LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

My 2007 LS460L got rear ended

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-15, 07:00 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrcoach
I can't believe all the great comments and love the forum members are giving me. I'm very interested in this diminished value if they fix it. Please explain? Do I need a lawyer for that or ask the insurance company? Thanks so much
As Nospinzone mentioned, it's basically the difference between the value or an "untouched" car versus one that's been in an accident. Of course, diminished value has a direct correlation with the overall value of the car (i.e., a $150k Ferrari that's been in an accident will take a larger hit at re-sale than a $35k Lexus). However, I would not overlook this issue for a couple of reasons.

First, you will have to resell this car at some point in time. When that time comes, more likely than not the potential purchaser will see the car's history and will either want a discount from what the car's value would have been had it not been in an accident or will simply walk away (put yourself in a buyer's shoes). In either case you will have to sell for less than market value and for that reason you would ideal be compensated for that loss.

Second is that diminished value is determined at the present rate. Meaning that if today you car's value would have been $35k but is now $30k, you should get compensated for $5k. However, you may or may not sell this car today, and if you decide to sell in 4 years when the car's FMV is down to $25k, the accident might impact your price such that you might have to discount it only $2500. So in essence, the diminished value can help with selling the car in the future.

As for how to go about the whole process, I would suggest you search google for something like "car diminished value." You will probably find quite a bit of helpful into that will get things moving for you.

Good luck and stay safe.
Old 07-21-15, 07:22 AM
Mrcoach
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks so much I'm so impressed with the knowledge of the CL forum members I guess that's why we own a Lexus lol I'm waiting for the phone call from the body shop I hope I hear from them today. Thanks so much for the information I really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
As Nospinzone mentioned, it's basically the difference between the value or an "untouched" car versus one that's been in an accident. Of course, diminished value has a direct correlation with the overall value of the car (i.e., a $150k Ferrari that's been in an accident will take a larger hit at re-sale than a $35k Lexus). However, I would not overlook this issue for a couple of reasons.

First, you will have to resell this car at some point in time. When that time comes, more likely than not the potential purchaser will see the car's history and will either want a discount from what the car's value would have been had it not been in an accident or will simply walk away (put yourself in a buyer's shoes). In either case you will have to sell for less than market value and for that reason you would ideal be compensated for that loss.

Second is that diminished value is determined at the present rate. Meaning that if today you car's value would have been $35k but is now $30k, you should get compensated for $5k. However, you may or may not sell this car today, and if you decide to sell in 4 years when the car's FMV is down to $25k, the accident might impact your price such that you might have to discount it only $2500. So in essence, the diminished value can help with selling the car in the future.

As for how to go about the whole process, I would suggest you search google for something like "car diminished value." You will probably find quite a bit of helpful into that will get things moving for you.

Good luck and stay safe.
Old 07-22-15, 09:24 PM
RayLS
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm glad it's not totaled and you can keep your car.
Just couldn't believe damage was only $11K.
Seems like your car's damage was more than my son's IS.
Old 07-23-15, 04:35 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

Mrcoach, in case you're not aware, the finish level of the paint on the LS is levels above most other cars. This post isn't about being overly fussy, just be sure that the smoothness and clarity matches the rest of the car when they're done. That's part of what you paid for when purchasing the car. Good luck
Old 07-23-15, 09:12 AM
Mrcoach
Driver

Ray I was shocked myself this is a 5 star auto body and I expected around 20k and most people thought it was totaled. It's nothing short of a miracle.

Originally Posted by RayLS
I'm glad it's not totaled and you can keep your car.
Just couldn't believe damage was only $11K.
Seems like your car's damage was more than my son's IS.
Old 07-23-15, 09:16 AM
Mrcoach
Driver

Swfla I absolutely agree and I did mention it I was told all the big parts like hood and fenders were oem and as far as paint goes he offers a lifetime warranty on his work and the paint will look better than new.
We shall see about that..
Originally Posted by swfla
Mrcoach, in case you're not aware, the finish level of the paint on the LS is levels above most other cars. This post isn't about being overly fussy, just be sure that the smoothness and clarity matches the rest of the car when they're done. That's part of what you paid for when purchasing the car. Good luck
Old 07-23-15, 09:21 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I'm not surprised that they didn't write the car off. I felt that because the damage was to the rear, that damage was mostly cosmetic. If the collision had happened to the front, then potential for more costly damage would result (suspension, cooling, steering etc).

Glad it all worked out for you.
Old 07-23-15, 09:28 AM
Mrcoach
Driver

Thanks Chris
I like the wheels on your car what are they?

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I'm not surprised that they didn't write the car off. I felt that because the damage was to the rear, that damage was mostly cosmetic. If the collision had happened to the front, then potential for more costly damage would result (suspension, cooling, steering etc).

Glad it all worked out for you.
Old 07-23-15, 11:11 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Thanks Chris
I like the wheels on your car what are they?
Thanks. TSW Strip (20")
http://www.1010tires.com/images/whee...M_lg_super.jpg
Old 07-23-15, 09:03 PM
Mrcoach
Driver

Sweet! I probably need tires in about 5k miles maybe I will treat my baby to a new pair of shoes.
If you don't mind me asking what the price point was for 4 and who carries them?

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Old 07-23-15, 10:51 PM
IncgntoLex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so happy this worked out. Let us know when it's all fixed up.
Old 07-24-15, 07:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Ray I was shocked myself this is a 5 star auto body and I expected around 20k and most people thought it was totaled. It's nothing short of a miracle.
Not to burst your bubble, but many times the estimate for bodywork goes up once they start tearing the car down. It could easily wind up being $20k, and theres a chance at some point after being hit with a supplement from the body shop the insurance company would total it.
Old 07-24-15, 07:58 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Not to burst your bubble, but many times the estimate for bodywork goes up once they start tearing the car down. It could easily wind up being $20k, and theres a chance at some point after being hit with a supplement from the body shop the insurance company would total it.
Agreed, this happen to me twice, once the shop gets into the unseen damage the cost goes up and the insurance company changes their outlook.
Old 07-24-15, 11:16 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I have seen this happen more often then not for this kind of damage. The body shop calls the insurance company once they dig in and then the car gets totaled.
Old 07-24-15, 05:47 PM
Mrcoach
Driver

I appreciate your input but I doubt it would go up that much because it took him 2 days to tear the car down and make the very detailed estimate.

Quick Reply: My 2007 LS460L got rear ended