LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2008 ML radio upgrade

Old 08-13-15, 08:58 PM
pcls2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 ML radio upgrade

Hey all, first post here. Before you ask, yes I did search this specific question and couldn't find anything.

My dad just bought an 08 LS460 with 12k miles on it. There are no words to describe how beautiful and smooth the car is.

The stereo sounds great, no need for an upgrade on that, but the radio is confusing me.
It is capable of bluetooth, so why not HD radio? On his old car we could go through certain channels with multicast. For example 98.7 was taken over by mainstream and rap music, before that it was Jazz. The Jazz 98.7 was moved to multicast channel 2.
How can we get the radio to use multicast? If it is a stupid question then delete, I am new to forums in general but I know the basics of searching, and found nothing when I searched "2008 Lexus LS460 multicast"

My first thought was if there was a way to update the radio software through OB2 or USB, but I am not sure.

Any help or input is appreciated.

*Edit*: need to keep stock head unit, unless there are aftermarket ones that look just as nice and aren't flashy
Old 08-14-15, 08:03 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

The 2010 LS460's were the first models to offer bluetooth audio. If you would like to add features to an already fantastic sounding ML system: http://www.vaistech.com/site/home.php
Old 08-14-15, 03:29 PM
pcls2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by R Z
The 2010 LS460's were the first models to offer bluetooth audio. If you would like to add features to an already fantastic sounding ML system: http://www.vaistech.com/site/home.php
The ML system is flat out amazing. Never heard any vehicle audio setup as good as this. I just miss the HD radio and multicast. Whenever I start the car the display always says "Bluetooth connection failed" so I assume it had bluetooth. Just one more thing to add!

Thanks for the link man
Old 08-14-15, 03:39 PM
Nospinzone

Received 405 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by pcls2
Whenever I start the car the display always says "Bluetooth connection failed" so I assume it had bluetooth. Just one more thing to add!
I'm pretty sure that message is only referring to not being able to pair with a cell phone. My guess is it is still trying to connect to the previous owner's cell phone. Check the manual and you can go in and delete that cell phone. Then you won't get that message any more.

Please tell your Dad congrats and good luck with the new LS. And don't be a stranger here!
Old 08-14-15, 03:43 PM
pcls2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I'm pretty sure that message is only referring to not being able to pair with a cell phone. My guess is it is still trying to connect to the previous owner's cell phone. Check the manual and you can go in and delete that cell phone. Then you won't get that message any more.

Please tell your Dad congrats and good luck with the new LS. And don't be a stranger here!
Don't be a stranger?

The car is amazing in every way. It's faster than the Taurus SHO, and better in every way. That's all I can think of to say is that it is better in every way. I don't like American cars much other than to go in a straight line fast, but this thing does it wicked fast.

Rather than starting a new thread, anybody know how much sound deadener is in the car stock? All previous vehicles in our driveway would be taken apart and stacked full of dynamat (or other varient of CLV) and MLV to get the quiet.
This car is pretty silent factory, but if at all possible we'd like to get even more silence!

Fixing the triangle thing on the window seems easy, thanks to the awesome community, and getting comfort tires too.

Love the car, when I drive it feels like a lizard gliding on ice!
Old 08-14-15, 03:49 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

ML is about the best factory system there is and its awesome. HD radio is available on newer LS.
Old 08-14-15, 04:03 PM
Nospinzone

Originally Posted by pcls2
Don't be a stranger?

Love the car, when I drive it feels like a lizard gliding on ice!
Hey pcls, what I meant by the "stranger" comment was sometimes we have new people sign up to ask a question and then never hear from them again. That's OK, but I was just encouraging you and/or your Dad to be regular contributors.

As far as the "lizard gliding on ice", I've never heard the LS described that way, but I like it!
Old 08-14-15, 04:05 PM
pcls2
Driver School Candidate

Ah I see. Well the car is exceptionally smooth, so I figured i'd say that rather than just plain old smooth.

Any idea on the doors though?
Old 08-14-15, 04:50 PM
Nospinzone

I'm sorry, I read your posts again but I'm not sure what you are asking about the doors?
Old 08-14-15, 04:52 PM
pcls2
Driver School Candidate

If you or anybody has taken the door panels off. All my other vehicles have added CLV and MLV and they're as quiet as the Lexus, but you hear different noise. So I figured I'd add some to this car.

SO, the question is: how much sound deadener is on the car?

I do the trunk, floor, headliner, and doors.
Old 08-14-15, 06:46 PM
Nospinzone

Yikes, I'll defer to Ricknee on this one. He knows way more than me.
Old 08-14-15, 07:17 PM
pcls2
Driver School Candidate

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products

Was looking at investing a couple uno's on this.

We had some air plane sound absorbing material, stuff like CLV, MLV, and some 3M sheet that was almost an inch thick.

Also, is there a way to swap in a radio from a newer LS?
I could always stock the HDD full capacity, but I would really like to set the car up with multicast
Old 08-14-15, 07:51 PM
pcls2
Driver School Candidate

Alright sweet. Who is Don btw?

I was going to do the A pillars too. If I could see what it is like behind the panel then I'd have a better idea.

Thanks for all the input guys!
Old 08-14-15, 09:27 PM
pcls2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ricknee
Don is the person that runs the site you linked. He's been in the business a long time. He used to use the website to compare all the different sound deadening materials, hence the name of the website.

Doing the A-pillars isn't going to yield much benefit to begin with unless you're trying to find a way to fill any cavities with some sort of vibration absorbing material, since I can't see CLD tiles being particularly effective in that area. However, the presence of the a-pillar airbag makes it that much more difficult.
Right. I stumbled on that site a while back and haven't bought anything. Nice to know he has a good rep.

Again thanks for the input, depending on how much time I get I will either pop the doors off and cover every single inch with something or just deal with how quiet it already is
Old 08-15-15, 07:46 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Here was my solution to the whole streaming music thru bluetooth on my car. Its simple, cheap and quick to install. I placed the unit on the center console and leave the phone in the cup holder where it always is. Since the AUX and extra 12v outlet are in the center console, it was an easy install. Been using it for a month now and have no complaints.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SoundBot-SB360-Bluetooth-4-0-Car-Kit-Hands-Free-Wireless-Talk-Music-Streaming-/131527081113?hash=item1e9f9ffc99