LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Jump Starting LS 460

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-15, 03:27 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,206 Likes on 956 Posts
Default Jump Starting LS 460

It's a 2010 with a new battery, so no problems right now. I have always carried jumper cables in my trunk. I'm considering purchasing a power pack style jumper pack if really recommended/superior. I am afraid that most of these packs have short cables and would be difficult to reach the LS battery. First thing that struck me is the LS battery is covered. Is it as simple as popping the lock pins and removing the cover? Is jumping this car straight forward like most other cars? I know that a Mercedes S class is a problem in this area.
Happy holiday to you and yours.
Edit: I discovered lithium ion jump starters that are small enough to easily get to the LS battery and enough CCA to handle a v8.

Last edited by swfla; 07-04-15 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-05-15, 04:47 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I believe the lithium battery jump starters have to be removed from a running car within 12 seconds, if I remember correctly. It's not a huge deal, but it's easy to forget - you'll damage the jump pack, not the car.

As for the LS, as far as I know it's like jumping a normal car. If the battery is dead it does take a while for the car to go through a rebooting process. There's a lot of memory involved in these vehicles and you might have to put the jumper on there...key it on (not start it) and let the car reprogram itself....then start it. It takes about a minute - you'll see a load bar on the navigation screen, loading up.
Old 07-05-15, 10:05 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Reboot time makes sense. Thanks. After reading what little factual information there is about the lithium jumpers, I've decide that they're marginal for a high compression V8 like the LS 460. Maybe they'll work, maybe they won't. I'll either wait for better technology or go with the proven lead acid jumpers. With a new battery, I should have time.
Old 07-06-15, 09:55 AM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
Reboot time makes sense. Thanks. After reading what little factual information there is about the lithium jumpers, I've decide that they're marginal for a high compression V8 like the LS 460. Maybe they'll work, maybe they won't. I'll either wait for better technology or go with the proven lead acid jumpers. With a new battery, I should have time.
I have them for all my cars (and gave them to the kids for theirs). I never had an issue with my Grand Cherokee - with its V8 engine and my son's used his on an old Ford F150 Econoline van. Of course the other cars - Benz (3.5L 6 cyl) and SC (4.3L V8) work fine as well. I've had to use it on the SC a few times because the parasitic drain is pretty high for a car that's only used every couple of weeks or so (especially in the winter). I have jumper cables and can always call AAA for a jump but I like being able to do it right now vs. waiting for someone else to be able to help.
Old 07-06-15, 11:05 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DiggerJim
I have them for all my cars (and gave them to the kids for theirs). I never had an issue with my Grand Cherokee - with its V8 engine and my son's used his on an old Ford F150 Econoline van. Of course the other cars - Benz (3.5L 6 cyl) and SC (4.3L V8) work fine as well. I've had to use it on the SC a few times because the parasitic drain is pretty high for a car that's only used every couple of weeks or so (especially in the winter). I have jumper cables and can always call AAA for a jump but I like being able to do it right now vs. waiting for someone else to be able to help.
What brand/model and capacity lithium ion jumpers do you have and for how long?
Old 07-06-15, 06:30 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
What brand/model and capacity lithium ion jumpers do you have and for how long?
Antigravity XP1 in the Jeep - about 3 yrs now. No name 12v 12000mah Jump Starter Multi-function Mobile Power Bank Car Battery Charger from Amazon, 2 yrs but no longer available on Amazon (others are though). Lowes InstaBoost 400amp jump starter, 2 yrs.

I honestly haven't seen any difference between any of them. I grab whichever one is handy when I need it. The big difference is in the accessories included with the battery - one of them has more connectors & adapters for electronic devices than I've seen outside of Radio Shack. I consider those to be marketing **** - they just get attention but don't serve a real need (at least for me). I expect the batteries are made by the same folks in China and then just private labeled. They don't look much different, weigh about the same, work the same. Who knows if the battery quality is the same but I make sure I put them on a charger every 6 months (before & after winter) and they've been fine.
Old 07-07-15, 03:42 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Thank you for the useful information and experience.