LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2010 LS 460 Transmission Drain and Fill

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-15, 10:07 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jud149
As mentioned, and according to Lexus mtce records, the 30k mile service was performed, even though the car had just 24k on it. Work performed included:

"30000 MILE SERVICE NON WARRANTY 30000 MILE SERVICE FOR PREOWNED, REPLACE BRAKE FLUID, REPLACE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION OIL,REPLACE DIFFENTAIL OIL, REPLACE ENGINE AIR FILTER,CHANGE ENGINE COOLANT,REPLACE COOLANT,INSPECT FUEL LINES & CONNECTIONS, FUEL TANK VAPOR SYSTEM HOSES,FUEL TANK BAND, - PERFORMED 30K SERVICE"

and

"OTHER INSPECTION MULTI - POINT INSPECTION, VEH/ PREP GUIDE - ALL BODY OPENINGS, ALL ACC. , LIGHTS, GAUGES AUDIO,LOF,ALL FLUIDS FILL TO SPECS,BATTERY,ALL WIRES,BELTS, HOSES,TIRES & WHEELS. BRAKES .PLUS ALL CHASIS COMPONENTS, EXHAUST SYSTEM,ROAD TEST TO INSURE THE ENGINE, TRANS - MULTIPOINT INSPECTION,AIR FILTER,A/C FILTER,WIPER INSERTS BALANCED WHEELS,PROGRAMMED 1 KEY"

Anyway, we're getting a little off subject of the initial post.
Sorry I missed your initial post where you mentioned they did the entire 30k mile service.
Old 07-22-15, 10:23 AM
jud149
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
Sorry I missed your initial post where you mentioned they did the entire 30k mile service.
That's okay. Maybe I missed something that should have been done. That's why I listed all that crap. Thanks, Devh!
Old 07-22-15, 02:19 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by jud149
Whether they actually did the fluid changes or not, I don't know. If I were to bet though, I'd bet they did. I've bought a lot of cars from dealers over the last 55 years or so and this dealer, JM Lexus in Margate, Fl, is without a doubt the best I ever dealt with by far. There is no BS and they try very hard to make you happy. Generally, they give you more than you'd expect. They advertise themselves as the world's highest-volume Lexus dealership since 1992 and it's easy to see why. I dealt with 4 other Lexus dealers in the area and got the normal dealer BS one would expect before buying my '11 LS460 CPO from JM. The prep/condition of the CPO's these other dealers offered didn't come close to that of the one from JM.

PS I have no affiliation with JM Lexus
Excellent, you're way ahead of the curve, in terms of maintenance now. All you'll have to worry about are oil changes and tires. That's a great feeling when you're buying a car.

When I bought mine I knew it needed the transmission service (at least in my opinion), rear tires, coolant change (again in my opinion), brake fluid flush - but honestly I really don't mind doing stuff when I first buy a car - I have to think it's because I'm excited about a "new" car. But that wears off pretty quickly, luckily these cars are reliable.
Old 07-23-15, 03:06 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

I've been trying to attach my Blackstone actual report. Can't figure how to convert a .tiff from my scanner to something that the forum software will accept. So, here's their comments about my transmission fluid. See my OP for specifics about the car.

We found quite a lot of copper in this transmission sample, but everything else looks pretty good.
Since this was the factory fill of fluid, the copper is probably just due to wear-in of brass/bronze parts, and
we doubt it's a major concern, since the other metals are all fine. Universal averages show typical wear for
a Toyota automatic transmission after ~34,300 miles of oil use. As you do a couple more drain and fills, we
should see the copper level gradually diminish,
Old 07-23-15, 05:01 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Thanks to Lavrishevo for converting the document for me.

Last edited by swfla; 07-24-15 at 04:28 AM.
Old 07-23-15, 08:05 PM
Devh
Racer

It looks great from what I can see. I see no reason why it needs to be changed until 100k.
That alarmist on that thread that Doublebase posted probably doesn't apply for our transmissions.
My only concern is the high copper wear but it could just be break in metals in suspension but it needs to be watched because some transmission fluids can be corrosive to yellow metals.

Thanks for doing this.

Last edited by Devh; 07-23-15 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-24-15, 06:24 AM
jud149
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

Yep, thanks for the report.
Old 07-24-15, 08:15 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
It looks great from what I can see. I see no reason why it needs to be changed until 100k.
That alarmist on that thread that Doublebase posted probably doesn't apply for our transmissions.
My only concern is the high copper wear but it could just be break in metals in suspension but it needs to be watched because some transmission fluids can be corrosive to yellow metals.

Thanks for doing this.
The point I was trying to make is that it is not a lifetime fluid, just by going off that report changing it at 70,000 miles doesn't seem like a bad idea either. I'm trying to picture the fluid at 100,000, or 150,000, or 200,000 - because in this country Lexus IS saying its "lifetime". Everywhere else it's 60k mile fluid.

