Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

Trade 2008 LS600 for 2012 LS600?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-15, 08:27 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Trade 2008 LS600 for 2012 LS600?

So I'm just now coming up on 1 year of ownership of my 2008 LS600hL, and I still totally LOVE the car. In fact, there really is no other car available today (at any price) that I'd rather be driving.

Anyway, I was foolishly surfing the net the other day, and came across a 2012 LS600hL being offered by Lexus of Akron. I've always figured one day I'd upgrade my 2008 to a newer model, and I've kept an occasional eye on the LS600s when they pop up on Autotrader. They are almost always WAY overpriced. But the price on the one currently being advertised in Akron has been dropping over the past month (I think it started around $65K, and is now down to $59K). It is a Starfire Pearl color with Parchment interior, and is just coming off-lease. The car has 39K miles and has been fully serviced every 5K miles by Lexus of Akron.

I spoke with my local Lexus dealer (Lexus of Omaha, who I have had great luck with), and the Used Car Sales Manager contacted Lexus of Akron to see what kind of deal we could work out. As it turns out, the $59K is about as good as it will get, supposedly. I do think that's a pretty good price for this car, based on Edmunds/NADA/KBB.

Lexus of Omaha offered to give me $30K for my current 2008 LS600. This was pretty disappointing, since I had purchased it 1 year ago from them for $43K as a CPO model. My car had 58K miles when I bought it, and it now has 68K miles. It seems like the prices of the 2008 models really dropped significantly this past year on KBB/Edmunds -- perhaps since they can no longer be sold as CPO cars. I do think I can convince my Lexus dealer to do a bit better than $30K in trade, but it will still cost quite a bit to upgrade to the 2012.

So I'm seeking opinions from the forum on whether it's worth it to upgrade from a 2008 to 2012 LS600hL, given the scenario I've described. I understand this is obviously a subjective question, and only I can make the final determination on whether it's worth it to me -- I'm just fishing for opinions.

My 2008 does have the wind noise issue, even after doing the jmcrany window triangle fix (it's not horrible, but I can definitely hear wind whistling when driving in a cross-wind). My car has had all new Upper Control Arms installed, new brakes and tires installed, all recalls done, etc., and is pretty immaculate.

The 2012 should be pretty bulletproof, since I think most of the early problems were solved by the time the 2012s were produced. I do like the speedometer cluster better in the 2012, and the updated electronics (blue-tooth, etc.) would be kind of nice.

Any thoughts to share? Thanks forum!
Old 05-28-15, 09:13 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Just for reference, this one?
http://www.lcpo.com/VehicleDetails/c...-OH/2488786203

For the extra $29k, I'd pass. Yours is already bulletproofed, low mileage for the age, and you like it. Not enough difference in the 2012 to make it worth $30k (once taxes and all are paid, it would cost you an extra $30k to do this). Then once you had the 2012, it would start depreciating quickly and be worth $30k in 2019.
Old 05-28-15, 09:18 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tec80
Just for reference, this one?
http://www.lcpo.com/VehicleDetails/c...-OH/2488786203

For the extra $29k, I'd pass. Yours is already bulletproofed, low mileage for the age, and you like it. Not enough difference in the 2012 to make it worth $30k (once taxes and all are paid, it would cost you an extra $30k to do this). Then once you had the 2012, it would start depreciating quickly and be worth $30k in 2019.
Yep, that's the one. Thanks for your perspective! I really do love my current car... and it has probably been "bulletproofed" by the fixes for the Control Arms/etc.
Old 05-28-15, 09:53 AM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I would pass and wait for a future upgrade to the 2013 and beyond body. You paid a premium for a CPO car and you will be giving it all back to the dealer in this trade transaction for minor changes between 2008 and 2012. You will not be happy when you see the dealer turn around and sell the car that you gave them on a golden plate for $40K
Old 05-28-15, 10:09 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

The bulletproofing process can be significant and time-consuming, and the value of a car that has been "bulletproofed" should not be underestimated.

Related to this, the CPO 2012 I just bought is currently at the dealer having its engine and transmission dropped out to replace the differential side bearings and CV axles. This is to resolve the coasting vibration issue I posted about. My hat is off to the dealer and technicians, who are more than willing to go to great lengths to eliminate this issue. They also bulletproofed my 2011, resolving every single issue to complete satisfaction. I'm in love with Lexus.
Old 05-28-15, 10:21 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I agree with other sentiments there, you can't really tell a 2008 and a 2012 model, and there weren't enough significant changes between the two year models to justify a $30k investment. If this was a 2013, maybe...but until then, given as how yours is still under CPO warranty, there isn't a financial or logical reason to move...

