LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner works: better throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-15, 03:28 PM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts
Smile Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner works: better throttle response

just to share my recent experience. and want to see if anyone else has similar experience.

Many friends recommended using Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner (TFIC). I decided to give it a try. When filling up the gas tank of my 2009 LS460, I put in about half bottle of TFIC (product description recommended 1 bottle for 16 gallons of gas). and then i noticed the change. The car now feels more powerful, with faster & more linear throttle response, and with less lag. seems it really works.
Old 07-04-15, 04:23 PM
lexgolf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by texas008
just to share my recent experience. and want to see if anyone else has similar experience.

Many friends recommended using Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner (TFIC). I decided to give it a try. When filling up the gas tank of my 2009 LS460, I put in about half bottle of TFIC (product description recommended 1 bottle for 16 gallons of gas). and then i noticed the change. The car now feels more powerful, with faster & more linear throttle response, and with less lag. seems it really works.
I regularly use one bottle every 5K miles, but can't say I feel any difference in throttle response. It's just good hygiene for the engine.
Old 07-04-15, 09:36 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

It's on sale at Costco right now! 6 bottle case of Techron.
Old 07-07-15, 07:43 AM
texas008
Advanced

Originally Posted by lexgolf
I regularly use one bottle every 5K miles, but can't say I feel any difference in throttle response. It's just good hygiene for the engine.
great to know.. i'll start using them regularly as well..
Old 07-07-15, 07:44 AM
texas008
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tec80
It's on sale at Costco right now! 6 bottle case of Techron.
yes 6 bottles for $15.
the 0W20 oil was on sale a few weeks ago as well in costco
Old 07-19-15, 08:05 PM
tiglesias
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by texas008

Yes, this product works. My 2010 Lexus SC430 with 30,000 miles was starting to run lean and bog between the second and third shift. Initially it felt like the transmission was slipping. I put one bottle of Techron with a half a tank of gas then took it out on the highway and did many WOT accelerations from 60 mph. The result is a much better running engine especially on acceleration from 30 mph and a much smoother idle. Try it, it worked for me!

Tom
Old 07-19-15, 10:09 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The placebo effect is not an accepted indication that medication works, especially when the subject is given a glucose pill, and neither is the butt-feeling that anight impact was made. While it makes you feel better, it does not make the opinion valid.

As I have described I have described here, and elsewhere, in the past, the results of a fuel cleaner are the same as running normal gas through your fuel system, as they also contain detergents to keep your fuel system clean. There are exceptions to this, but the analysis of the ingredients of that fuel cleaner show it to contain extremely weak solvents and cleaners, which would not lead to anything that would clean any more than running fuels. The same can be said for running sea foam through an engine's vacuum lines, when water would produce similar results and equal risks for damage from hydrolocking the engine.

If you truly feel it is necessary to pour an additive into the fuel tank as a means of cleaning the fuel system, pour most of a bottle of carb cleaner into a 1/8-1/4 full tank and you will get maximal cleaning from a strong solvent. The risk is, of course, that strong solvents and rubber seals do not mix well. The paradox here is that stronger solvents are required to break down gunk that has built up. For any of you that have ever cleaned carb jets that have clogged up, you'll know that sometimes even just blasting the carb cleaner is not enough to degum the inlet and it requires soaking for a while.

I am happy that you felt the results that you wished you would feel, but if there was anything significant enough to impact performance, fuel cleaner would not be enough to fix it.

As for your sc430 running lean, how do you know? What were your stft and ltft numbers while driving at different throttlr levels? This is a feedback system, so if it was running so lean that the fuel system could not compensate with 25% additional fuel(positive stft and ltft), it would have thrown a lean engine code. Did it?

Last edited by NickTee; 07-19-15 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-19-15, 10:32 PM
IncgntoLex
Rookie

I use a pressurized canister, fill it with cleaner and hook it into the fuel rail. This is after pulling the fuel pump relay and relieving pressure from the fuel system. Does wonders for dirty injectors.
Old 07-20-15, 05:22 AM
tiglesias
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by NickTee
The placebo effect is not an accepted indication that medication works, especially when the subject is given a glucose pill, and neither is the butt-feeling that anight impact was made. While it makes you feel better, it does not make the opinion valid.