I don think it's a bad fluid, or something that needs to be replaced with a Valvoline product, or redline...or whatever. I just think it should be changed.

One other thing I wonder about is the TAN, I know with some machinery a TAN reading of 1.8 is too high...and a reading of 2.8 is on the end where you'll see wear of metals...copper, tin, etc. But I don't know about transmissions/tranny fluid.

Last edited by Doublebase; 07-24-15 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-24-15, 11:13 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Doublebase
The point I was trying to make is that it is not a lifetime fluid, just by going off that report changing it at 70,000 miles doesn't seem like a bad idea either. I'm trying to picture the fluid at 100,000, or 150,000, or 200,000 - because in this country Lexus IS saying its "lifetime". Everywhere else it's 60k mile fluid.

I don think it's a bad fluid, or something that needs to be replaced with a Valvoline product, or redline...or whatever. I just think it should be changed.

One other thing I wonder about is the TAN, I know with some machinery a TAN reading of 1.8 is too high...and a reading of 2.8 is on the end where you'll see wear of metals...copper, tin, etc. But I don't know about transmissions/tranny fluid.
I agree now especially in the light of new evidence with hard data. I'm not that suborn to stick with my earlier statements if new evidence is presented. I'm not so sure about the TAN but acidic fluid is the cause of yellow metal wear as you find in manual transmission fluid like GL5 and this concerns me, however the flip side to it all is that the transmission would suffer damage in one form or other with the bad condition of the fluid as they do in manual transmissions.
Old 07-24-15, 06:42 PM
GregoryNP
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I need the tranny drained too. 105K and it was done before I bought it around 50k. Also need a oil change . Going to try Phillips Toyota in Leesburg FL?

Originally Posted by swfla
Just had Toyota do a drain and fill on my 70,000 mile transmission. The bill was for 4 qts. and two washers/gaskets. Total of $123.17, $60/labor and $52.54 parts. I had them collect 4 oz of the fluid so I can send it off to Blackstone Labs for analysis. Pretty dark looking. I'll post my analysis when available. I think that even if the analysis comes back fine, I'll do two more drain and fills to have "fresher" fluid.
The Toyota dealer in Ocala has a gourmet chef lunch counter. Today they served fresh Maine lobster salad on a toasted hot dog bun with a side for $12.95. I'll be stopping in for lunch more often.

See post 35 for results.
Old 07-25-15, 03:31 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GregoryNP
I need the tranny drained too. 105K and it was done before I bought it around 50k. Also need a oil change . Going to try Phillips Toyota in Leesburg FL?
No need to drive to Orlando. At least you have a price to compare. I left it overnight because they said the temp is important for proper transmission fill. They don't want a hot car.
Old 07-25-15, 04:13 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

What I think is interesting is the Blackstone comment about the copper levels being higher from wear-in of parts as this is the first time it's been changed.
This implies to me that the trans fluid should be changed after a wear-in or break-in period. Just like engine oil!
I'm no gear head but don't recall that as a regular practice like changing the oil after the break in miles on a new car.
It could be said that copper, being a soft metal is unlikely to cause damage like iron would. But I think any higher than normal levels should be addressed for long life.
Personally, I'd guess that the 3-4 qts drained and replaced now have my copper levels down by 20-25%. I'm comfortable doing another drain and fill with an analysis to see if my guess on copper levels, as well as other metals, is close.
Old 07-25-15, 05:04 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by swfla
What I think is interesting is the Blackstone comment about the copper levels being higher from wear-in of parts as this is the first time it's been changed.
This implies to me that the trans fluid should be changed after a wear-in or break-in period. Just like engine oil!
I'm no gear head but don't recall that as a regular practice like changing the oil after the break in miles on a new car.
It could be said that copper, being a soft metal is unlikely to cause damage like iron would. But I think any higher than normal levels should be addressed for long life.
Personally, I'd guess that the 3-4 qts drained and replaced now have my copper levels down by 20-25%. I'm comfortable doing another drain and fill with an analysis to see if my guess on copper levels, as well as other metals, is close.
Not really needed. The really bad wear metals are trapped by the filter and drain magnet.
Most transmissions are built with this in mind. The filter ends up being a remnant after the break in.
Old 07-25-15, 05:13 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Sounds good. But I would think my iron readings would be lower than they are. Even if they too small for the filter, the magnet should take care of them??
Old 07-25-15, 05:27 AM
Devh
Racer

The magnet and filter should take care of any of the big particles that are far more dangerous. Unfortunately the really fine particles that you cannot see are suspended in the oil. Even oil formulations have metals in them that pass right through the filters. Usually we are more concerned with the erosion of these metals giving way to lose tolerances not necessarily their abrasiveness.
Have faith in the transmission they are built to handle these conditions.

Quick Reply: 2010 LS 460 Transmission Drain and Fill