Others made a good point about depreciation...with a rumored refresh/body style of the LS coming out soon, these LS models are only going to depreciate further (though your 2008 will bear less brunt than the 2012...)

As you're happy with your car, I'd keep it.
Old 05-28-15, 10:32 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

riknchar, not sure you noticed from the pictures or not, this (2012) car doesn't have dynamic radar cruise control. That was must for me when I was looking for LS may be your preference is different.
Old 05-28-15, 11:13 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by satiger
riknchar, not sure you noticed from the pictures or not, this (2012) car doesn't have dynamic radar cruise control. That was must for me when I was looking for LS may be your preference is different.
Although I decided to do without DRCC in my recent 2010 CPO SWB purchase, I'd want that feature, particularly the Advanced Pre-Collision System, in a LS600h; otherwise, what's the point?
Old 05-28-15, 12:11 PM
riknchar
Instructor

These are all great points, Forum friends!

I had suspected that the Akron car didn't have the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, but the photos of the steering wheel were sort of blurry and I couldn't tell for sure. That's one feature I use almost every day on my current LS600. I'm really surprised to find an LS600hL without it, to be honest.

I suppose the right way to look at this comparison is to not be too bummed that my 2008 has depreciated down to $30K at this point, since that means it won't (can't) depreciate as much in the future as a 2012 would. There is really nothing wrong with my 2008 (except for the slight wind noise), and I do have a great warranty. I actually had purchased the Extended CPO warranty when I bought the car last year, taking the warranty all the way out to 6 years total (5 years from now) and up to 125K miles. At the time, I figured if I decided to upgrade during the first 3 years, I could get a refund (pro-rated) on that warranty, but it's pretty valuable on my car as it sits (weird to think my car would still be under warranty as a 12-year old, 100K mile+ car).

I think I'm convinced my best move is no move at this point. Now if a tasty deal opens up one day on a 2013-14, that may be another story ;-) Not sure I can get past the Mouse Controller, though... I definitely prefer the touchscreen.

Thanks!
Old 05-28-15, 02:23 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

I think you talked yourself into the best move . . . none. Sounds like you have a great car now and with the CPO it's peace of mind.
Old 05-28-15, 05:44 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

not sure if it matters but they deleted the cool box in 2010+ 600's due to a rearranged trunk with more space. The 08-09 models had the cool box.
Old 05-28-15, 06:27 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aypues
not sure if it matters but they deleted the cool box in 2010+ 600's due to a rearranged trunk with more space. The 08-09 models had the cool box.
Well I can now proudly brag that I have one option that no '11 600 has
Old 05-28-15, 06:47 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great discussion and reasoning. I would say I second the decision, but I guess it would be more like the 6th person, or what ever that would be. $30k for a 7 year old car isn't a bad trade to a dealer. We never get what we value the car at. Keep your fly ride, and save your dollars for real model upgrade.
Old 05-28-15, 07:32 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Geeez, this thread started at 11:27 AM and was over by 3:11 PM. I didn't even have a chance to weigh in.

But I do agree with the outcome!
Old 05-28-15, 08:52 PM
jainla
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Agreed.

All else being equal here's what you'll gain from the 2012:
  • Slightly more trunk space
  • Vibrating massage for both rear seats
  • Styling tweaks in and out
  • the cool TFT instrument panel
  • USB integration
  • Device agnostic voice dial
Here's what you'll lose:
  • Rear seat cool box
  • $30k
  • peace of mind knowing your car is the way you want it
  • Panache of having the first MY of the 600h
  • did I mention the $30k?

Even the 2013 removes the Advance Parking system but adds the mouse controller; bigger screen, cross traffic alert, blind spot warning, Lexus Enform, and even more styling. I'd save your pennies and wait for 5LS.

Re the last two pluses on the 2012; the USB integration for that year from Toyota is really not good; the lists are slow to scroll if you have lots of songs and the interface needs work. I bought the USB/Aux connector from the 2010 and wired it into the Vaistech box for my 2008 and have been very happy with the results; looks totally stock.

Nothing until 2014 will have Siri Eyes free; which I remedied by buying this and velcroing to the side of the steering wheel behind the volume and voice command buttons:

Satechi Home Button. Satechi Home Button.

Best $25 I ever spent. Siri dials the phone; reads me my text messages; and keeps me company on the long drive home.

Quick Reply: Trade 2008 LS600 for 2012 LS600?