LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

My 2007 LS460L got rear ended

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-15, 02:46 PM
Mrcoach
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to fight to get my car fixed unless there's frame damage. Thanks for the input
Originally Posted by Ditoe
Glad you are able to walk away from it. That looks like a good amount of damage. I would start looking into a replacement unless you can get the insurance to fix the whole thing.
Old 07-19-15, 02:53 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrcoach
I really appreciate the advice thanks. As far as hiring any attorney in NJ unless you lose a limb or die most people have the limited right to sue option on there policy unless you want the option to sue your already high insurance rates in the U.S. to go up 100% you really can't sue the at fault party for medical unless it's a permanent injury. This is the worst state to live in for auto injury. Best regards

I would hire these guys lol
I made the mistake of assuming when I was in a bad car accident as a passenger. I don't like ambulance chasers but I learned a very valuable lesson on how bad it can be without representation and the after effects of on your body from a car accident. If the insurance company knows you don't have representation they will take advantage in very despicable ways.
It doesn't hurt to consult and see what your options are. What you may have heard from hearsay might be entirely different from how it really is.
My Lawyer saved us from the both the insurance company as well as the discredited statements the person who hit us. Because of my experience I will not hesitate to use a good lawyer and it doesn't cost you a thing.
Old 07-19-15, 03:17 PM
bsimonds
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar thing happen to my 2007 and was surprised that the insurance co. called it total. Lexus parts are very expensive making repair very expensive and making salvage value higher than you would expect. Both of these facts push the insurance co toward totaling a car you would never expect to be a total.
Old 07-19-15, 04:08 PM
RayLS
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

OP, my son is okay. Thanks.
Just like you he'd rather keep the car but AAA said the car was too expensive to repair.
+ 1 with bsimonds - Lexus parts are very expensive.
I'm sure you could get a second opinion but it's still up to the insurance to decide whether it's cost effective to repair vs issue a totaled title. Keep in mind that having a record of accident/repair will affect the future resale value of your car.
Old 07-19-15, 04:19 PM
Mrcoach
Driver

Very valid point thanks for the input..
Originally Posted by Devh
I made the mistake of assuming when I was in a bad car accident as a passenger. I don't like ambulance chasers but I learned a very valuable lesson on how bad it can be without representation and the after effects of on your body from a car accident. If the insurance company knows you don't have representation they will take advantage in very despicable ways.
It doesn't hurt to consult and see what your options are. What you may have heard from hearsay might be entirely different from how it really is.
My Lawyer saved us from the both the insurance company as well as the discredited statements the person who hit us. Because of my experience I will not hesitate to use a good lawyer and it doesn't cost you a thing.
Old 07-19-15, 04:21 PM
Mrcoach
Driver

Wow after all this feedback I'm really starting to worry they might total the car. Thanks for your feedback.

Originally Posted by bsimonds
I had a similar thing happen to my 2007 and was surprised that the insurance co. called it total. Lexus parts are very expensive making repair very expensive and making salvage value higher than you would expect. Both of these facts push the insurance co toward totaling a car you would never expect to be a total.
Old 07-20-15, 06:50 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Really sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope it all works out. If you plan on keeping the car and it doesn't get totaled, make sure to seek compensation for diminished value!

But, if they do total it remember it's just a car and it's not the end of the world. I bet there is a 600 out there with all the same options...and more
Old 07-20-15, 08:18 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Very sorry to read this. First and foremost, hope you are ok. Cars can be replaced, people can't. I hope it's not found out that the driver was texting, but it sure sounds like it. I have a close friend who is now permanently wheelchair bound because she was hit from behind by a texting driver. Unfortunately for her, the driver was going over 40 when he plowed into her and she was in the passenger seat.

Good luck to you!
Old 07-20-15, 09:14 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Wow after all this feedback I'm really starting to worry they might total the car. Thanks for your feedback.
Totaling the car may not be the worst thing for you if you really want it repaired want to keep it. If they total the car, ask them what they want for it. If it is cheap enough, you can buy it back and have it fixed yourself. It will have a salvage title and of course resale value will plummet, but if you keep it long enough it won't matter.