As I have described I have described here, and elsewhere, in the past, the results of a fuel cleaner are the same as running normal gas through your fuel system, as they also contain detergents to keep your fuel system clean. There are exceptions to this, but the analysis of the ingredients of that fuel cleaner show it to contain extremely weak solvents and cleaners, which would not lead to anything that would clean any more than running fuels. The same can be said for running sea foam through an engine's vacuum lines, when water would produce similar results and equal risks for damage from hydrolocking the engine.

If you truly feel it is necessary to pour an additive into the fuel tank as a means of cleaning the fuel system, pour most of a bottle of carb cleaner into a 1/8-1/4 full tank and you will get maximal cleaning from a strong solvent. The risk is, of course, that strong solvents and rubber seals do not mix well. The paradox here is that stronger solvents are required to break down gunk that has built up. For any of you that have ever cleaned carb jets that have clogged up, you'll know that sometimes even just blasting the carb cleaner is not enough to degum the inlet and it requires soaking for a while.

I am happy that you felt the results that you wished you would feel, but if there was anything significant enough to impact performance, fuel cleaner would not be enough to fix it.

As for your sc430 running lean, how do you know? What were your stft and ltft numbers while driving at different throttlr levels? This is a feedback system, so if it was running so lean that the fuel system could not compensate with 25% additional fuel(positive stft and ltft), it would have thrown a lean engine code. Did it?
Nick,

I have 30 years of experience as an ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician, How many do you have? I am also a former Toyota T-Ten Instructor. I speak from both experience and training.

1. Sometimes a lean misfire will not set a code. Does the check engine light come on as your are starting to run out of gas because the tank is empty? No.

2. I have used Techron Concentrated fuel additive since 1985 when Port fuel injectors came on the scene. It is effective in unclogging the injectors. Use it with 1/2 a tank of fuel to get the maximum affect. Do not use carb cleaner as it is not designed for the purpose stated above.

3. Your assumptions are incorrect regarding the efficacy of using Techron. Please refrain from challenging another members stated results as you may be preventing other members from realizing the same effective low cost results.

I wish you well.

Tom
Old 07-20-15, 09:06 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Tom,
I'm an ASE certified master tech as well (and I'm also an instructor). I have used Techron at dealers before...I have used it myself, in my opinion it doesn't do much. I have also used Seafoam - again, not much, if anything.

You know as well as I do that if you take an engine apart, the cleanest thing is those fuel injectors. I've cut them open, there's nothing that needs cleaning in there. Fuel cleans, it's a solvent, and these injectors have a spray pattern that self cleans themselves.

I'm all for the "if it makes you feel good, do it", aspect of vehicle maintenance...hell I do that myself by changing fluids when they probably don't really need it. But I honestly think unicorn horn dust would be as beneficial as Techron fuel additive.
Old 07-20-15, 08:26 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tiglesias
Nick,

I have 30 years of experience as an ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician, How many do you have? I am also a former Toyota T-Ten Instructor. I speak from both experience and training.

1. Sometimes a lean misfire will not set a code. Does the check engine light come on as your are starting to run out of gas because the tank is empty? No.

2. I have used Techron Concentrated fuel additive since 1985 when Port fuel injectors came on the scene. It is effective in unclogging the injectors. Use it with 1/2 a tank of fuel to get the maximum affect. Do not use carb cleaner as it is not designed for the purpose stated above.

3. Your assumptions are incorrect regarding the efficacy of using Techron. Please refrain from challenging another members stated results as you may be preventing other members from realizing the same effective low cost results.

I wish you well.

