LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Best Rotors for My 2010 LS 460L

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-15, 09:14 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts
Default Best Rotors for My 2010 LS 460L

Getting ready to do a brake job all the way around and seeing most folks here don't think much of the Lexus OEM Rotors or the benefits of having them turned at least once (45 thousand miles) I thought I would just go ahead and replace them. I am looking for good quality not cool looking. I have all the other parts (Akebono Pads and Centric Hardware Kits) on the bench ready to go. Just need to get the Rotors now. Thoughts

Dennis
Old 06-26-15, 04:19 PM
cquence
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Getting ready to do a brake job all the way around and seeing most folks here don't think much of the Lexus OEM Rotors or the benefits of having them turned at least once (45 thousand miles) I thought I would just go ahead and replace them. I am looking for good quality not cool looking. I have all the other parts (Akebono Pads and Centric Hardware Kits) on the bench ready to go. Just need to get the Rotors now. Thoughts

Dennis
Hi Dennis,

I can provide you with some options and pricing. I can probably set you up with a packaged deal as well. Please let me know if you are interested and I will gladly assist you
Old 06-26-15, 05:03 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

I am looking for good quality not so much cheap quality rotors? I am looking for rotors that are above average, not so much OMG these are so great. I had honestly thought that I would just have the original Lexus OEM rotors turned in as much that I am just about to turn 45,000 miles and the car came off lease with 17,126 miles after a 36 month lease. However it seems that lots of folks here thing the Lexus rotors are total crap and nobody here thinks they are worth turning once. I either have no braking issues or I don't know what I am experiencing that is bad.

Dennis
Old 06-27-15, 01:52 PM
whitewhale
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotors Pads for 460L AWD

Hey folks I just picked up my "new" used LS460L AWD and am having a difficult time finding decent aftermarket rotors and pads. I have found some akebono pads for the rear but nothing around for the front. Please help... the only Lexus franchise in the Milwaukee WI area is very difficult to deal with and charges more than I am willing to pay for, from what I have read, rotors and pads that are less than desirable for the $$$$ help please!
Old 06-27-15, 02:08 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Default I got all mine on Amazon

whitewhale

You did not indicate the year of your LS 460L AWD? I got both my Akebono pads and my Centric hardware kits for both front and rear on Amazon for my 2010 LS 460L RWD

Dennis
Old 06-27-15, 02:13 PM
whitewhale
Driver School Candidate

Sorry about that- it is a 2010 LS460L AWD. I'll check amazon... seems that parts stores around here do not have much for this model
Old 06-28-15, 06:19 PM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I too have had the same question for a while but I have been unable to find a consensus on aftermarket rotors (unlike how there is general consensus on aftermarket pads with Akebono). Based on my research I am staying clear of drilled or slotted rotors. I have not found well rated options on Ebay or Amazon for "blanks".

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-28-15 at 07:16 PM. Reason: quoted issue dealt with and removed
Old 06-28-15, 08:38 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Centric blanks or Stoptech/Centric slotted. Centric makes Stoptech products
Old 06-29-15, 06:17 AM
konradl
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've replaced my front brakes with EBC Ultimax slotted rotors and Akebono pads and I highly recommend that setup. The rotors are a bit pricey, around $325 for the set new, but was lucky enough to find an open box deal for 125.
I've had EBC rotors on my Z06 as well as I tend to warp regular rotors after some 'spirited' driving. However, these hold up great and don't fade. Therefore this recommendation is based my experience.
Old 06-29-15, 07:08 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by wayman28
I too have had the same question for a while but I have been unable to find a consensus on aftermarket rotors (unlike how there is general consensus on aftermarket pads with Akebono). Based on my research I am staying clear of drilled or slotted rotors. I have not found well rated options on Ebay or Amazon for "blanks".
Get a good set of premium blanks from Napa. Napa usual sells two different types of rotors, the premium get cooled at a slow rate so they are resistant to warping where as the cheaper version doesn't go though the process. I have used the cheaper versions three times on other cars without any warping and I imagine the premium would be much better.

