LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Checking the abs and control arms for any issues?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-15, 01:47 PM
ShamanLS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CRowe14
The engine cover(s), plural, as there are 5 pieces, are all easy to remove, however, the push pins that hold the covers in place are disposable, meaning that more times than not, once you remove them, they wont be able to be used again to hold the covers in place once you put them back on.
They are cheap, as there are a few members, including myself that recently purchased about 30 of them for less than $5, but the guy selling the car may have an issue with you doing such, as the covers wont stay in place.
Try removing the pins slowly so that you can try to salvage as many as possible.
In order to see the basin, as well as if the water pump is leaking, you'll need to remove the two front black covers that sit between the front/grill of the car and the silver cover.
You will see the basin with pink coolant and the water pump is located behind the drive belt area.
If its leaking, you'll be able to see a crusted pink residue (dried up coolant) leaking from beneath the pump.
If it is leaking, if you are DIY inclined, the repair isn't difficult at all, as Roadfrog has done his and practically walked me through the process to replace it.
An indy shop may charge $300-$400 maybe and Lexus near me, wanted over $900.
I purchased my part off line for about $55 bucks, 2 gallon of coolant-about $42 bucks and I replaced my lower rad hose $11 bucks. You do the math!!

So much work

I hope that the mechanic will take care of these stuff
Old 06-05-15, 01:48 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

The pins never break on me, so I wonder if people are removing them properly. To remove the pins, you simply depress the center tab and then remove with your finger tip. To reinstall them, push the center pins back up all the way , place them in the hole and then push the center pin back down and flush to lock.

That said, I HAVE lost more than a few by accidentally dropping them in the crevices of my engine. I think there''s probably 10 of them in there somewhere. LOL
Old 06-05-15, 04:31 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
The pins never break on me, so I wonder if people are removing them properly. To remove the pins, you simply depress the center tab and then remove with your finger tip. To reinstall them, push the center pins back up all the way , place them in the hole and then push the center pin back down and flush to lock.

That said, I HAVE lost more than a few by accidentally dropping them in the crevices of my engine. I think there''s probably 10 of them in there somewhere. LOL
Hey, you wouldn't have accidentally dropped one in the spark plug cavity while you were doing your plugs, would you??
Let me stop!
I'd like to add that once again, Roadfrog is correct regarding the proper way to remove the pins.
I think for me, alot of mine were already damaged bc they are easy to remove but many of mine were a bit messed up when trying to reuse them.
OP, it's not nearly as much work as it sounds.
But if I were you, I'd check, as you are considering buying this vehicle.

Last edited by CRowe14; 06-05-15 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-05-15, 05:25 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Hey, you wouldn't have accidentally dropped one in the spark plug cavity while you were doing your plugs, would you??
Let me stop!
LOL. Good point.
Old 06-05-15, 10:36 PM
ShamanLS
Rookie

Becareful from the spark plug cavity :P

So the guy was saying that from 0 to 60000km the maintenance was done in the agency. Then after that, it was all done in very big garage

I called the agency and the garage and I confirmed what he said

All what is left is the mechanic check. I hope everything goes well
Old 06-08-15, 12:37 PM
ShamanLS
Rookie

Finally bought the car

Thanks everyone for your great support
Old 06-09-15, 09:09 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ShamanLS
Finally bought the car

Thanks everyone for your great support

Congrats buddy!
Excellent and welcome to the family!
Now, I shouldn't have to tell you, but I will:
The following steps must be taken to affirm your induction on into the "Club Lexus LS460 Family"
Locate your nearest photographic device; mobile phone or stand alone camera.
Park you vehicle in a desired position and location.
Proceed to take photos of the exterior (interior is optional).
Retreat to your desktop/laptop, go to CL, sign in, start a new thread and upload your photos!
Old 06-09-15, 09:16 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Proceed to take photos of the exterior (interior is optional).
Well actually, if you look at section 23.1 (b) under the LS460 New Ownership Rules, here at CL, it states, "When submitting pics of your new whip, pictures submitted SHALL include at least one pic of the interior."

Sorry but you must comply.
Old 06-09-15, 11:11 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Well actually, if you look at section 23.1 (b) under the LS460 New Ownership Rules, here at CL, it states, "When submitting pics of your new whip, pictures submitted SHALL include at least one pic of the interior."

Sorry but you must comply.
I have been schooled once again by my fellow forum companion, Roadfrog, as I seem to have forgotten that section of the Rules of Ownership here at CL.
After a review of the document, in section 23.1 (b), it does clearly state that at least one interior photo is required.
My apologies for the wrong information, however, let this serve as another fantastic example (members looking out for other members) of the brotherhood we all have here at CL.
And indeed, you must comply.