LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

A story and a question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-15, 07:54 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts
Default A story and a question

Greetings LS friends.

First the story. Thursday as I opened the garage, it only went up about an 1/8th of the way. I looked above the garage door and noticed the coil had popped. Since my wife was out and about already, when she arrived, I took her car to my appointment. Her 2014 Acura RDX is the perfect car for her. She loves the SUV, the smaller size fits her to a tee, and it's sporty. As I'm driving, I notice something I don't really ever hear while driving my LS, noise. I never realized just how quiet my car is until this trip. Even with the radio on (ok sports talk), you could still hear the clutter of sound. The LS460 is exceptionally quiet.

Ok now the question. While we are waiting for the coil to come in, the garage guy shows us an easy way to open the garage. Even with a broken coil, you push the button and physically help the door get past the stopping point and it finishes by itself. When I returned, I rolled down my window, got out of the car, reached in and pushed the garage button and helped the door up. I put the car in the garage, turned off the engine, closed the garage and went back up stairs to work. As usual, pulling into the darkish garage, my lights automatically come on. About 15 minutes later, my wife tells me they are still on. That's my question. Why didn't my lights turn off?
Old 06-27-15, 08:17 AM
Higgie
Pit Crew

Received 75 Likes on 46 Posts

I can't help you with your question, but my 09 LS 600h did the same two weeks ago.
It's still under warranty but i haven't noticed it since.
The last weeks i always look back to check the lights.
Btw, i have LED headlights, not Xenon. Not sure if this is relevant.
Old 06-27-15, 08:20 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

The most likely cause is a defective "doorjamb switch" on the driver's door. We have discussed that condition extensively in our forum. If you are unable to find the threads, let us know and we will try to steer you to that information.

Last edited by jmcraney; 06-27-15 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-27-15, 08:23 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by R Z
Greetings LS friends.

First the story. Thursday as I opened the garage, it only went up about an 1/8th of the way. I looked above the garage door and noticed the coil had popped. Since my wife was out and about already, when she arrived, I took her car to my appointment. Her 2014 Acura RDX is the perfect car for her. She loves the SUV, the smaller size fits her to a tee, and it's sporty. As I'm driving, I notice something I don't really ever hear while driving my LS, noise. I never realized just how quiet my car is until this trip. Even with the radio on (ok sports talk), you could still hear the clutter of sound. The LS460 is exceptionally quiet.

Ok now the question. While we are waiting for the coil to come in, the garage guy shows us an easy way to open the garage. Even with a broken coil, you push the button and physically help the door get past the stopping point and it finishes by itself. When I returned, I rolled down my window, got out of the car, reached in and pushed the garage button and helped the door up. I put the car in the garage, turned off the engine, closed the garage and went back up stairs to work. As usual, pulling into the darkish garage, my lights automatically come on. About 15 minutes later, my wife tells me they are still on. That's my question. Why didn't my lights turn off?
The time delay can be adjusted in personalized settings. It may be available on your nav screen. If not, then the Lexus dealer can check/adjust when you bring it in for trouble shooting. Or, if you have the Carista app, you can do it yourself.
Old 06-27-15, 08:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The time delay is never 15 minutes. Somethings wrong, likely a door jamb switch like jmcraney posted.
Old 06-27-15, 09:40 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Agreed: the timing for the "coming-home lights" is at most 90 seconds. 15 min means it's probably never going to turn off on its own. Are you sure the ignition was turned off completely? Maybe the car is still "on"...
Old 06-27-15, 09:57 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

LS 460 is extremely quiet and smooth. With your engine/ignition off and doors closed your lights should have turned off about 1 minute later. Maybe its just a glitch. Try it again and see they stay on for a long time. If so it could be your door jamb switch.
Old 06-27-15, 11:18 AM
derpie
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe locking the doors would help, works for me to cut off the lights.
Old 06-27-15, 11:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Another possibility, make sure all your locks are locking/unlocking when you lock the doors. My 2013 GS had this issue and it was a bad rear door lock actuator. When I would lock the doors that lock would not lock, so the system wouldn't arm...I discovered it because the lights didn't go out.
Old 06-28-15, 10:36 AM
mdpresco
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I had that happen to me. The switch was in AUTO and the lights did not go out. Next morning the battery was totally dead.

I checked the door jamb switch by gently depressing and releasing it while observing the door open indicator. The switch proved to be flakey. If I wiggled the button while pushed it, the "door open" indicator would momentarily indicate the door was open. I replaced the switch and solved that problem.

After having to jump start the car on that Sunday, I rarely leave the switch in AUTO unless I stay to watch the lights turn off.
Old 06-28-15, 01:39 PM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by mdpresco
I had that happen to me. The switch was in AUTO and the lights did not go out. Next morning the battery was totally dead.

I checked the door jamb switch by gently depressing and releasing it while observing the door open indicator. The switch proved to be flakey. If I wiggled the button while pushed it, the "door open" indicator would momentarily indicate the door was open. I replaced the switch and solved that problem.

After having to jump start the car on that Sunday, I rarely leave the switch in AUTO unless I stay to watch the lights turn off.
Sir,
The "auto switch" has nothing to do with extinguishing the headlights after the ignition is off.
Old 06-28-15, 02:15 PM
R Z
Pole Position

I have driven the car several times since the incident. No problems.
Old 06-28-15, 04:47 PM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by R Z
I have driven the car several times since the incident. No problems.
The condition that causes the headlights to remain on is kind of subtle. Even if the driver's doorjamb switch is defective, as long as there is a passenger who exits the car, or the driver opens and closes one of the passenger doors or the trunk, after the ignition is turned off, the headlights will not remain on. Defective doorjamb switches on the passenger doors only affect the auto relock inhibit.

Last edited by jmcraney; 06-28-15 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-29-15, 09:58 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I drive with all of my lights, on fogs and everything, all of the time. not only is it safer it looks better.

make sure that whenever you exit the car to hit the lock button twice and that should shut the lights off immediately.

If you do not use the remote simply hit the button on the door handle twice this will not turn off immediately, but it will insure that they turn off within about 30-60 seconds.

these are simply observations of mine and i have not timed anything so i may not be exact.
Old 06-30-15, 07:24 AM
R Z
Pole Position

When I get out of my car in the garage, I do not lock the doors. I still have yet to replicate the situation that caused the lights to remain on until I turned them off. I do keep the light switch on auto, but only that one time since I've had the car have the lights remained on. Because that particular time was a bit chaotic with having to manually raise the garage door, leaving the drivers door open, turning off the engine, closing the door and walking off, may have possibly contributed. Who knows.

Quick Reply: A story and a question