Skip on the slotted rotors because they accelerate pad wear and they have been known to cause bedding issues for street driven cars.
Old 06-29-15, 09:37 AM
whitewhale
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the help everybody. Looks like my local NAPA store has the ability to order rotors that are similar but "better" than the ones from Lexus. Probably will be ordering those and akebono pads. OR... Should I get the premium pads from NAPA? City driving in Milwaukee WI can get a bit hairy- lots of people not paying attention and slamming on the binders last second to see what is going on when people are pulled over.... Thank you again, folks!
Old 06-29-15, 10:57 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by whitewhale
Thank you for the help everybody. Looks like my local NAPA store has the ability to order rotors that are similar but "better" than the ones from Lexus. Probably will be ordering those and akebono pads. OR... Should I get the premium pads from NAPA? City driving in Milwaukee WI can get a bit hairy- lots of people not paying attention and slamming on the binders last second to see what is going on when people are pulled over.... Thank you again, folks!
From my experience Napa has been more expensive then the other chain stores however they generally only supply high quality parts. I would trust their premium pads as well. Your brakes are only as good as your tires and having normal pads stop better cold then performance pads which need repeated braking before they work.
As far as your problem with people rubber necking just make sure you are not following so close and look far ahead for traffic behavior rather then only focusing on the car in front of you. Giving yourself plenty of room to brake is a better way of defensive driving then having to slam your brakes.
Old 06-29-15, 11:12 AM
whitewhale
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the reply........ I'm about as defensive as they come, but our interchanges here are always under construction- Milwaukee is going through some huge changes on the interstate bypasses and such. Some people do 90 and others do 50- so it is a bit frustrating to drive in this city (and I am stuck trying to mitigate between the folks and their driving style). The only solace for me is that I get to drive around in a nice comfortable car. I appreciate your feedback on the actual pads to buy.... It does get cold here so I will look into the correct pads to use on the car- I used Akebono on a Sierra 2500 that I use to tow a 8000lb boat in the summer and plow snow in the winter- they are awesome with almost zero fade and really responsive. Thanks all!
Old 06-29-15, 11:40 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by whitewhale
Thank you for the reply........ I'm about as defensive as they come, but our interchanges here are always under construction- Milwaukee is going through some huge changes on the interstate bypasses and such. Some people do 90 and others do 50- so it is a bit frustrating to drive in this city (and I am stuck trying to mitigate between the folks and their driving style). The only solace for me is that I get to drive around in a nice comfortable car. I appreciate your feedback on the actual pads to buy.... It does get cold here so I will look into the correct pads to use on the car- I used Akebono on a Sierra 2500 that I use to tow a 8000lb boat in the summer and plow snow in the winter- they are awesome with almost zero fade and really responsive. Thanks all!
What I meant by cold is the first initial use of the brakes. For the street there is a very long interval between using the brakes hand having them cool down that is why you want regular pads because they start working on the spot. Performance pads need to be heated up repeatedly before they come alive but before that happens they are not that great on their initial bite and in some cases exhibit a degree of fade which is not what you want. For the street your tires make the biggest difference for braking.
Old 06-29-15, 12:03 PM
whitewhale
Driver School Candidate

Yeah that makes sense.... I usually replace tires when they are just below half- and always pick one of the better ones available. Right now I have Continental "pure contact with ecoplus technonlgy" . Not super happy with them, they came with the car and have only the miles I have driven on them (just over 1000 miles on them and seem to be a "louder" driving tire) so I will be on these for awhile (have had similar on a GS300 SportDesign and never good tread life in my experience). I asked Safro Lexus if they would put different ones on when I purchased the car about a month ago- they said these were some of the best tires available for the car. I tend to agree, but I am a fairly conservative driver and have zero use for this performance tire. I'm probably just too picky though! Thanks for all of your feedback

Quick Reply: Best Rotors for My 2010 LS 460L