LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Paint discoloration

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-15, 10:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Thats not something any reputable body shop would do to any panel, certainly not a body panel like a hood, or fender, etc. Theres a difference between a spot bumper fix for instance and something like this.
Old 06-22-15, 10:26 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't think anyone will know until it is looked at by a pro. A pro is not your cheap detailer but a person who is well educated in paint correction. You will find people with these skills at body shops or high end detialing service.

When using rubbing compound with machine polishing it can burn paint very easily especially with a rotary polisher as SW15LS stated.

It is very possible that the rubbing compound has left 2500 grit scratches behind which looks like a loss of gloss with a demarcation of color around the area. In order to get it to look like the rest of the panel it will need a denigrating polishing compound to burnish in the gloss to match the rest of the panel.

Last edited by Devh; 06-22-15 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-22-15, 10:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Devh
I
It is very possible that the rubbing compound has left behind 2500 grit scratches behind which looks like a loss of gloss with a demarcation of color around the area. In order to get it to look like the rest of the panel it will need a denigrating polishing compound to burnish in the gloss to match the rest of the panel.
I've seen that many times, it doesn't look like that. Thats 100% textbook burn through clear coat failure. Note that the paint inside the discoloration is glossy...its not dulled as it would be with sanding marks that can be polished out.
Old 06-22-15, 10:32 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I've seen that many times, it doesn't look like that. Thats 100% textbook burn through clear coat failure. Note that the paint inside the discoloration is glossy...its not dulled as it would be with sanding marks that can be polished out.
I think you are correct. There is no dulling or haze.
Old 06-23-15, 08:08 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Thats not something any reputable body shop would do to any panel
I think a reputable shop will do whatever the customer demands with the understanding that there will be no promise of the outcome or warranty. My point was simply that many consumers will do it this way in order to save money, sell the car quickly (ie used car lots), etc.
Old 06-23-15, 12:20 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Looks like the entire panel may need repainting.
Old 06-23-15, 01:12 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

How to do a spot repair.
Old 06-25-15, 11:32 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
No sir. If I was the Lex owner that'd be my answer.

That method you saw in the video, can be applied to your lawn mower, bicycle, maybe scooter. And sometimes maybe to your work truck that you don't really care about the condition of it's paint.

Doing this on the LS is not a good idea, it will never come out looking good. Hence why the person in the video didn't do an up close shot of the door.

Take it to a good body shop. They will respray the whole door, clear it, and hopefully no need to blend in to the surrounding areas.
A good body shop will never do the method that we saw in the video. They will want to live to their name and not push out such a horrible mess.
Old 06-26-15, 02:34 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

A body shop that paints any panel will do a full blend ruining the factory paint job, period. To paint just the hood most always requires them to paint both front doors, and both front fenders to do their stupid blend. I know I have a car that has had that done. And if you know what your looking at you can spot a non lexus paint job a mile away, I sure can. Most always there are sand scratches and or unblended rock divits, non consistent spray etc. There is probably only a select handful of "Good body shops" Likely in the world. There are "Good painters" that can spot to factory perfection. And way better than non factory sub standard paint on the whole panel.
Old 06-26-15, 10:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dicer
A body shop that paints any panel will do a full blend ruining the factory paint job, period. To paint just the hood most always requires them to paint both front doors, and both front fenders to do their stupid blend. I know I have a car that has had that done. And if you know what your looking at you can spot a non lexus paint job a mile away, I sure can. Most always there are sand scratches and or unblended rock divits, non consistent spray etc. There is probably only a select handful of "Good body shops" Likely in the world. There are "Good painters" that can spot to factory perfection. And way better than non factory sub standard paint on the whole panel.
You don't understand how bodywork works.

Nobody would color coat that entire panel for that damage. They would sand down the panel, color coat the affected area, blend that into the remaining panel and then clear coat the entire panel. You would only completely repaint a panel if that panel was replaced.

It is 100% possible to paint the hood and not have to paint the doors or fenders. You need to see the work of some good body shops.

A spot repair like that where the whole panel is not sanded and clear coated is an amateur parking lot hack job.
Old 06-26-15, 01:02 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Definitely burned through the clear.

You could probably clear coat that small area yourself , and then wetsand and buff the whole panel with a much less aggressive method and it would be a big improvement.

You will probably stil see the halo of that circle area where you burned through, but it would probably go away by 80-90%.

If you want ti done perfectly it needs to be taken to a pro.
Old 07-02-15, 08:38 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You don't understand how bodywork works.

Nobody would color coat that entire panel for that damage. They would sand down the panel, color coat the affected area, blend that into the remaining panel and then clear coat the entire panel. You would only completely repaint a panel if that panel was replaced.

It is 100% possible to paint the hood and not have to paint the doors or fenders. You need to see the work of some good body shops.

A spot repair like that where the whole panel is not sanded and clear coated is an amateur parking lot hack job.
I do know I have done some of it. And I agree with what you say, and that is the right way to do it.
And yes only a good shop. Like I say all I have seen is junk jobs from the average junk shop.
Though I have seen a spot repair that didn't have a total panel clear coat and it looked real good.
Every LS car I have has had a panel or 2 painted by some idiot.
Old 07-03-15, 10:10 AM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
Why did you use rubbing compound?
Rubbing compound can be too aggressive and remove gloss from a highly polished surface. It can also damage paint if you are not careful.
You may need polishing compound to buff it back to the original gloss. At this point in time I wouldn't touch it and take the car to a detailing professional before you do anymore damage.
THIS! take it to a Good Body Shop you can Trust! Can't tell for Sure but it looks like it may already have gone thru the clear coat! If so, that's Not Good! Let us know how it turns out! GL!