LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Sold ISF for LS460 , mistake?

Old 07-16-15, 09:38 PM
780lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sold ISF for LS460 , mistake?

Hi guys, I've owned an obsidian black ISF for 3 years and recently sold it for a smoky granite '09 LS460 swb awd 49xxx km. Had my fun and got a good offer on it so I sold it and made a good return .

I've ordered springs, rear lip spoiler, front lip, roof spoiler, black graphite rohana RC10 and will be doing a custom exhaust with either secondary cat deletes and resonator deletes or resonator delete with sport mufflers. The car is being shipped in so I have all these parts and patiently waiting.

Ive always wanted an LS ever since I owned my 07 GS430 back in the day and I finally got one and was wondering how everyone still feels about their LS. Did I make a mistake or was it a good choice
Old 07-16-15, 09:41 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you bought a LS460 to add modifications, you probably bought the wrong car and you're in a very small percentile. Those same people will likely disagree with me, but you're taking a quiet, sleek luxury(not sport-luxury) car and trying to make it louder and flashier. I'd leave the exhaust modifications for a car that's actually fast enough to justify the noise. It's the same as throwing an exhaust and body kit on a Civic, even though they barely have the power to move out of their own way, just on a more expensive car.

Congrats on the purchase.
Old 07-16-15, 09:43 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Just my opinion, I think you would have been better off with the ISF.
Reason being that it has a better motor, better suspension, better performance numbers and sportier car overall.

If you traded up for more luxury with a cushy ride then the LS460 is the right car but it seems like from the mods you want for the 460 you want an ISF.
The 460 is not that kind of car, it's the quintessential "your fathers Oldsmobile".
Old 07-16-15, 09:45 PM
780lexus
Driver School Candidate

I don't think anything is wrong with a nice deep rumble from the V8 in the LS. You're comparing a 1.8 litre civic engine to a 4.6 V8. I understand the power isn't near an ISF and I'm not chasing that but I do know this engine sounds fantastic once restrictions are removed with the exhaust
Old 07-17-15, 05:25 AM
mk4umha
Pit Crew

Bah, I modded my LS430 with JIC Coilovers, wheels and a thicker swaybar for the rear. I don't regret it at all. This is the hands down best Daily i will own.
Old 07-17-15, 06:23 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

I bought my LS460 because I was looking for a reliable luxury vehicle that also had a reputation for quality and refinement, a multitude of features relating to comfort, convenience, and safety, well laid-out controls, and comfort, front and rear. I also liked the understated, yet sleek external styling. The lines and curves appeal to my esthetic sense.

Although I was initially tempted by the 2011+ Jaguar XJ, concerns about reliability, rear-seat legroom (in the SWB version), some overly gimmicky controls (the pop-up transmission dial comes to mind), and reportedly sluggish nav system made me hesitant. I wanted a vehicle that should be trouble-free for many miles, and that had withstood the test of time.

I wasn't looking for a car that I could power through curves with or one that I could stomp on the accelerator with have the acceleration throw me back in my seat. I simply have no desire to try to make the LS into a car different from what it is.

I consider the IS-F and the LS460 very different cars. Trying to turn or blend one type into the other seems like a lot of work, and some of the innate features of one vehicle will limit the success of the endeavor, IMO.
Old 07-17-15, 06:36 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Sold my 2008 ISF over a year ago for the '11 460L that I drive now and don't regret it one bit. But, there is a big "but" factor here. I bought the ISF when I was essentially single, my drive to work was 30 miles each way, and I didn't need room in the back (I think I can literally count the number of times that I drove people in the back on my fingers). That all changed during the time that I owned the F. Not only did my commute go from 60 miles a day to 140 miles a day, with the arrival of our baby the need for safety, convenience, tranquility, and luxury all trumped the fun that I was having in the F. So in the end, if I had a short commute to work and was single, then maybe the LS wouldn't have been the right car for me. But as things stand now, I couldn't picture a better car.
Old 07-17-15, 06:48 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Because the two cars are totally opposite, at the end of the day it's mindset. If you are ready for the lap of luxury, then the LS is spot on. If you're looking for a bigger sports car, not so much. Having come from the LS430 to the LS460, for me it was truly more sporty. I always felt like an old man in the 430 (oh wait, I am old), but in the 460, it just feels leaner, meaner and faster.

As for customization, I'm a purist so I don't mod. But, if that is your thing, I see nothing wrong with making the car your own. I look forward to seeing the results. Welcome aboard!
Old 07-17-15, 07:25 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I see nothing wrong with what your attempting to do. People do this all the time with the LS. Look at some other member's rides....TEE, etc. As long as you like it, enjoy!

I did a few things to my car that I felt improved the look and so on - wheels, tires (20 inch), LED tail lights, spoiler etc. It makes my car look different from anyone else's LS460..."personalized" if you will. My mods were extremely modest, though I did remove my mufflers to see if I liked the sound. I did not. Way too much droning. If I could afford a supercharger, Id be tempted to do that, but no way am I spending upwards of 20 grand to do that to a 25g car.

Regardless, it's your car. Do what makes ya happy. You'll likely love the LS as much as your ISF....but for COMPLETELY different reasons. As others have stated, the LS is pure luxury and not a sport luxury car, but that in no way doesn't mean you can't make it one. Most of the mods in suspension and the like, are exactly what Lexus would do if they made an LS a sport luxury car.
Old 07-17-15, 11:08 AM
780lexus
Driver School Candidate

Right on guys, in feeling pretty good about this now aha. I'll post pics when everything is done!
Old 07-17-15, 11:17 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Lexus is always a good choice but the sporty ISF and luxury LS are different cars when it comes to size, ride quality, comfort, options, etc.. Modifications can improve it looks but the LS was meant to be a luxury car.

Last edited by dlbuckls10; 07-17-15 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-19-15, 06:47 PM
XpediencY
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm thinking about getting rid of my 2013 as well, but for a 2013 LS Fsport. Lol
Old 07-19-15, 07:15 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats! The ISF is a such a sick car, I would love to drive one and experience that V8. I really like the rims you have on yours, adds a tasteful yet sporty touch. As many have said the LS is different, but in a good way. The LS IMO is one of the best daily drivers around: smooth, quiet, comfortable, loaded with features, reliable, and still has the V8 torque/power/sound when you want it. Plus, if you get the itch for something sportier down the road, you could always do what I plan on doing and add a fun weekend car!

Last edited by CarGuy89; 07-19-15 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-20-15, 01:39 PM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
If you bought a LS460 to add modifications, you probably bought the wrong car and you're in a very small percentile. Those same people will likely disagree with me, but you're taking a quiet, sleek luxury(not sport-luxury) car and trying to make it louder and flashier. I'd leave the exhaust modifications for a car that's actually fast enough to justify the noise. It's the same as throwing an exhaust and body kit on a Civic, even though they barely have the power to move out of their own way, just on a more expensive car.

Congrats on the purchase.

I disagree........except the last part....
Old 07-21-15, 02:16 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Well I think you did the right thing ,, the IS-F has the numbers but lets face it ,, its not a very good looking car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sold ISF for LS460 , mistake?