LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Does the 2012 LS460 Sport Special Edition have rear LSD???

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-15, 07:02 PM
fooddude
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does the 2012 LS460 Sport Special Edition have rear LSD???

Does the MY2012 LS460 Sport Special Edition have a rear limited slip differential???

I’ve tried to google-research this info/answer; but, cannot find anything. I think mainly due to the fact that only 250 were made and also I think they were only produced for MY12 (I could be wrong though). So, there is not much info at all on the MY12 SE.

The only information I could find that was related to an LSD for a MY12, was for the Awd version, in that it has an LSD for the front-to-rear torque-converter. But, no mention of an LSD for the rear pumpkin and/or for the Rwd version.

I know the MY13+ F-Sport lists/states it has a rear torsen LSD. But, I’m wondering if my dad’s MY12 Sport-Edition has one too? (mainly wondering if it’s donuts, drift and track capable, hehe )

He recently purchased it about a week or so ago. It's pearl white, with only 15k miles. Looks cherry.

I really want to know if it has a torsen LSD in the rear pumpkin or not. I’m kinda expecting it should have an LSD, and I would be surprised if it didn’t have one. Since a MY12 Sport-Edition has/lists pretty much everything else a MY13+ F-Sport has - Brembos, forged 19s, sport swaybars, sport air suspension, paddle shifters, etc.
Old 07-20-15, 07:12 PM
fooddude
Rookie

I know I can probably check this answer by jacking up the rear, putting it in neutral, then spinning one of the tires by hand...but, it's a big hassle and I'm too lazy to do that (I only work on small cars and never my dad's), my dad will think I'm crazy, I still have to research proper jacking points, idk if I need to switch traction-control off, idk if I need to remove all the plastic underbody panelling off, and the rear-overhang and distance from pumpkin to rear of car is soo long that I'm unsure if my jack will even reach. Just a hassle all around and I'd rather just read the answer.

Last edited by fooddude; 07-20-15 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-20-15, 07:24 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

It doesn't work that way. A torsion or helical limited slip differential works like an open differential and then locks when applying power when one of the wheel slips. It is very hard to detect you have an LSD by jacking up the car and spinning the wheel. An LSD can also create disadvantages depending on the suspension set up and it can introduce more drivetrain loss slowing the cars straight-line speed.
In my opinion an LSD on a car like this will never be realized for the street except maybe better snow performance.
Old 07-20-15, 08:36 PM
fooddude
Rookie

Originally Posted by Devh
It is very hard to detect you have an LSD by jacking up the car and spinning the wheel.

..an LSD on a car like this will never be realized for the street except maybe better snow performance.
I swapped in a J30 torsen LSD into my S13 in the late 90s. It was very easy to detect - spin one wheel, and if the other spins the same direction, then there is an LSD. If not, it's open diff. Same goes for pretty much every other Rwd Japanese sports car I've worked on or read about. I've read the same for domestics.

"LSD in a car like this will never be realized" ...I think it's already been realized - MY13+ LS F-Sport Rwds have rear LSD listed.
Old 07-20-15, 10:21 PM
Devh
Racer

It's not a locked differential or one that is aggressive like what you find with clutch LSD. When you spin one rear wheel the other wheel will spin in the opposite direction like an open differential. The differential in these newer LSD will lock when enough torque goes through them. I have examined a few cars with the helical torsion LSD's and you cannot tell in all cases by spinning the wheels.
You don't understand why I used the word realized. I know very well that the 13+ has them but it has not much value on the street for this kind of car.

Last edited by Devh; 07-20-15 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-20-15, 10:52 PM
Devh
Racer

If you still don't believe me please click the link below.

http://websworld.org/marcel/ta23/diff.html
Old 07-21-15, 10:55 AM
fooddude
Rookie

Thanks for the link. Didn't know that. I guess the "spin the wheel" test only works for a few types of LSDs (it's worked on Viscous LSDs I've worked on in the past).

So, back to the Op question:

- Does the MY12 Sport Special Edition have an LSD?

...not looking for a debate on if it's needed for street use, or if there is proper suspension tuning to match the LSD, etc., etc. Because that debate is very subjective and can go on forever - depending on driving style and intended usage (comfort street cruising (95% of LS drivers out there and as it was intended to be), or canyon carving, or track days, or autocross, or immature hoonigan'ry and drifitng, etc, etc.). Yes, I know LSD will not be "realized" during normal street driving 90% of the time (unless stuck in the snow or mud).

I'm just looking for a simple Yes or No answer.

I'm simply wanting to know if the MY12 LS460 SE has an LSD, like that of a MY13+ LS F-Sport
Old 07-21-15, 10:57 AM
fooddude
Rookie

I know very well that the 13+ has them but it has not much value on the street for this kind of car.
This is a subjective answer' and does not answer the Op question. At least for the sake of technical data/information/knowledge on this particular model/trim.
Old 07-21-15, 11:47 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by fooddude
This is a subjective answer' and does not answer the Op question. At least for the sake of technical data/information/knowledge on this particular model/trim.
Are you describing yourself in the third person.

I looked into it by doing a simple google search because I was curious and it appears you don't have an LSD. Even if you did this type of LSD is not good for drifting.
Old 07-21-15, 01:45 PM
fooddude
Rookie

Are you describing yourself in the third person.

