LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Latest Blackstone Labs Oil Report May 2015

Old 05-31-15, 09:55 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by satiger
Roadfrog (Chris!), thanks for sharing the oil analysis. If you haven't noticed, your address, phone numbers are unmasked on the attached pdf.

How many miles on the engine?. Engine oil consumption happens as it ages however there is a formula Toyota issued as to how much oil consumption is allowed based on miles/type of engine. If I can find that service bulletin, will share is here. If you have < 100k miles and have to top off 2 quarts every 5k miles, I believe it may not be the normal range. Did you discuss this with trusted service advisor at Lexus/Toyota?. Just for peace of mind, you even can call Lexus 1 800 ask the question (will be transferred to second level support).

Just for the reference, I don't (no need to) top off on my 245k miles ES nor 135k miles GX. Used Toyota/Lexus oil changes up to around 100k miles and then switched to Mobile 1 High mileage full synthetic.
I have about 89k miles on my engine.

According to the Lexus owner's manual, they consider 1 qt per 600 miles as "normal" consumption depending on driving conditions, regardless of how many miles are on the engine. I recall reading a post/thread where Lexus would not conduct a consumption test under warranty, unless that condition was met.

This from the Lexus owner's manual:

■Engine oil consumption
●The amount of engine oil consumed depends on the oil viscosity, the quality of
the oil and the way the vehicle is driven.
●More oil is consumed under driving conditions such as high speeds and frequent
acceleration and deceleration.
●A new engine consumes more oil.
●When judging the amount of oil consumption, keep in mind that the oil may
have become diluted, making it difficult to judge the true level accurately.
●Oil consumption: Max. 1.1 qt./600 miles (0.9 Imp. qt./600 miles, 1.0 L/1000
km)
●If your vehicle consumes more than 1.1 qt. (1.0 L, 0.9 Imp. qt.) every 600 miles
(1000 km), contact your Lexus dealer.

■After changing the engine oil (U.S.A. only)
Old 05-31-15, 02:34 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Devh
I think I possibly know why the moly is higher in the first sample. It looks like there were 3 quarts added on the earlier interval vs the latest sample and depending on when it was added before the sample was taken the moly would have been replenished.

Roadfrog I noticed that you did not get the TBN done. I think that would be one of the more important values in predicting how long we can go on this oil.
Although the info is 5 years old, here's a TBN on the TGMO 0W20:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...0_SN_VOA_with_
Old 05-31-15, 03:24 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Although the info is 5 years old, here's a TBN on the TGMO 0W20:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...0_SN_VOA_with_
I have seen that thread before and it's for a virgin analysis. What we need to see is where the TBN is at on the used oil. This is so we can predict how much longer you can run on this oil. If the TBN is low then we know the oil is not good for it's 10k run.
One thing i do see is the the base oil is holding up really well viscosity wise so it could be our engines are not hard on oil.
Old 05-31-15, 04:25 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I have seen that thread before and it's for a virgin analysis. What we need to see is where the TBN is at on the used oil. This is so we can predict how much longer you can run on this oil. If the TBN is low then we know the oil is not good for it's 10k run.
One thing i do see is the the base oil is holding up really well viscosity wise so it could be our engines are not hard on oil.
I believe the rather large sump our cars have lends to an easier oil life. I would also tend to think that the PCV system is well designed. Also the engine gets up to temp rather quickly do to it's aluminum design, which probably helps in reducing moisture and sludge. I'd probably venture to guess that the piston ring technology is top notch and doesn't experience much blow by or oil burning. I've seen some engines with bad oil rings just ruin everything...EGR system, intakes covered in carbon, O2 sensors destroyed, cats damaged, IAC motors clogged, throttle plates sticking, misfires, bad plugs, codes, on and on.