Tom

ASE is nothing more than a school you attend. It means nothing in the grand scheme of things, other than on job applications. It does not make you an expert the chemistry involved with fuel systems. I'm a biology and chemistry major. How many years of experience do you have in those, since those are more relevant to the chemistry of carbon, etc? I am talking from both experience and training, as well.

Correct, not all misfires set off codes. I have had cars with a disconnected spark plug wire that didn't set off a code. Doesn't mean it doesn't have anything wrong. However, STFT and LTFT WILL tell you that something is wrong right away. So why did you not answer me as to what your STFT and LTFT are doing? Do you know how to determine what they mean and how to use them? They're fairly effective and extremely easy to read with a scanner.

Do you have any proof of it actually unclogging the injectors or carbs? All you have done is counter my statements with zero proof, merely your opinion. Even Double Base, who is also a Master Tech, contradicts your statements. If what you were saying were such a resounding fact, his opinion should directly coincide with yours.

Please do not challenge my statements without coming back with proof. Being a ASE mechanic does not make you an expert on what actually goes on inside a combustion chamber. Your statements regarding the lean shifting and not bothering to check your STFT and LTFT further back that. As an expert, you should know to diagnose a problem before you simply throw things at it in an attempt to fix it, especially when it comes to fuel systems. A better way to fix clogged injectors is to have them removed, rebuilt, and flow-matched. It's a fairly inexpensive, $100-120 for eight injectors, that will bring your injectors to their max performance and they will be balanced. Throwing fuel cleaner in there is just money you could have spent to have them cleaned properly. You could even have removed them yourself and followed DIY tutorials on cleaning them if you didn't want to spend the money on a full rebuild. Also a better option.

On a side note, I have a motorcycle that I will be pulling the carbs on. The jets are clogged on them, so I am going to see how much time it takes to break down the build-up compared to carb cleaner, if it does it at all. Obviously it's not an apples-to-apples, but it will demonstrate what it's capable of.

As a side-note, there are some interesting videos of people with boroscopes showing before and after videos of the cylinders with fuel-cleaners. All of them show a very small amount of clean-up in the least built-up areas, techron took several bottles for this result, but it shows how truly stubborn the carbon bonds are to the parts. It takes you soaking and scrubbing to really clean up that carbon inside. If I had to remove a cylinder head anytime soon, I'd use techron as an amusing experiment in remove carbon, but I don't. Sorrry

Last edited by NickTee; 07-20-15 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-20-15, 09:02 PM
IncgntoLex
Rookie

Originally Posted by NickTee
ASE is nothing more than a school you attend. It means nothing in the grand scheme of things, other than on job applications. It does not make you an expert the chemistry involved with fuel systems. I'm a biology and chemistry major. How many years of experience do you have in those, since those are more relevant to the chemistry of carbon, etc? I am talking from both experience and training, as well.

Correct, not all misfires set off codes. I have had cars with a disconnected spark plug wire that didn't set off a code. Doesn't mean it doesn't have anything wrong. However, STFT and LTFT WILL tell you that something is wrong right away. So why did you not answer me as to what your STFT and LTFT are doing? Do you know how to determine what they mean and how to use them? They're fairly effective and extremely easy to read with a scanner.

Do you have any proof of it actually unclogging the injectors or carbs? All you have done is counter my statements with zero proof, merely your opinion. Even Double Base, who is also a Master Tech, contradicts your statements. If what you were saying were such a resounding fact, his opinion should directly coincide with yours.

Please do not challenge my statements without coming back with proof. Being a ASE mechanic does not make you an expert on what actually goes on inside a combustion chamber. Your statements regarding the lean shifting and not bothering to check your STFT and LTFT further back that. As an expert, you should know to diagnose a problem before you simply throw things at it in an attempt to fix it, especially when it comes to fuel systems. A better way to fix clogged injectors is to have them removed, rebuilt, and flow-matched. It's a fairly inexpensive, $100-120 for eight injectors, that will bring your injectors to their max performance and they will be balanced. Throwing fuel cleaner in there is just money you could have spent to have them cleaned properly. You could even have removed them yourself and followed DIY tutorials on cleaning them if you didn't want to spend the money on a full rebuild. Also a better option.

