes out and buys another one.

Best bet is to find a good private mechanic that is honest and knows what he is doing. They are out there and they are worth their weight in gold.

Quick Reply: Dealer tomorrow.