LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 replace 8 front control arms (Houston TX)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-15, 08:34 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Trumpanche
For the upper control arms, they changed the bushing fill/shape completely; I posted some pics a while back - it's significantly/obviously different. I had Benson's in Clear Lake change mine out and I have no complaints. I think it ended up being around $400 labor. Since I only changed out 6 of the 8 arms, you could expect to pay a little more.

Pic's & part number info:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ol-arms-2.html
Thanks a lot for the information and recommendation
Old 07-09-15, 08:35 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by wchain
I've had good luck with Southwest Wheel Alignment on richmond, and sometimes they allow you to bring your own parts....
Thanks a lot for the recommendation, this shop seems to have nice reviews: yelp: 4.5, google: 4.2.
and it is close to where I live, will check it out, thanks,
Old 02-23-16, 05:09 PM
SupraTurbo
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems like I have the same issue on my LS I haven't had the time yet to get under there and check, but is it normally just the fronts that go out or rears also?

Definitely seems like something Lexus should have issued a recall on such widespread common issue.
Old 02-24-16, 05:05 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

As a person who has done a lot of research on the subject and actually changed my control arms on my back, in my garage, without air tools or a lift, I can confidently say that the LS460 control arm "issue" is the most overblown subject on the entire internet (and I would include aliens and time travel in that conversation).

Any somewhat capable mechanic should easily be able to replace all 8 control arms on this vehicle. Easily. There is absolutely no need to take the vehicle to Lexus for this situation, aftermarket parts are readily available for a fraction of the cost and the repair itself is easy. And replacing all 8 control arms is not always necessary, the uppers are the ones that take the most abuse.

If you do decide to replace all 8 control arms - which is essentially replacing almost every part of your front end - you should be able to have this repair done at an independent shop for somewhere around $1,000 bucks. So for 1 grand you will have yourself an entirely new front end, and considering you most likely made it to 100,000 miles at this point, it's not a bad place to be. Again, we are talking about replacing 8 control arms here - if you walked into a local garage with any other car and told them you wanted to replace every control arm and ball joint in your front end, most of them would think...yes!! This guy is nuts, thank you baby Jesus. Understandably you may actually need all 8 arms, but chances are you don't. I know when I was pulling mine off I began to think...ok, now this one doesn't look bad...this one either...am I wasting my time and money here? Hell I still have my old arms, a friend of mine told me to sell some of them on eBay because they don't look bad. So do yourself a favor, at least entertain the thought of having a local shop do the repair...and believe me there are plenty of people that are capable of tackling this job on their own as well.

Now if we're talking about the brake actuator...that's a different can of nuts.
The following 3 users liked this post by Doublebase:
Citysunset (06-16-20), FreddyG (07-06-22), RazorBack1 (09-29-18)
Old 02-24-16, 07:14 AM
ricam78
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by texas008
the 2009 LS460 makes a clunk noise when start moving or coming to a stop.
Lexus dealer checked and said the two front lower control arms need replacement.
dealer quote is $4600 for the lower control arms (both side, 4 pieces, parts and labor).

Called a well-regarded independent Lexus shop in Houston and they recommend replacing all upper and lower control arms. The price is $4200 for all eight control arm pieces (OEM parts) parts and labor.

Did some research in this forum. I've ordered all eight pieces of control arms: 4 upper + 4 lower. total cost is $510 from ebay (160+200+150).

Question 1: besides the arms, what other parts do I need, e.g. bolts & nuts?

Next will go find a reputable shop to replace the arms

Question 2: Could someone recommend a shop in Houston for this work? What's a reasonable price to replace all the 8 control arms?

