LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

The 460 is a beast

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-15, 09:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

Can't the 460 owners have a happy thread about how much we enjoy our 460s without a 430 owner coming in and chiming in? I mean...really? If you want to extole the virtues of the 430 there's an entire forum for that.
Old 10-09-15, 09:25 PM
Superes350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Can't the 460 owners have a happy thread about how much we enjoy our 460s without a 430 owner coming in and chiming in? I mean...really? If you want to extole the virtues of the 430 there's an entire forum for that.
No. I believe there is a binding contract that must be signed when purchasing a LS430 which requires that they regularly justify their LS430 by making subtle attacks on LS460s and saying why their car is better.
Old 10-09-15, 09:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Superes350
No. I believe there is a binding contract that must be signed when purchasing a LS430 which requires that they regularly justify their LS430 by making subtle attacks on LS460s and saying why their car is better.
It certainly seems that way.
Old 10-09-15, 09:41 PM
Superes350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It certainly seems that way.
I believe part of the cause is the large drop in the value of the LS430 combined with a small case of jealousy. A LS430 can usually be had for $10,000-12,000 in good shape, while the cheaper 2007 LS460s are sitting around $20,000.
It's a shame, really.
Old 10-09-15, 10:22 PM
airchomper
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I really wanna offer up an apology on the behalf of LS430 owners.

It seems like the most obnoxious of us LS430 owners have the strongest opinions. If they weren't so sincere, it'd be satire.

I think you can spot a jealous LS430 owner these ways:
  • They talk about how much more supple the LS430 rides, but they have 19 inch rims
  • They talk about how much less expensive the LS430 is but they spend 16k on a 2006 LS430 and then put it on 4k of rims and tires
  • They instantly curse the UCA bushings as a disgrace to the LS line but don't talk about the near 100% failure rate on mark levinson amps
  • Say they don't need the extra power of the 4.6 liter engine, but ask about where to find cheap headers / superchargers for the 4.3

At the end of the day, everyone in an LS460 can afford to be in an LS430. The reverse is not true.

I bought my LS430 because it was the best value in its price point, it seriously cost less than Corollas with similar miles. And if the LS460 was available at that price, I'd be here more often.

Love the cars! Take good care of yours! And when the next gen LS comes out and these become cheaper, I might move on up.
Old 10-10-15, 12:59 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 186 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
Interesting to see this thread pop up again. Figured I might as well give an update since i've had the car roughly 5 months now, and put 6k mi on her. I still 100% stand with this thread's title: the 460 is a beast! I loved my 430, and continue the love for my current 460. The car drives like an absolute dream - all the good parts of the 430 but IMO made even better. It hasn't missed a beat, and that V8 in the 460 pulls quite impressively . I have nothing but good things to say about my 460.

As far as techs go, my dealer in Ann Arbor said the 430 was the best etc...until they saw me with my 460. Now they say the 460s are the best lol, they gotta play the game and make you feel good so you keep giving away your $$$ right?
There he is!

I'm also glad you are enjoying your 460--she's a beauty.

Speed for speed wise how do they compare? I've had experience with these cars, but never a few days (alone lol) with one. Do you prefer the 8 spd auto, and how is the torque comparison? In the 430s (which you know) you don't need to even exceed 2200 RPMish unless you're in a HELLUVA HURRY, even here in Los Angeles where it's 1000000% gridlock and cut-thrust urban traffic. I thought I saw someone say once on here that the 4.6 doesn't have quite as pull much down low, but, OTOH, 380HP is 380HP once the torque peak starts to fade. So I'm curious about that.

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
And on a side note: AJT - congrats on the move back to TN. I know when I went from Chicago back to MI cost of living dropped dramatically (but so did the excitement and food lol). It's a good feeling to avoid excessively heavy traffic and save money at the same time!