I looked into it by doing a simple google search because I was curious and it appears you don't have an LSD. Even if you did this type of LSD is not good for drifting.
Haha..why yes I am

Thanks for the answer. But, do you have a link to that info??? I'd love to see/read it. Like I said in my original post, I too did a "simple google search" but did not find any hard facts.

That is also super subjective. ANY type of LSD is better than NO LSD. There are many different levels of LSD (clutch, 1.5, 2 way, race or streetable, helical, viscous, etc., etc.), as well as many different levels of drifting (occasional, being a hoonigan ***** on the streets, weekend track/skidpad drift days, amateur, professional). Eg: Of course something like a factory Viscous LSD is not "super good for drifting;" but, it honestly still works and is still sufficient enough for the non-hardcore. And most importantly, it is better than No LSD at all.

Again, I don't feel like getting into a debate, or know-it-all ego-induced contest. You obviously sound like you just want to talk me down, prove me wrong and say what is and what isn't "correct. You want to stick everything "in a box." Stop being one of those typical car-forum d*ckheads.
Old 07-21-15, 02:00 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by fooddude
Haha..why yes I am

Thanks for the answer. But, do you have a link to that info??? I'd love to see/read it. Like I said in my original post, I too did a "simple google search" but did not find any hard facts.

That is also super subjective. ANY type of LSD is better than NO LSD. There are many different levels of LSD (clutch, 1.5, 2 way, race or streetable, helical, viscous, etc., etc.), as well as many different levels of drifting (occasional, being a hoonigan ***** on the streets, weekend track/skidpad drift days, amateur, professional). Eg: Of course something like a factory Viscous LSD is not "super good for drifting;" but, it honestly still works and is still sufficient enough for the non-hardcore. And most importantly, it is better than No LSD at all.

Again, I don't feel like getting into a debate, or know-it-all ego-induced contest. You obviously sound like you just want to talk me down, prove me wrong and say what is and what isn't "correct. You want to stick everything "in a box." Stop being one of those typical car-forum d*ckheads.

I was providing information and opinion which you needed because you did not know otherwise you would be spinning your wheels pun intended without a clue, your welcome . Also noticed that nobody else is on this thread since you posted but I volunteered and even searched to provide you information and this the thanks I receive. The reason why I posted commentary is in hopes that someone else would join in and continue the conversation about the LSD equipped vehicles for this car which is a benefit to everyone even if it's debated. If you don't want to debate that's fine don't add any commentary.

You don't own this thread or control it's commentary so stop being one of those people who feel like they are being talked down to to cover up your lack of knowledge about torsional LSDs.
Only you can come to terms of dealing with your own disappointment of being wrong and be benefited with knowing correct information that maybe a benefit to others.

Last edited by Devh; 07-21-15 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-21-15, 02:10 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Easiest way to tell is switch off the traction control and punch it. See if it leaves two skid marks lol.

Of course I don't know if the engine/transmission computer will give you max torque from a dead stop, a lot of newer cars have a feature called "torque management" to where the computer will retard timing, not open the throttle all the way, or find other ways to cut power so there isn't as big of a shock on the drivetrain, even with traction control off.
Old 07-21-15, 02:27 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Easiest way to tell is switch off the traction control and punch it. See if it leaves two skid marks lol.

Of course I don't know if the engine/transmission computer will give you max torque from a dead stop, a lot of newer cars have a feature called "torque management" to where the computer will retard timing, not open the throttle all the way, or find other ways to cut power so there isn't as big of a shock on the drivetrain, even with traction control off.
You can spin both wheels as I have done once or twice with the traction control off but it rarely ever sits stationary long enough for an LSD to to do it's thing unless perhaps you have a lot less grip in the tires like if it's raining.
Another way to tell is to have one wheel on the grass on the other on pavement and have someone observe the behavior.
The easiest way to find out is though the VIN number or original dealer window sticker as they will always list the LSD in the notes if it is equipped.

I don't know about any max torque restriction but I imagine that the fuel cut in neutral is set much lower then when the car is moving or in gear.
It would be very hard to get the LSD to work for you considering the transmission is a bit on the lazy side of shifting.
Old 07-21-15, 03:09 PM
fooddude
Rookie

I was providing information and opinion which you needed because you did not know
Besides that link you shared, everything else was pure subjective opinion and only your opinion.

Also noticed that nobody else is on this thread since you posted but I volunteered and even searched to provide you information and this the thanks I receive.
You want a pat on the back?

..your lack of knowledge about torsional LSDs..

Only you can come to terms of dealing with your own disappointment of being wrong and be benefited with knowing correct information that maybe a benefit to others
Yes, I am very disappointed in myself and I am always very wrong (what is this..a shtting contest? ..are you 16yo?) and lack any knowledge at all about LSDs or car-engineering/mechanics (I'm betting you think everyone in the world (or at least car forums) is wrong except yourself). Thank you for telling me I am disappointed in myself, always wrong and don't know anything. Anything else you would like to point fingers at?

Happy? You've proven my point about yourself.

^^

Last edited by fooddude; 07-21-15 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-21-15, 03:35 PM
fooddude
Rookie

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Yes, I was thinking about doing this as well, haha. Either that, or donuts.

If there's too much traction..maybe try it on a rainy/wet day.

Quick Reply: Does the 2012 LS460 Sport Special Edition have rear LSD???