Thanks a lot.
I sent you a private message. Hope that helps.
Old 02-24-16, 07:46 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Definitely seems like something Lexus should have issued a recall on such widespread common issue.
Many people cry "RECALL"! not understanding that recalls are only done due to safety concerns. Recalls are not ordered because of a perceived inferiority of parts of a car (paint peeling, poor craftsmanship, etc). Now, if you want to talk about a "courtesy repair" or warranty extension, etc, then that would be up to Lexus. And as Doublebase stated, this issue is wildly over blown. I have over 100k miles on my 08 and have no control arm issues, but if I did, I'd tackle it easily as a DIY in the manner he explained. If the repairs cost me 600 bucks, I'd be pleased that this is the only significant issue I've had with my LS.
Old 02-24-16, 08:19 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Had poly bushings on my old GS430. So much better than OEM that I will never go back. It may be worth the time to go poly and have them pressed in as replacement. I like doing jobs one time only.
Old 02-24-16, 08:37 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Kbueno
Had poly bushings on my old GS430. So much better than OEM that I will never go back. It may be worth the time to go poly and have them pressed in as replacement. I like doing jobs one time only.
Funny you make this statement.
When I was contemplating which route to go regarding my UCA's on my LS, I was strongly considering FIGS, as they offered high quality lube-packed poly bushings.
Before continuing, I would like to say that the guys over at FIGS are fantastic and will answer ANY questions you may have about their products and are very knowledgeable.
The reason I decided against poly bushings, was that FIGS indicated that "IF" over time, the bushings begin to creek/squeal, then they would need to be re-greased, and the only way to do that, is to remove the arm, re-grease it, then re-install the arm.
But they also told me that they have yet to have anyone who had Super Pro bushings installed complain of any issues or creeking noises.
That just didn't sound attractive to me, so I went ahead and had Lexus install their revised OEM UCA's, but only to find out from their Master Mechanic that the revised OEM bushings are in fact high-density poly.
Go figure.
Old 02-24-16, 08:50 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

I too have been fortunate so far with my 08. I can't say that I'm noticing any problem with the front end. The car drives straight and I don't hear the clunks. With that said, I'm sure down the road as with all used cars, I'll have some repairs. In fact, the crack on my drivers door arm rest is the biggest issue. It's all good!
Old 02-24-16, 08:51 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Indeed, poly sounds great at first. However, they come with their own unique issues.
Old 02-25-16, 10:53 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Funny you make this statement.
When I was contemplating which route to go regarding my UCA's on my LS, I was strongly considering FIGS, as they offered high quality lube-packed poly bushings.
Before continuing, I would like to say that the guys over at FIGS are fantastic and will answer ANY questions you may have about their products and are very knowledgeable.
The reason I decided against poly bushings, was that FIGS indicated that "IF" over time, the bushings begin to creek/squeal, then they would need to be re-greased, and the only way to do that, is to remove the arm, re-grease it, then re-install the arm.
But they also told me that they have yet to have anyone who had Super Pro bushings installed complain of any issues or creeking noises.
That just didn't sound attractive to me, so I went ahead and had Lexus install their revised OEM UCA's, but only to find out from their Master Mechanic that the revised OEM bushings are in fact high-density poly.
Go figure.
Oh good to know! So they went from rubber to poly in their revision?
It's all about being careful to grease all of the bushing during install..I put a 100k on my GS w no creaks.
Old 02-25-16, 07:33 PM
SupraTurbo
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Many people cry "RECALL"! not understanding that recalls are only done due to safety concerns. Recalls are not ordered because of a perceived inferiority of parts of a car (paint peeling, poor craftsmanship, etc). Now, if you want to talk about a "courtesy repair" or warranty extension, etc, then that would be up to Lexus. And as Doublebase stated, this issue is wildly over blown. I have over 100k miles on my 08 and have no control arm issues, but if I did, I'd tackle it easily as a DIY in the manner he explained. If the repairs cost me 600 bucks, I'd be pleased that this is the only significant issue I've had with my LS.
You can call it recall or whatever, but all of the other Lexus' I've ever owned, including 20+ year old SC300's with 300k+ miles, have never had such issues. Heck, never anything past oil, pads, belts, etc has ever been changed or broken. I expect at least, if not more - not 40k miles out of a flagship sedan. And whether its a $5 or $5000, 5 minute or 5 hour repair has no correlation to that...

Last edited by SupraTurbo; 02-25-16 at 07:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Citysunset (06-16-20)
Old 02-26-16, 09:34 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Kbueno
Oh good to know! So they went from rubber to poly in their revision?
It's all about being careful to grease all of the bushing during install..I put a 100k on my GS w no creaks.
That's the information I was given by the Master Tech at Lexus who performed my UCA replacement.
I honestly don't know what the difference is between the poly in Lexus OEM bushings versus, say Super Pro bushings (it has to be the material, construction and greasing method), but I do wonder at what point these bushings will wear/creek, especially for vehicles that are in geographic regions where air moisture/rain and snow are variables.
I will say though, that's great you've been able to put 100k on them with no issues.
That's a confidence builder regarding the part for sure.
Old 07-08-16, 11:59 PM
Deezie
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my 2007 lexus at 72k needs upper and lower control arms any good deals or help guys im kinda new here
Old 07-09-16, 06:34 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

If you are in Houston, my friend that helped me do my bushings just this week works at Craig's Automotive Repair Service.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/craigs-auto-...ervice-houston

They are a very very good shop, and obviously, they know how to work on these cars.

Quick Reply: LS460 replace 8 front control arms (Houston TX)