Sorry to veer OT mods:

Thanks, man. We knew it wouldn't be permanent from the get-go, but enough is enough. $25k a year gone (among double car insurance, $4 gas, etc), thrown away in rent for an average apartment just to "say you live somewhere cool." Time for a nice house and family close-by. No regrets, EVER, but it's time to go home. 50 years ago SoCal had to have been literal paradise. These days, it's so congested, expensive, full of hassles, blah blah blah, etc. that it's just not worth living here permanently unless you are just CRAZY wealthy, IMHO. Middle and upper-middle class are and have been being priced out, at least of Los Angeles County. NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE ELSE WHO LIVES HERE.

Last edited by AJT123; 10-10-15 at 01:33 AM.
Old 10-10-15, 01:05 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Lol, coming from the guy who's been called out and silenced more than once by the moderators in the 430 forums?
Old 10-10-15, 01:54 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=AJT123;9211271]Ludicrous. I'm not jealous, lol I could easily afford one. I just like having the benchmark generation of a certain model. The same reason I see so many mint W126s and R107s around here.....those were the best, just most bulletproof ones. I'm sure many of the owners could afford new S-Classes and SLs.

Objectively, the LS430 was tops in its class in its day. I can't think of any objective comparo where it didn't finish first or second, or any review that didn't absolutely gush over it. That's a huge reason I love my car so much. The best of it's time. W220s, 7 series, A8s, Jags, etc. had nothing on the 430 back in its day. And you see virtually none on the roads today. Out here I see so many first and second gen LSs it's crazy. Some look literally brand new, others are total beaters. Lots of 430s here too, but they kind of blend because they're really not THAT OLD yet.

With all due respect, the current 460 has never really had nearly the 430s acclaim from all the pros. That really can't be disputed. I still remember the 2007 Car and Driver comparo where the then-new 460 finished last and and Car and Driver were kinda scratching their heads bc they assumed it would win.....because....the 430 won the last one, first place..

Then a few years later, a gorgeous LS460L lost again (Car &Driver) to....wait for it.....a Hyundai Eqqus.
Old 10-10-15, 02:37 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Superes350
I think you nailed it. I just hope 460 owners don't repeat the same behavior when the new model comes out but I'm afraid those 430 guys graduating to the 460 because it's suddenly in their price range will continue the tradition.
Old 10-10-15, 04:13 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I like it; very pretty design, and....it's a Lexus LS....a great car. Like I said, I was not arguing nor even saying anything negative. But I would not trade my 430 for one, unless it were 2012 or newer, and even then I'd still have trouble parting with my '04....I love that car just that much. To me, the 430 is the W126 of S-Classes.

Not necessarily horrible, but certainly things unbecoming of the LS name (from people who work on these cars).

I'm glad you like your car!!!!!!! Yes, the 460s get stellar economy. I thought 28MPG hwy in mine was impressive.

Yeah, they are old. I purposefully bought the one without the nav, extra bells and whistes, etc., just to minimize the datedness, etc. The only thing I wish the car had, honestly, was a blind-spot monitor. That's it. Navs get obsolete and dated (lol) within years.. Smartphones in the holster are the way to go for Nav.

Glad you like your car! And, again, I wasn't coming here to argue, but to simply counter what SWLS15 said. Because, actually, lots of techs DO say the LS430 was the best Lexus ever made. But, of course, they're ALL good cars.
No I didn't get the sense you came in here to start trouble, I was just curious what you thought of the car.

I like the reliability of the LS430, like I said, it's just dated to me now. I never liked the way the front looked on those things, or the interior, but the rear end looked good to me. I'm not overly thrilled with the front of the LS460 either, but the rear and side views are amazing...one of the best I've ever seen (IMO).

The 460 does have control arm issues, and some have had brake actuator problems (although limited compared to the control arms). I know the 430 has its small share of issues, but parts are more reasonable.
Old 10-10-15, 04:40 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
I think you nailed it. I just hope 460 owners don't repeat the same behavior when the new model comes out but I'm afraid those 430 guys graduating to the 460 because it's suddenly in their price range will continue the tradition.
I can't even imagine people over here being like that towards a new model LS, but you're right, I've seen it from some over on the 430 side of the house.

