LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Tint advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-15, 05:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

What has your experience been with the rear defroster lines and HO? You can see a little light bend around them, my assumption is it will always be that way.
Old 06-16-15, 06:15 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
What has your experience been with the rear defroster lines and HO? You can see a little light bend around them, my assumption is it will always be that way.
My two layer film has no light bend at the rear defroster wires. I think I recall there maybe being some before it cured, but I cannot say for sure. If so, I just knew from experience that it would go away as it cured.

When your film fully cures you should not be able to see any clue whatsoever that your glass has film...except for a tiny 1/32" area at the top of the side windows when the windows are rolled partially down. The film should suck-up tight and smooth (as glass) to the window glass as the liquid evaporates from between the film and glass during the curing process. There should be no waviness, no bubbles, no orange peel, no imperfections whatsoever when fully cured.
Old 06-16-15, 06:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats what I will look for once its done then.

I was surprised by how quickly the fronts got that way, the rear still needs some time. I'll try to park it outside tomorrow at work.
Old 06-16-15, 06:35 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Thats what I will look for once its done then.

I was surprised by how quickly the fronts got that way, the rear still needs some time. I'll try to park it outside tomorrow at work.
As good as the fronts look right now, they'll look even better as the days roll by to full cure.
Old 06-16-15, 06:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm sure. I'm looking forward to seeing it in different sorts of light too. I may go take a quick spin in it now to see how I like it at night.
Old 06-16-15, 06:57 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I'm sure. I'm looking forward to seeing it in different sorts of light too. I may go take a quick spin in it now to see how I like it at night.
Yeah, night driving can take a bit of 'getting used to' depending on the percentage of VLT% change you made by adding window tint film. I suspect the Lexus factory glass tint is around 5% to 10% so by you adding 35% film that should take the VLT% down to around 30% to 25%.

Did your installer put a compliance label on your driver's side window (under the tint film) that says it complies with your state's window tint laws? In Texas the tint installers must put a tiny clear compliance label between the glass and the tint film on the lower part of the driver's window near the door handle that states the window tint complies with Texas State Tint laws - “Complies with TTC 547.613 (b)”. If your vehicle has this label the police/HP will automatically know without question that the tint complies.

I see that in the state of Maryland you must allow more than 35% of light transmission in through the combination of film and the window. I don't know the exact VLT% of your 35% film nor the VLT% of the Lexus glass, but I'm guessing what you had installed may be over the state restriction limit for your state. Did your installer say anything about this to you? Unless Maryland uses a compliance label (like Texas does) your authorities (police/HP, etc.) could use a hand-carried tint meter to determine whether your window tint complies. (In the state of Texas the fine is $1,000 for having non-complying tint (less than 25% VLT window tint on the front sides). The rear sides and back window in Texas has no restrictions.)

State Window Tint Laws

Last edited by bclexus; 06-16-15 at 07:39 PM.
Old 06-16-15, 08:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Default Tint advice needed

They aren't legal. The OEM Tint I believe is 95%, so they're like high 20s-30. The only way they will install that label and declare them legal is if you do 50% since the amount of OEM tint varies. Even HD I done 45 they wouldn't have certified them legal.

We'll just hope that it's an otherwise unmodified LS and that won't draw any attention.
Old 06-17-15, 10:55 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

They aren't legal. The OEM Tint I believe is 95%, so they're like high 20s-30. The only way they will install that label and declare them legal is if you do 50% since the amount of OEM tint varies. Even HD I done 45 they wouldn't have certified them legal.

We'll just hope that it's an otherwise unmodified LS and that won't draw any attention.
You should be okay. Just don't slam it down and add orange wheels and purple ground lights.
Old 06-17-15, 10:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'll try to resist the urge!
Old 06-17-15, 11:34 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Yeah we don't have as many options as in "sunnier" places. That's their standard pricing, I, going to talk to a few other places.

What tint do you have on your 460 in your sig pic Tee?
PanaFlex 20% ceramic all around, 70% windshield and double 5% strip across windshield.

Sorry for the late reply. Looks like you tinted your car and achieve the look you wanted and you can't beat that!
Old 06-17-15, 11:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting thing I noticed, wanted to get your thoughts on it.

The front windows and the back windows seem to have a slightly different tint to them. The front windows when they are reflective have a grey, bluish hue to them, while the rear windows have a browner, greener hue. I noticed it today when walking up to the car in a parking lot, its really overcast today. From inside even, the front two and the back two are slightly different. Looking through the front is cooler, bluer, and looking through the back is warmer, browner.

The front are bubble free, and the back are getting there but still have some bubbles, lumpiness. I noticed when they were tinting it one guy was doing the front and one was doing the back. Is it possible that they used different rolls of film or something?
Old 06-17-15, 12:19 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

The front are bubble free, and the back are getting there but still have some bubbles, lumpiness. I noticed when they were tinting it one guy was doing the front and one was doing the back. Is it possible that they used different rolls of film or something?
They should have used film from the same lot code for the entire car (unless the car was to have more than one VLT% film installed) - so I doubt seriously the installer used film from different rolls or lot codes.

I'm guessing the guy that did the fronts used a bit more pressure on his squeegee to remove more solution compared to the guy doing the rear. It's no big deal because the film will adhere to the glass just like it was part of it.
Old 06-17-15, 12:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Here are some pictures, we'll see if it comes out in pictures. See if you think it looks like the reflection is more silvery blue in the front and greener in the back. These are taken in my office parking garage under discharge lights

Driver Front:

Driver Rear:

Passenger Front:

Passenger Rear:

Center:

Can you see that? Am I crazy?

Would the guy in the back pressing more lightly cause the film to look a different shade?
Old 06-17-15, 01:05 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Here are some pictures, we'll see if it comes out in pictures. See if you think it looks like the reflection is more silvery blue in the front and greener in the back. These are taken in my office parking garage under discharge lights

Can you see that? Am I crazy?

Would the guy in the back pressing more lightly cause the film to look a different shade?
I really can't say I see it, but these images are nothing like seeing it in-person in natural light. I am sure the amount of pressure the installer used (fronts vs rear) had nothing to do with the color difference you 'might' be seeing. I would be very surprised if your installer used different film rolls with different lot codes...and even if that did happen Huper Optik has extremely tight specifications where I doubt seriously you could see any difference between rolls with different lot codes. For whatever it's worth, Huper Optiks' residential and commercial window films must be 'dead on' spec-wise when doing a large house or office building because those jobs will take numerous rolls that will likely be from different lot codes.

Possibly to learn why you are seeing different color hues (if indeed you really are) I would be more interested in knowing if Lexus uses a slightly different glass color and/or tint VLT% on the fronts versus the rear. Maybe one of the guys with a newer LS can weigh in...or maybe you can visit your Lexus dealership and do some detective work.
Old 06-17-15, 01:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The fronts are laminated double paned glass...I bet that's the reason. Only the LS460L gets laminated rear glass.

I'll try and take better pics of the whole car in a parking lot to compare. Of course it's raining now...

Quick Reply: Tint advice needed