Keep us informed.
Old 07-20-15, 10:49 AM
cruzinZ
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to see the car in that condition. I know you have an emotional attachment..... but sometimes it's better to part ways. Even if it's fixed up correctly there is no telling if it will ever drive the same again. Sometimes hidden damages will be overlooked and can be difficult to diagnose. I'm sure you will be able to find a replacement.

What I'm more concerned about is your physical health. Hope you are able to bounce back from the injuries. More often than not if you are still suffering from medical related complications from this accident the other party's insurance will consider the case closed shortly after they wright a check for the damaged vehicle. I personally can't stand ambulance chasers. At the same time I wouldn't want to be paying out of pocket for medical expenses in the future because of what somebody else's careless caused me.
Old 07-20-15, 01:31 PM
Mrcoach
Driver

I can't believe all the great comments and love the forum members are giving me. I'm very interested in this diminished value if they fix it. Please explain? Do I need a lawyer for that or ask the insurance company? Thanks so much

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
Really sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope it all works out. If you plan on keeping the car and it doesn't get totaled, make sure to seek compensation for diminished value!

But, if they do total it remember it's just a car and it's not the end of the world. I bet there is a 600 out there with all the same options...and more

Last edited by Mrcoach; 07-20-15 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 07-20-15, 01:37 PM
Mrcoach
Driver

Thanks so much.. I did find out she got a ticket and she was going very fast I'm sure I must of looked like a crash car dummy lol

Originally Posted by R Z
Very sorry to read this. First and foremost, hope you are ok. Cars can be replaced, people can't. I hope it's not found out that the driver was texting, but it sure sounds like it. I have a close friend who is now permanently wheelchair bound because she was hit from behind by a texting driver. Unfortunately for her, the driver was going over 40 when he plowed into her and she was in the passenger seat.

Good luck to you!
Old 07-20-15, 02:51 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I feel your pain after having two LS's totaled from other drivers fault, the whole process is a pain but glad you walked away and was not worse. From my experience your insurance company might end up saying its a total loss due to how costly it to repair the LS, the parts add up quick! I wish you well on an outcome you will be pleased with.
Old 07-20-15, 05:46 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I can't believe all the great comments and love the forum members are giving me. I'm very interested in this diminished value if they fix it. Please explain? Do I need a lawyer for that or ask the insurance company? Thanks so much
The "diminished value" is the difference between what your car would be worth before the accident versus what it will be worth after the accident and after all the damage is repaired. So for example say your car had a fair market value of $25,000 before the accident. Now after the accident it is all repaired and is in identical condition before the accident, but the accident is now on the Car Fax report. Now the fair market value may only be $23,000 (I'm only making up numbers just for sake of illustration).

So your "diminished value" is $2000. I'm not an expert on this, and certainly laws vary by state, but it is questionable whether you can claim diminished value, and even if you can, based on the age of your car it is not likely to be significant. If you have a friend who is a lawyer, ask him/her. Otherwise just ask your insurance agent. This issue comes up on a Ferrari forum where they are talking about cars worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. In some cases they get diminished value and in others they don't. I know in either case it takes some documentation to prove the loss of value,

And as far as the "love the forum members" are giving you, well, we are just that kind of community.
Old 07-20-15, 07:20 PM
Mrcoach
Driver

I can't thank you enough for the information it's something I never heard of. I will look into it further if necessary. Again many thanks

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
The "diminished value" is the difference between what your car would be worth before the accident versus what it will be worth after the accident and after all the damage is repaired. So for example say your car had a fair market value of $25,000 before the accident. Now after the accident it is all repaired and is in identical condition before the accident, but the accident is now on the Car Fax report. Now the fair market value may only be $23,000 (I'm only making up numbers just for sake of illustration).

So your "diminished value" is $2000. I'm not an expert on this, and certainly laws vary by state, but it is questionable whether you can claim diminished value, and even if you can, based on the age of your car it is not likely to be significant. If you have a friend who is a lawyer, ask him/her. Otherwise just ask your insurance agent. This issue comes up on a Ferrari forum where they are talking about cars worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. In some cases they get diminished value and in others they don't. I know in either case it takes some documentation to prove the loss of value,

And as far as the "love the forum members" are giving you, well, we are just that kind of community.

Quick Reply: My 2007 LS460L got rear ended