LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Electronic keys problem

Old 08-17-15, 06:30 PM
Tonymlt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Electronic keys problem

2008 LS 460---- have two sets of keys. This is a first for us with this type of key.

How does LEXUS deal with the issue of BOTH KEYS being in the car....or one key being locked in the truck in wife's purse.....

or

HOW TO KEEP THE CAR running and locked while you leave----to leave the car/ air conditioner running while your dog is in the car and you can not leave him in the hot Florida weather.

Have done all of these things was never a problem with the old key system. Even Cadillacs could recognize DRIVER #1 and #2 drivers for their memory seats and steering wheel settings etc.

Seems Lexus knows about this and does not have a solution that I have heard of yet. The local dealer is no help.

Seems my 2000 Cadillac Deville had more bells n whistles than this 2008 LS 460...a little disappointed in this regard.

Anybody have any solutions?
Old 08-17-15, 07:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I'm not sure I understand your issue.

The car doesn't care how many keys are in the car. If your wife's key is in the trunk, it wouldn't start the car anyways, it has to be in the passenger compartment.

As for how do you walk away with the car running. You do just that, walk away and leave the car running. It will beep at you, but it won't shut off. As for locking it, it will not lock while it's running. I know old Cadillacs with normal keys will do that in fact when I was a kid and my Dad had his Cadillac STS I remember rescuing him at the golf course one to,e because he had locked himself out while it was running. This cannot be accomplished in a Lexus without installing a remote start.
Old 08-17-15, 11:28 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Wink

I think its a fail safe system for Lexus so you can't lock your doors and leave the car running unless the person inside use the lock button to lock the vehicle. I don't think Lexus is looking for a solution. My Honda is the same way.

All the bells and whistles (nothing to brag about) I had on a 2004 Deville I owned kept breaking and the Caddy was always in the shop compared to my trouble free LS. You may need to find an older vehicle to solve your solution.
Old 08-18-15, 04:08 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,205 Likes on 955 Posts

It's been discussed here before and solved. Quite simply wrap the one key in aluminum foil before placing in trunk/car. This WILL block the signal. You can also buy RFID wallets/pouches designed for chipped credit cards on Amazon for less than $10. I'll Agee with the others about not being able to lock a running car as well as other solutions offered. Lots of smart folks here.

Last edited by swfla; 08-18-15 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-18-15, 06:56 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonymlt
2008 LS 460---- have two sets of keys. This is a first for us with this type of key.

How does LEXUS deal with the issue of BOTH KEYS being in the car....or one key being locked in the truck in wife's purse.....

or

HOW TO KEEP THE CAR running and locked while you leave----to leave the car/ air conditioner running while your dog is in the car and you can not leave him in the hot Florida weather.

Have done all of these things was never a problem with the old key system. Even Cadillacs could recognize DRIVER #1 and #2 drivers for their memory seats and steering wheel settings etc.

Seems Lexus knows about this and does not have a solution that I have heard of yet. The local dealer is no help.

Seems my 2000 Cadillac Deville had more bells n whistles than this 2008 LS 460...a little disappointed in this regard.

No problem locking your wife's purse, with the "other" key in it, in the cabin or trunk. You can't do it with the buttons on the doors but you can do it by using the LOCK button on the wireless remote key. But, when you do this, the touch open feature on the doors and the trunk button are disabled, so when you want back in you have to use the UNLOCK button and TRUNK OPEN button on the wireless remote key.

It is not safe to lock and leave the car with the engine running.
Old 08-18-15, 02:18 PM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe try this...

to leave the car running with a/c on and dog inside....

close all doors, pop off the key hole cover, and manually lock the door using the actual key. snap cover back on and walk away.
to open, pop cover off and unlock using actual key.

maybe it'll work, maybe it wont... just a suggestion...

beware though... someone will walk by and see a living person or pet inside the vehicle, they might call for emergency help or they might just bust out your windows...
Old 08-18-15, 02:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by GR6RR
close all doors, pop off the key hole cover, and manually lock the door using the actual key. snap cover back on and walk away.
to open, pop cover off and unlock using actual key.

maybe it'll work, maybe it wont... just a suggestion....
Doesn't work, the car unlocks the door as soon as you turn the key back.
Old 08-18-15, 02:46 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

or

1. I'm not sure what you mean by how the car deals with both keys being in the car. I don't think it minds as long as a key is present to start the car. I've had both of my keys in the car (all of us have, at one point especially after purchasing the car) and nothing has been different.

2. As far as I'm aware the car won't lock itself while it's running. Many cars don't allow this. The only way I can think of that being possible is if you use remote start.

3. I would assume the LS is also able to keep individual settings for each key, I know my Audi did. I never use the feature though since I'm the only person that drives my car.
Old 08-18-15, 04:14 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If it detects both keys, it starts and runs fine, but it won't change memory settings if you have settings bound to one key.

The car won't allow this. You can leave the car running, and no one can drive it off because they can't shift out of park without the key, but it will be unlocked.

Even Cadillacs could recognize DRIVER #1 and #2 drivers for their memory seats and steering wheel settings etc.
The car can do this. Read the part of your owner's manual starting on page 70.