LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

From eight to twelve

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-15, 02:05 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
The V12 is a great motor however it's advantages as far as power delivery is not that advantageous with current technology anymore considering you can now get past the clumsy restrictions the V12 imposes . There seems to be a contradiction here which is one of nostalgia and prestige of old vs newer technology.
An electric motor is nearly vibration free and it's always on the boil with instantaneous torque and virtually no noise compared to a V12. It is clearly superior and it's what the V12s try to simulate but it's still far from it.
I like the manual feel of a 6 speed and clutch but clearly a sequential gear box is far superior except for maybe reliability. The reason why V12 are no longer used in formula one racing is political to keep it competitive but it's configuration of being mid engine doesn't impose a penalty compared to front engine V12s that do.
An Inline 6 is smoother then a V8 and also has better quality of power delivery and that is because it has similar characteristics to a V12. But as you can see manufactures have moved away from inline 6 motors just because of the clumsiness.
Sure it's old vs new; nostalgia vs latest tech. But again I don't think that "clumsy" is the proper word here. Before the proliferation of hybrid and electric drive train systems, the V12 was typically reserved for the most prestigious applications, and there was a good reason for that. Effortless power delivery, smoothness, exclusivity. All those things made the V12 configuration iconic rather than clumsy.

Now if you ask me whether that configuration makes sense today, I would look at the subject from a very different point of view. But that doesn't change the fact that the V12 was and still remains an amazing engine configuration if executed properly.

BTW, manufacturers move away from the inline 6 motor and to the v6 because of the dimensions rather than any "clumsiness." A v6 motor can be considerably more compact, allowing for better/more efficient configuration of the engine bay, front crash structures, and cabin.
Old 07-08-15, 03:26 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
Sure it's old vs new; nostalgia vs latest tech. But again I don't think that "clumsy" is the proper word here. Before the proliferation of hybrid and electric drive train systems, the V12 was typically reserved for the most prestigious applications, and there was a good reason for that. Effortless power delivery, smoothness, exclusivity. All those things made the V12 configuration iconic rather than clumsy.

Now if you ask me whether that configuration makes sense today, I would look at the subject from a very different point of view. But that doesn't change the fact that the V12 was and still remains an amazing engine configuration if executed properly.

BTW, manufacturers move away from the inline 6 motor and to the v6 because of the dimensions rather than any "clumsiness." A v6 motor can be considerably more compact, allowing for better/more efficient configuration of the engine bay, front crash structures, and cabin.
What I mean by clumsiness is the dimensional layout. it's not ideal for balance and low polar inertia . The BMW is a great example because they have make the whole front end out of aluminum and a magnesium block to get by the disadvantages where as a V engine can keep most of the weight over the front axle rather then in front of it. The main reason why I owned a BMW is because it was one of the last manufactures to keep with tradition of their inline 6 motor which I think is one of the best engines based on it's natural design but sadly not for it's implementation.

Last edited by Devh; 07-08-15 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-10-15, 09:41 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All valid points above guys, but electric motors? Not for me. Just go to you tube and search for any videos showing revving up of an Aston Martin V12 Vantage, that one that is a 6 speed manual - there is nothing like it. Even a SL-65 or a CL-65 with the right exhaust has a sound that no other engine can produce. And when it comes to cars, I like that sound. Super quiet is very nice too, but that's what the LS is for, maybe tesla. But I'd take a V12 over a tesla any day.