On a side note, I have a motorcycle that I will be pulling the carbs on. The jets are clogged on them, so I am going to see how much time it takes to break down the build-up compared to carb cleaner, if it does it at all. Obviously it's not an apples-to-apples, but it will demonstrate what it's capable of.

As a side-note, there are some interesting videos of people with boroscopes showing before and after videos of the cylinders with fuel-cleaners. All of them show a very small amount of clean-up in the least built-up areas, techron took several bottles for this result, but it shows how truly stubborn the carbon bonds are to the parts. It takes you soaking and scrubbing to really clean up that carbon inside. If I had to remove a cylinder head anytime soon, I'd use techron as an amusing experiment in remove carbon, but I don't. Sorrry
ASE is just a school he attended... And you are a chemistry/biology major. That's a good laugh, you countered his claim of going to school by saying you went to a school. Well done. I think we can let this thread die now that we have a PHD automotive brain heart field surgeon Walter white in the house. No but really I agree fuel cleaner has to be concentrated to do real work, this is why I use a canister direct to the fuel rail. It's efforts are minimal, but saying it does nothing is not true. It does help. I have had injectors fail tests and fall out of specs, and then with a cycle of my unicorn dust juice fuel cleaner, the readings meet and pass (barely passing is still passing and ensures the customer will be back in 15-30k for another service). -source: my previous experience as a line tech, my understanding of injectors comes from the two years I spent cleaning and bench testing injectors for 9 hours everyday all day. Sorry no PHD in economics here.

Ps: I have a special sale going on for synthetic parabolic reflector lubricant pm me for details
Old 07-20-15, 09:27 PM
lexgolf
Rookie

As a side-note, there are some interesting videos of people with boroscopes showing before and after videos of the cylinders with fuel-cleaners. All of them show a very small amount of clean-up in the least built-up areas, techron took several bottles for this result, but it shows how truly stubborn the carbon bonds are to the parts. It takes you soaking and scrubbing to really clean up that carbon inside. If I had to remove a cylinder head anytime soon, I'd use techron as an amusing experiment in remove carbon, but I don't. Sorrry[/QUOTE]

For a biology / chem major, you are pretty opinionated. I am not sure what field of business you are in but it is probably not engine / fuel design.

BMW sells Techron branded under their own name to clean their injectors. As an owner of multiple BMW's, I use it religiously. I doubt if BMW would recommend it for the placebo effect.

If you can bring actual data, instead of a biology major's opinions, you might be more welcome here.
Old 07-21-15, 08:57 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Here is my take from an enthusiast perspective. Toyota has published a white paper I believe in 2009 stating that the quality of fuel in the US depending on where you buy gas may not have enough detergent in it's mixture to adequately clean the fuel system.
I have had a set of injectors long ago sent out to a person who cleans and balances them. When I got my report back it seemed as if the flow rates and atomization quality was not changed that much after cleaning. I called the service and the owner told me that rarely do fuel injectors need cleaning and they generally do not get clogged. The reason for his service is to make sure performance injectors are balanced and functioning properly for forced induction applications where it is a lot more crucial especially when the build costs a fortune.

I have never run into a situation where a fuel additive has solve a problem but I'm not going to deny that it probably can remove deposits on the valves or chamber for a temporary relief that is soon to return unless it is cleaned again and I believe there is something very wrong with the quality of gas that is being used to create this condition in the first place.
I believe you are better off taking that injector cleaner money and just paying more for gas at a major chain that adds extra additive at every fill up. I never had a problem with any of my cars that required the use of a fuel cleaner and I have used several with mixed results.

Last edited by Devh; 07-21-15 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-21-15, 01:06 PM
tiglesias
Pit Crew

Guys,

This thread is "unreal" . I can "feel" the difference in performance (acceleration quality) after using the Techron. If you do not agree, DO NOT USE IT. End of story.

Quick Reply: Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner works: better throttle response