LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New Guy

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-15, 04:23 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Congratulations! Looks like a clean car. How many miles?

I remember when I first got mine...put a couple tires on it, did the tranny, changed the oil. I couldn't wait to work on it, etc. The thing I've found about these cars is that they are reliable - I've put 30k miles on mine and it hasn't given me one single problem (knock on wood). Initially I loved it so much that I didn't drive it hardly at all, but then someone said something to me that kind of stuck...it's just car, keep it clean, change the fluids, someday it will go to the junkyard like everything else. Ever since then I drive it everywhere.

If you're planning on driving it during the winter in Massachusetts you're going to need snow tires. That is a must, but once they're on, the things are very good in the snow for a rear wheel drive car.
Old 07-14-15, 05:15 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Initially I loved it so much that I didn't drive it hardly at all, but then someone said something to me that kind of stuck...it's just car, keep it clean, change the fluids, someday it will go to the junkyard like everything else. Ever since then I drive it everywhere.
There's another saying that goes like, "Not putting miles on your car is like not having sex with your girl friend so she'll be more desirable to her next boy friend."
Old 07-14-15, 07:47 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default New Guy

Hahahahahah

Welcome. And another one from Ma. I'm beginning to think there are too many of us.

I'm down in southeastern ma. If you are nearby let me know.
Old 07-14-15, 08:31 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Congrats and welcome!
Old 07-14-15, 08:41 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
There's another saying that goes like, "Not putting miles on your car is like not having sex with your girl friend so she'll be more desirable to her next boy friend."
Entirely too funny!!
Ill be honest here as well...
When I first purchased mine, I was a bit awe struck..
Didn't really desire to drive it much but loved to look at it while it was parked in the garage and just admired the car while it....sat stationary.
I had another reason or two why I didn't drive it as much, but it wasn't until a few weeks ago when I thought to myself: Its an 8 year old car, with lower miles, but its 8 years old! After im done with the car, it'll be well over 10 years old! At that point, its value wont be much anyways, so the best I can take care of it the best I can, enjoy the hell out of it and cross the "When should I get rid of it" bridge when I get there! I've been driving it nearly every day since. Granted I don't drive far, as I put 30-35 miles on the car/day!
To the OP, as much as I absolutely love Nobel Spinel and Starfire, theres still a soft spot for that metallic silver..just something about it!
Beautiful car!
Old 07-14-15, 08:51 AM
jfattibe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for all the responses. I do have the hesitation and I'm hoping it's from having the wrong oil in it, again, wouldn't have known unless I read it here. It has 87k on it, which is pretty low. I haven't got under there yet to check bushings but I purchased a warranty pkg. that covers it if they are in fact bad. She also has the " comfort plus pkg." With the power reclining rear seats. Agian this car is amazing. I'm just the opposite whan it comes to driving it, one night I even offered to go out and get feminine products !!!!!!

Greg, I'm in Swansea if you're ever around, would love to see your car.
Old 07-14-15, 09:29 AM
macjac69
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Welcom

Congrats on the LS. Same exterior color as mine but much more loaded on the inside!
Old 07-14-15, 12:21 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jfattibe
Thank you for all the responses. I do have the hesitation and I'm hoping it's from having the wrong oil in it, again, wouldn't have known unless I read it here. It has 87k on it, which is pretty low. I haven't got under there yet to check bushings but I purchased a warranty pkg. that covers it if they are in fact bad. She also has the " comfort plus pkg." With the power reclining rear seats. Agian this car is amazing. I'm just the opposite whan it comes to driving it, one night I even offered to go out and get feminine products !!!!!!

Greg, I'm in Swansea if you're ever around, would love to see your car.
Congrats on the car! Although I didn't want silver on this car -- I've had a silver car for years and wanted something more flamboyant -- it looks great on the LS. Also, kudos on the Comfort Plus package. I don't regret waiting for a vehicle to become available that had this option.