My thing with cars is that I like reliability, that's kind of my car "thing". I work on cars, I'm an automotive instructor, so I appreciate reliability from vehicles...I enjoy cars that don't break. It's why I'm loving my 460 - and it's why I really appreciate the LS430 too. I'm a pretty big Honda fan as well (as you know). I find it to be a total bonus that the LS460 looks so nice, has a great interior and can go like hell when I mash my foot into the pedal. But my real passion is making it through my yearly 30k mile commute and saying...nothing broke. I do see control arms in my future, so I won't be able to say that next year, but I can live with the $300-600 I'll spend to replace them.

Last edited by Doublebase; 10-10-15 at 04:44 AM.
Old 10-10-15, 05:44 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm not going to get into the LS430 vs LS460 debate, except to suggest that this thread probably isn't the right place for it. I'd feel the same way if there was a thread in the LS430 forum titled "The LS430 is a beast", and someone who had never owned a LS430 compared their car to the LS430 in that thread.

IMO it's a different story if the person had actually owned both cars.
Old 10-10-15, 06:59 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I can't even imagine people over here being like that towards a new model LS, but you're right, I've seen it from some over on the 430 side of the house.

My thing with cars is that I like reliability, that's kind of my car "thing". I work on cars, I'm an automotive instructor, so I appreciate reliability from vehicles...I enjoy cars that don't break. It's why I'm loving my 460 - and it's why I really appreciate the LS430 too. I'm a pretty big Honda fan as well (as you know). I find it to be a total bonus that the LS460 looks so nice, has a great interior and can go like hell when I mash my foot into the pedal. But my real passion is making it through my yearly 30k mile commute and saying...nothing broke. I do see control arms in my future, so I won't be able to say that next year, but I can live with the $300-600 I'll spend to replace them.
On the 430 side it's pure trash talk and I have read it to the point of being an extreme over reaction spun from hearsay. To be very honest I find it hilarious and could care less if it wards off potential owners. I'm a happy owner that's problem free and I find it pretty amazing and embarrassing that despite all of the bad comments some 430 owners have graduated to the 460. I think the wallet dictates reality. Not ready to admit previous prejudice the theme has now changed to buying a newer version of the 460.

Last edited by Devh; 10-10-15 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-10-15, 07:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
Lol, coming from the guy who's been called out and silenced more than once by the moderators in the 430 forums?
When's the last time you saw me discuss the LS460 in the LS430 forum in a comparative way? I've posted several times in threads offering thoughts about both cars...since I've had both cars...in fact I've had a 400, a 430 and a 460, and you're right, people have reacted in such a way that despite my attempts to keep the conversation mature and non personal it goes to a bad place...so I've stopped. You should stop too.

All CL members deserve to have a place where they can discuss their favorite model or the model they own free from critical posts from people who don't own the car...the moderators are right about that. If you want to post a critical comparison of the LS460 and the LS430...post it in the Car Chat forum.
Old 10-10-15, 08:24 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Very interesting thread going on here. All I'll say about the 430 vs 460 issue is that the debate will go on for ever. There's never been a clear winner when one has their heart set on what they believe. I for one drove a 2006 430 and my current 2007 460 before purchasing in 2009 and made my own decision based on what I like. My car was purchased with 22k miles and currently has 104k. I drive easy most of the time but never have a problem with driving her hard when needed. Has 22s and will I put them on the road on 1000 mile trips with the family and a trunk full of luggage, car lowered and still have a comfortable ride. Car did have a warning light pop up shortly after the valve spring recall after a couple of weeks of ownership but was taken care of by the dealer. Besides brakes, fluid changes and a radiator change, the car has been superb. Actually went in last week to repair a flat and had the tech check my control arm bushings since I keep reading about them and he stated that they were in good order.
Just figured I'd give my 2 cents on this subject and whats going on with my 07.

Quick Reply: The 460 is a beast