I love the engine in the LS.
Old 05-31-15, 05:05 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I've seen some engines with bad oil rings just ruin everything...EGR system, intakes covered in carbon, O2 sensors destroyed, cats damaged, IAC motors clogged, throttle plates sticking, misfires, bad plugs, codes, on and on.
ie; My previous BMW 7 series with 50k miles on it. Sigh.
Old 06-01-15, 05:44 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I believe the rather large sump our cars have lends to an easier oil life. I would also tend to think that the PCV system is well designed. Also the engine gets up to temp rather quickly do to it's aluminum design, which probably helps in reducing moisture and sludge. I'd probably venture to guess that the piston ring technology is top notch and doesn't experience much blow by or oil burning. I've seen some engines with bad oil rings just ruin everything...EGR system, intakes covered in carbon, O2 sensors destroyed, cats damaged, IAC motors clogged, throttle plates sticking, misfires, bad plugs, codes, on and on.

I love the engine in the LS.
The days of EGR are behind us thanks to VVT. The rational for having a nine quart sump could be (and I'm just guessing here) for the standardization for the product line which is meant for Truck and SUV operation to prevent oil starvation on inclines. Why design a smaller sump for this application when you don't have to unless this engine is hard on oil. The sump is the same size as many of the European cars that call for 15k oil changes. Toyota's oil change interval of 10k miles might be arbitrary. The only way we will know that is to see the TBN at 10k miles then it will give us a good idea. What this ultimately means is that we can all comfortably go 10k with plenty of room to spare.

Last edited by Devh; 06-01-15 at 05:47 AM.
Old 06-01-15, 06:07 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Your report has the incorrect engine, it should be 1UR-FSE, unless you swapped engines with a Tundra☺ - this should only affect the Universal Averages column.
Thanks for catching that. I sent them the info and they updated the results, but as they said in their reply, the engines are nearly identical and the numbers were as well. The only thing they added, was that the universal averages are based on 5900 miles.
Old 06-01-15, 06:24 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

The days of EGR are behind us thanks to VVT. The rational for having a nine quart sump could be (and I'm just guessing here) for the standardization for the product line which is meant for Truck and SUV operation to prevent oil starvation on inclines. Why design a smaller sump for this application when you don't have to unless this engine is hard on oil. The sump is the same size as many of the European cars that call for 15k oil changes. Toyota's oil change interval of 10k miles might be arbitrary. The only way we will know that is to see the TBN at 10k miles then it will give us a good idea. What this ultimately means is that we can all comfortably go 10k with plenty of room to spare.
Yes it's nice to see EGR systems fazed out with the ability to draw exhaust gas back into the cylinder through the intake stroke, but then again VVT sytems haven't exactly been trouble free either.

As for the sump, I'd hope they didn't standardize the sump just because of the trucks and suv's...that would mean a lot of wasted oil/resources, just to save the manufacturer a few bucks on sump design.

There are calculators out there on how long you should be able to go on your oil based off of the amount of oil your engine requires. The theory is that if you take one oil molecule and factor in how often it will have to flow through the pump and bearings, compared to an oil molecule in a smaller sump (less oil), the wear on that oil should be less. I'm not sure if I completely buy that, but it does make some sense. Fewer trips through the bearings=less wear.
Old 06-02-15, 08:50 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Yes it's nice to see EGR systems fazed out with the ability to draw exhaust gas back into the cylinder through the intake stroke, but then again VVT sytems haven't exactly been trouble free either.

As for the sump, I'd hope they didn't standardize the sump just because of the trucks and suv's...that would mean a lot of wasted oil/resources, just to save the manufacturer a few bucks on sump design.

There are calculators out there on how long you should be able to go on your oil based off of the amount of oil your engine requires. The theory is that if you take one oil molecule and factor in how often it will have to flow through the pump and bearings, compared to an oil molecule in a smaller sump (less oil), the wear on that oil should be less. I'm not sure if I completely buy that, but it does make some sense. Fewer trips through the bearings=less wear.
You might find then hard to believe but VVT for the most part has been extremely reliable. There are a few cases of VVT solenoids going bad but for the most part it's pretty reliable technology that has proven it's self over the last 20 years.

The sump may have been standardized because there was no drawback except for the addition of more oil which is actually a good thing but not so much on the wallet. This engine has dry sump capacity which is quiet remarkable.