LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

My 2007 LS460L got rear ended

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-15, 03:57 AM
Mrcoach
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My 2007 LS460L got rear ended

Thanks everyone for your support

Last edited by Mrcoach; 07-23-15 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Legal reasons I need to delete post thank you so much for this great forum
Old 07-19-15, 05:40 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Sorry to hear about it but glad that you are OK. I understand your frustration/pain. Hope they can fix it to your satisfaction.

However if you go through insurance (looks like that), it may get reported in car history. If you plan to sell the car in future, you might have to take a hit. If I were you, I would get 600h as there are many 07-08 models currently on the market.

On positive note, car did what it's designed to do - crumbling to absorb the energy to protect the cabin (passengers). Good luck with whatever decision you choose to go with......
Old 07-19-15, 06:49 AM
Mrcoach
Driver

Thanks so much for your nice words and your correct I had to go thru my insurance for now and they will subrogate to get the money back. In NJ my insurance handles the medical no matter who's at fault. I have to wait 4 days for a police report I don't even know who hit me and what insurance if any they had because I went to the ER.
I never thought of the carfax report will show accident now that really sucks. I have no choice at this point. Thanks again for your input.

Originally Posted by satiger
Sorry to hear about it but glad that you are OK. I understand your frustration/pain. Hope they can fix it to your satisfaction.

However if you go through insurance (looks like that), it may get reported in car history. If you plan to sell the car in future, you might have to take a hit. If I were you, I would get 600h as there are many 07-08 models currently on the market.

On positive note, car did what it's designed to do - crumbling to absorb the energy to protect the cabin (passengers). Good luck with whatever decision you choose to go with......
Old 07-19-15, 07:01 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I'm sorry to hear about your accident and I hope you are ok. It would make most LS 460 owners sick.
A beautiful LS and if it's total there are many others LS to choose from. Accidents happens and the 460 is a safe vehicle.
Old 07-19-15, 07:07 AM
IncgntoLex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From a prior auto body guy, they will most likely total that. I'm interested to hear what they do with it. As Satiger said, pick up a 600hl. You can also buy the vehicle back from the insurance company after they total it. Probably for about 2 grand. Then part it out so your baby can live on through other cars, and you could come out on top with plenty of cash for upgrades on the 600hl. I hope you have a good recovery and wish you the best.
Old 07-19-15, 07:12 AM
Mrcoach
Driver

I appreciate that thanks..
Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
I'm sorry to hear about your accident and I hope you are ok. It would make most LS 460 owners sick.
A beautiful LS and if it's total there are many others LS to choose from. Accidents happens and the 460 is a safe vehicle.
Old 07-19-15, 07:14 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Yikes! Glad you're relatively OK. I would suspect that your LS won't be written off, but you never know.

You're LS is the same color as mine. I've owned many vehicles in my time and this is the first black one for me. What I've noticed is that my car seems to be invisible to other drivers. I've lost count on how many times I've almost been hit by other cars. Black is hard to see or notice apparently. I've almost been side-swiped, backed into in parking lots, rear-ended and T-boned. This has never happened to me in other cars.

Good luck and keep us posted on developments.
Old 07-19-15, 07:20 AM
Mrcoach
Driver

Thanks so much for the input hearing your a former body guy I value your opinion but now I'm really worried. I have a emotional attachment to this car I hope and pray your wrong. I'm confused did you say after its totaled God forbid I should buy the car then how do I part it out.
I'm not a mechanic and live in a condo? Tell me more just in case. They would cut me a check if it was totaled then buy it back how about if I decide to fix it is that a option? Sorry for all the questions never had this happen before. Thanks for your input
Originally Posted by IncgntoLex
From a prior auto body guy, they will most likely total that. I'm interested to hear what they do with it. As Satiger said, pick up a 600hl. You can also buy the vehicle back from the insurance company after they total it. Probably for about 2 grand. Then part it out so your baby can live on through other cars, and you could come out on top with plenty of cash for upgrades on the 600hl. I hope you have a good recovery and wish you the best.
Old 07-19-15, 07:26 AM
Mrcoach
Driver

Thanks for the nice words and yes you have to have eyes in the back of your head. I had just got my 60k service the car was clean in and out. Maybe I should get a red car lol I'm just glad I wasn't on my Hog I wouldn't be here. I'm so disgusted right now I don't even feel like driving. I will keep everyone posted after they break the car down next week.

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Yikes! Glad you're relatively OK. I would suspect that your LS won't be written off, but you never know.

You're LS is the same color as mine. I've owned many vehicles in my time and this is the first black one for me. What I've noticed is that my car seems to be invisible to other drivers. I've lost count on how many times I've almost been hit by other cars. Black is hard to see or notice apparently. I've almost been side-swiped, backed into in parking lots, rear-ended and T-boned. This has never happened to me in other cars.

Good luck and keep us posted on developments.
Old 07-19-15, 07:29 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrcoach
Thanks so much for the input hearing your a former body guy I value your opinion but now I'm really worried. I have a emotional attachment to this car I hope and pray your wrong. I'm confused did you say after its totaled God forbid I should buy the car then how do I part it out.
I'm not a mechanic and live in a condo? Tell me more just in case. They would cut me a check if it was totaled then buy it back how about if I decide to fix it is that a option? Sorry for all the questions never had this happen before. Thanks for your input
If you live in a condo your best bet is to let salvage take it and be done with it. I have parted out two cars and it isn't worth it unless you have a garage in a lot of time because it's not free work.
If they do total your car which I think they will you will get fair market value which means enough money for a replacement of similar options which can work out in your favor.
If you were hurt in the accident I would give serious consideration to consult with an accident lawyer.
Old 07-19-15, 08:28 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IncgntoLex
By $2,000 you mean $6-7,000.
Old 07-19-15, 09:02 AM
RayLS
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry to hear about your accident. I'm glad that you are okay.
Hope it's not totaled. If there is a frame damage most likely totaled.
IIRC if the repair cost is 75-80% of the current market value the insurance will deem it totaled.
My son's IS did not have frame damage but the estimated repair cost was over $13.5 K so the insurance "totaled" it.
Attached Thumbnails My 2007 LS460L got rear ended-is250-1.jpg   My 2007 LS460L got rear ended-is250-2.jpg   My 2007 LS460L got rear ended-is250-3.jpg  
Old 07-19-15, 09:07 AM
IncgntoLex
Rookie

Originally Posted by NickTee
By $2,000 you mean $6-7,000.
Good catch, I don't know what the current value would be, 2k is hopeful of a good scenario. It's usually around 25-35% of the cars current value. So 6-7k is more accurate. It's been a decade since I worked auto body.

As DevH said, if you're in a condo just salvage it, it's a lot of work to part out a car.
Old 07-19-15, 12:50 PM
Ditoe
Driver School Candidate

Glad you are able to walk away from it. That looks like a good amount of damage. I would start looking into a replacement unless you can get the insurance to fix the whole thing.
Old 07-19-15, 02:43 PM
Mrcoach
Driver

Thanks for the reply I hope your son is ok.. I don't think there is frame damage but who knows.
I wonder if they do declare it total can I get a second expert opinion I don't trust the insurance company.

Originally Posted by RayLS
Sorry to hear about your accident. I'm glad that you are okay.
Hope it's not totaled. If there is a frame damage most likely totaled.
IIRC if the repair cost is 75-80% of the current market value the insurance will deem it totaled.
My son's IS did not have frame damage but the estimated repair cost was over $13.5 K so the insurance "totaled" it.

Quick Reply: My 2007 LS460L got rear ended