LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Dealer tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-15, 01:49 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Angry

$4300 worth of repairs! Your warranty will cover most of the repairs and maybe Lexus will negotiate with you on the headlight. I've got about 4 months left on my warranty and I hope I don't have the same problems after it expires.
Old 08-25-15, 02:10 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I paid 3000 for 3 year Lexus warranty .
They fixed control arms worth 5000 already .
They will change actuator and lumbar as well .
I'm am happy so far .

Headlight I can fix myself by re sealing it if warranty doesn't change it.
And the window gasket I can try the silicone trick.
That's if corporate doesn't do well by me.

I think any expensive car needs an extended warranty. These days every repair and component is complex and expensive . I rather have peace of mind that I don't have to spend money on the car after I buy it.
So I cannt complain about the Lexus extended warranty .
Will buy it with my next Ls460 for sure.
Old 08-25-15, 02:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,544 Likes on 1,836 Posts
Default Dealer tomorrow.

I experience a similar feeling in my LS460 when braking sometimes. In fact just now, I'll have them check it at my 5k service, likely next week.
Old 08-26-15, 10:42 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
That sucks. This is why I don't waste one single second considering extended or third party warranties.

I just find that warranty companies will do any and everything not to cover costs, it's a business and they're very good at it. Sure I hear about so and so saving all this money because of his warranty, but for every so and so...there's a million who lose. And of this is he factory warranty you are talking about? Same thing. I know people that buy certain brands of cars because of the factory warranty - got a friend who will only buy Hyundai's because of the warranty - every time I talk to him he is selling his car because something wasn't covered under that factory warranty, yet he goes out and buys another one.

Best bet is to find a good private mechanic that is honest and knows what he is doing. They are out there and they are worth their weight in gold.
Well if the warranty clearly states that they won't cover headlights/door seals (which is very common) then they are not trying to get out of covering something. Furthermore, they are waiting on getting ~$2800 worth warranty work approved. Couple that with OP's previous repairs totaling ~$5000, then the warranty has more than paid for itself.
Old 08-26-15, 12:35 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
Well if the warranty clearly states that they won't cover headlights/door seals (which is very common) then they are not trying to get out of covering something. Furthermore, they are waiting on getting ~$2800 worth warranty work approved. Couple that with OP's previous repairs totaling ~$5000, then the warranty has more than paid for itself.
I paid $1600 for my extended warranty (third party) nearly three years ago and repairs costing over $6000. A good $1600 investment plus I have a few months left.
Old 08-26-15, 01:06 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Dealer called .
Warranty will take care of the brake actuator and passenger side lumbar.
Should be done in a few days .
Still waiting to hear from corporate about window seal and headlight .
Old 08-26-15, 04:29 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
I think if you're willing to get your control arms replaced for $5000 - when most independent shops can do it for under $1000 - then you absolutely should have a $3000 dollar warranty.

I imagine a $3000 warranty won't have any problem paying for itself at those prices. Tell you what, pay me $3000 and I'll be you're warranty company. I'll tell you it costs $10,000 dollars to replace your horn, if it makes you feel better.
Old 08-26-15, 05:51 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I think if you're willing to get your control arms replaced for $5000 - when most independent shops can do it for under $1000 - then you absolutely should have a $3000 dollar warranty.
I very much doubt any independent shop can do that job for under $1000 including parts. Parts alone are $800 from the cheapest eBay vendor, and at least ~$2800 at discount prices for Lexus parts. Labor is going to be over $500 (probably more at a quality shop), and then there's tax.

If the warranty company were paying, you can be damn sure I'd insist on OEM parts. (I actually did so even though I paid for the service out of pocket.)
Old 08-26-15, 06:00 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

A database of control arms replacements with elements such as service date, cost, number of control arms replaced or number of control arms whose bushings only were replaced, Lexus parts or other parts, parts cost, labor cost, where performed (DIY, Independent, or Lexus) would be useful.
Old 08-26-15, 07:10 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dal20402
I very much doubt any independent shop can do that job for under $1000 including parts. Parts alone are $800 from the cheapest eBay vendor, and at least ~$2800 at discount prices for Lexus parts. Labor is going to be over $500 (probably more at a quality shop), and then there's tax.

If the warranty company were paying, you can be damn sure I'd insist on OEM parts. (I actually did so even though I paid for the service out of pocket.)
Ok, so let's say we replace all 8 control arms (because every single one of them is bad), for $800, plus $500 labor. That's $1,200. Of course I guess it's possible - ever so slightly - that not all of them (heaven forbid) need to be replaced. I mean it's not exactly mentally insane to just replace the part that's broken...happens all the time on suspension components on other cars...a control arm is worn...we replace that control arm...not every facet of the front end. But for argument sake, let's say we do anyway.

And you absolutely would demand OEM control arms? You mean the ones that have historically proven they aren't any good? You absolutely have to have them? What if I just tell you we are putting them in? But don't, and then they fail 70k miles later like the OEM ones, would that make you feel ok? I could probably find a Lexus sticker or something to put on them...perhaps a bar code? People love bar codes, I'm asking Santa to bring me bar codes for Christmas

Hey, like the guy said, it gives him piece of mind (and I'm cool with that), it's just that there is other ways to do things. And sometimes they work just as well, if not better depending on the situation.
Old 08-26-15, 07:23 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I think it's most hilarious when we can call a warranty an investment. I wish I could get in on that piece of the action. It kind of reminds me of the economists that say our biggest problem is not having enough debt.
Old 08-26-15, 07:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,544 Likes on 1,836 Posts
Default Dealer tomorrow.

I always say about warranties. If they didn't make money selling warranties...they wouldn't sell warranties lol
Old 08-26-15, 08:37 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Devh
I think it's most hilarious when we can call a warranty an investment. I wish I could get in on that piece of the action. It kind of reminds me of the economists that say our biggest problem is not having enough debt.
I like it when Verizon tries to sell me "protection" for my phone, it's an extra $12 a month. Over the course of two years it would add up to $288 bucks, and that will only cover ONE screen replacement...and there are deductibles to any other repairs. I can get a screen repaired for $100 dollars where I live and that's IF I break it. And if I totally destroy my phone I can buy one on eBay for pennies on the dollar. And these people try to sell me this "protection plan" to all the phones in my family...that's four phones...$48 a month...that's $1152 over a two plan. We have broken two screens in my family, it cost me $200 bucks to replace them. I'm not a mathematician, but I think I can figure out who's getting the most of that deal there.
Old 08-26-15, 08:42 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I always say about warranties. If they didn't make money selling warranties...they wouldn't sell warranties lol
They certainly know what they're doing.
Old 08-26-15, 10:05 PM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Extended warranties are attractive to those who just want to drop the car off and say "fix it". As mentioned, they are rarely a smart financial decision. Consumer Reports also does not recommend them in general. Obviously, it is the dealer who makes money on extended warranties not the consumer but if it gives you piece of mind then by all means get one.

Quick Reply: Dealer tomorrow.