I also like to find an excuse to drive mine. I've become much more obsessed with finding the right parking space to at least delay the first ding.
Old 07-14-15, 12:45 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Good point.
Old 07-14-15, 12:46 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Entirely too funny!!
Ill be honest here as well...
When I first purchased mine, I was a bit awe struck..
Didn't really desire to drive it much but loved to look at it while it was parked in the garage and just admired the car while it....sat stationary.
I had another reason or two why I didn't drive it as much, but it wasn't until a few weeks ago when I thought to myself: Its an 8 year old car, with lower miles, but its 8 years old! After im done with the car, it'll be well over 10 years old! At that point, its value wont be much anyways, so the best I can take care of it the best I can, enjoy the hell out of it and cross the "When should I get rid of it" bridge when I get there! I've been driving it nearly every day since. Granted I don't drive far, as I put 30-35 miles on the car/day!
To the OP, as much as I absolutely love Nobel Spinel and Starfire, theres still a soft spot for that metallic silver..just something about it!
Beautiful car!
Good points and I'll tell yeah, once I started driving this thing, not only have I loaded on the miles, but I've loved every second of it. Been great.
Old 07-14-15, 02:06 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Nice looking car! Thanks for the photos.
Old 07-14-15, 02:51 PM
jfattibe
Driver

Dumped the oil today, pretty straight forward. The only problem I had was when I tried to take the first screw cap off the filter housing to drain it the whole housing started to spin so I took my time and slowly unscrewed it to drain it and when I thought it was safe took it off and dumped it in the drain pan. Even when I tried to get it off in the bench it wouldn't budge and I didn't want to beat on it being plastic. I guess this will be the norm for me ?? Anyway it's done and I'll sleep better knowing it's done right. I also wanted to check the trans fluid but couldn't find the dipstick ??? Does anyone know where they're hiding it ??

Last edited by jfattibe; 07-14-15 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-14-15, 03:14 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jfattibe

Dumped the oil today, pretty straight forward. The only problem I had was when I tried to take the first screw cap off the filter housing to drain it the whole housing started to spin so I took my time and slowly unscrewed it to drain it and when I thought it was safe took it off and dumped it in the drain pan. Even when I tried to get it off in the bench it wouldn't budge and I didn't want to beat on it being plastic. I guess this will be the norm for me ?? Anyway it's done and I'll sleep better knowing it's done right. I also wanted to check the trans fluid but couldn't find the dipstick ??? Does anyone know where they're hiding it ??
There is no dipstick for the transmission. It is a sealed system and said to be good for the life of the car. There is a bolt on the tranny that can be opened if the car is cool. The fluid should be all the way to the hole. Make sure the car is cool because if it's warm. It should leak out as the heat fluid has expanded. There are a few videos on the site talking about the tranny flush and fill. If you don't suspect anything wrong with it, I would open that can of worms.
Old 07-14-15, 03:23 PM
jfattibe
Driver

Originally Posted by Unsober1
There is no dipstick for the transmission. It is a sealed system and said to be good for the life of the car. There is a bolt on the tranny that can be opened if the car is cool. The fluid should be all the way to the hole. Make sure the car is cool because if it's warm. It should leak out as the heat fluid has expanded. There are a few videos on the site talking about the tranny flush and fill. If you don't suspect anything wrong with it, I would open that can of worms.
Very good thank you. I thought I was going nuts when I couldn't find it....how is any fluid good for life ??
Old 07-14-15, 03:40 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not. The best way to flush it would be to cycle some clean fluid through it, then remove the pan and thoroughly clean it and clean the mesh filter that's on it, then reinstall and refill with new fluid. The initial flush will remove all the fluid and crap in it, then removing the pan will get anything that's settled or loosened.

If you have under 90,000 miles, I'd just flush it and continue to flush it every 60,000 miles to keep it fresh.

Quick Reply: New Guy