LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Taking a plunge for the 2008 ls460

Old 06-01-15, 03:56 AM
ttedster10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking a plunge for the 2008 ls460

Hey Guys,

Will be my first lexus, i undertsand that it will be a relatively aged 2008 ls460 but the previous owners have kept it in tip top shape.

is there any thing that i should be kept aware of the ls460 before purchasing?

Looking forward to all the help and thanks in advance.
Old 06-01-15, 04:26 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Het ttedster10, welcome to Club Lexus! You are plunging into a great vehicle!

At the top of this forum there is a sticky titled LS 460 FAQ and DIY, scroll through the thread titles and you will find lots of good reading, such as this one -

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ml#post8075286

Don't forget to post some pics.
Old 06-01-15, 07:08 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Welcome. I took took the plunge on an 08 and love every minute of it. You should certainly head over to the Lexus Drivers site and enter the VIN. Make sure the reports are positive and regular maintenance has been done. Also look to see if all recalls have been performed. The key things mentioned here about the car are the brake sounds, control arms, wind noise, and a few odds and ends.

If at all possible I recommend the car have the Levinson sound. It makes a difference. Otherwise, if the mileage is reasonable and the price is good, go for it. Keep in mind it's an 08. Have a rainy day fund put aside for repairs.

Good luck!
Old 06-01-15, 08:14 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I too have an '08 that has nearly 90k miles on it. Only issues have been a new battery last year as well as a water pump and mufflers. Total repair costs of about 600 bucks. Best car I've owned (and believe me, I've had MANY).
Old 06-01-15, 09:18 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm first in line to buy Chris's 08 LS460 hehe...

ttedster10, seriously these are great vehicles. They are over-engineered in many ways, my LS460 with >100k miles still drives as smooth and quiet as on day 1. Key issues usually revolve around
- Control arms/front suspension (it seems to be a prevalent issue, though far from being a common issue)
- Brake actuators (usually defined by a clicking noise when you depress the brakes)

The rest is pretty random and not very common, and your cost of ownership on your 08 should very drastically lower than other comparable vehicles (i.e. 7 series, Chris's favorite car in the whole world).
Old 06-01-15, 10:06 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

'm first in line to buy Chris's 08 LS460 hehe...
Out of my cold dead hands, Wandl. Out of my cold dead hands....

i.e. 7 series, Chris's favorite car in the whole world).
Not funny, as I am still in therapy.
Old 06-01-15, 07:20 PM
ttedster10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys. You bunch are the best.

Looking forward to being part of the community but first let me go buy that ls460.
Old 06-01-15, 07:51 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I too have an '08 that has nearly 90k miles on it. Only issues have been a new battery last year as well as a water pump and mufflers. Total repair costs of about 600 bucks. Best car I've owned (and believe me, I've had MANY).
Were you able to rectify the engine issues you've had ? Loss of power, stuttering and the loss of oil ?

To the OP im very set on getting a 460 as well, just waiting for the right one to come my way.

First thing is make sure all of the recalls have been done, there have been valve issues on the early models, not exactly sure what years check with the dealer.

I think theres a fuel recall now of some sort, and a few other things, the dealer will repair these for free for you so don't worry.

If all that is in place just make sure you buy it from a responsible owner with good maintenance history, you should be good to go
Old 06-04-15, 07:56 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
First thing is make sure all of the recalls have been done, there have been valve issues on the early models, not exactly sure what years check with the dealer.

I think theres a fuel recall now of some sort, and a few other things, the dealer will repair these for free for you so don't worry.

If all that is in place just make sure you buy it from a responsible owner with good maintenance history, you should be good to go
You will find by checking the Lexus Drivers site that most every LS has had all necessary recalls performed. My 08, while not a perfect car, had everything done including my taking the car for the fuel issue. I really enjoyed my 05 LS430. I LOVE my LS460. I'm not concerned about all the comments posted about this problem and that problem. I just go out and enjoy driving the car. While I don't put that many miles on, there hasn't been one day that I didn't smile the minute I sat inside. It's just that damn good!
Old 06-04-15, 12:46 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

If the previous owners kept the LS in tip top shape and all the maintenance/recalls/no accidents, then take plunge. The LS is a beautiful and reliable automobile you will love to drive and own.
Old 06-04-15, 06:46 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Were you able to rectify the engine issues you've had ? Loss of power, stuttering and the loss of oil ?
Don't know how I missed this. Yes, for the most part. Certainly the hesitation/stuttering is gone and the oil consumption is going down as well. 12k miles of driving bliss now. As I stated in the "other" thread, proper oil was the culprit.
Old 06-04-15, 07:09 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by R Z
You will find by checking the Lexus Drivers site that most every LS has had all necessary recalls performed. My 08, while not a perfect car, had everything done including my taking the car for the fuel issue. I really enjoyed my 05 LS430. I LOVE my LS460. I'm not concerned about all the comments posted about this problem and that problem. I just go out and enjoy driving the car. While I don't put that many miles on, there hasn't been one day that I didn't smile the minute I sat inside. It's just that damn good!
I agree , for the most part every 460 ive ionquired about has been in for the recalls, I still think its something a prospective buyer should be mindful of though.

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Don't know how I missed this. Yes, for the most part. Certainly the hesitation/stuttering is gone and the oil consumption is going down as well. 12k miles of driving bliss now. As I stated in the "other" thread, proper oil was the culprit.
that's great man , glad to hear it
Old 06-04-15, 08:08 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
I agree , for the most part every 460 ive ionquired about has been in for the recalls, I still think its something a prospective buyer should be mindful of though.

that's great man , glad to hear it
Yep, pretty happy. I mean it was always "driving bliss", but that first few hundred miles of driving after an oil change was like walking n eggshells. Not sure if you saw my Blackstone Labs oil report, but my engine is happy. Still not sure where the quart per 3k miles is going but it's well below what's considered normal by Lexus. It's certainly not the engine that's consuming it, and there's no leak that I can see. Maybe when I get the recall done, I'll have them look for one. Perhaps it's leaking onto a manifold or exhaust, but I think I'd smell it.
Old 06-06-15, 04:38 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Good choice going with the LS460, I drive mine 600 miles a week and every time time I pull the thing into my garage I say...god damn I love this car.

I know some also love the LS430, but I think the things are just plain ugly. I saw one pull into a parking lot the other day and I had to check my watch to see if it still worked, that's how ugly the thing was up close. It's like someone took a baseball bat to a teenage mutant ninja turtle's face and just pushed it in. And the best part is that the LS460 just may be as reliable as its ugly step sister.
Old 06-06-15, 05:30 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Good choice going with the LS460, I drive mine 600 miles a week and every time time I pull the thing into my garage I say...god damn I love this car.

I know some also love the LS430, but I think the things are just plain ugly. I saw one pull into a parking lot the other day and I had to check my watch to see if it still worked, that's how ugly the thing was up close. It's like someone took a baseball bat to a teenage mutant ninja turtle's face and just pushed it in. And the best part is that the LS460 just may be as reliable as its ugly step sister.
Such harsh words Double...
I must admit though, I've never seen one up close, only in passing, and from that viewpoint, not to ruffle feathers, they aren't the most appealing vehicles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Taking a plunge for the 2008 ls460