LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Spark plug change costs $14,600 to fix. car for sale

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-15, 11:13 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Just a general comment about how this thread has progressed....

One example: When someone feels like they have to defend their reason for not changing the engine out themselves by posting X-Rays of damage to their legs, it's time to take a step back and consider what this forum is about. Some posts in this thread have IMO needlessly criticized OP without putting his wrecked engine into context with the other maintenance issues he's had.

An earlier comment sticks in my mind as a great summarization of OP's experiences. It was something like: "These cars are supposed to be bullet-proof, but it seems you caught a silver bullet." No matter how rational the possible explanations are for OP's problems, he certainly has had more than his share of them!

So why not cut OP a little slack as many posts here have done? Overall reliability means little if you've a car that seems to have been a magnet for every major problem these cars have been subject to. Of course this is an exaggeration, but you get my drift.

I agree that when purchasing a used luxury car, you need to budget realistically for repairs, including looking beyond having the work done at the dealer and having them source the parts for you. I think, though, OP is the best judge or whether his car is the right one for him. Having had all the repairs done and if he can get his insurance to cover most of his engine replacement costs, perhaps the car will now be what he was expecting. Only the OP can determine that.

/off soapbox
Old 06-03-15, 11:37 AM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
There are plenty of 7 series on the road with over 100,000 miles. Just because the one you had was unreliable doesn't mean they all are. You were just unlucky and had a lemon.
Far more were than were not. Mine started its decline within a month of delivery. The thing saw so much dealer garage time it could have been insured there The problems with the 7 series are very well documented going back to the original models (which preceded Internet forums btw). As I recall Microsoft was responsible for the I-Drive system and spawned a bunch of jokes about the BMW manifestation of the Blue Screen of Death which was funny until it wasn't.
Old 06-03-15, 12:28 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DiggerJim
Far more were than were not. Mine started its decline within a month of delivery. The thing saw so much dealer garage time it could have been insured there The problems with the 7 series are very well documented going back to the original models (which preceded Internet forums btw). As I recall Microsoft was responsible for the I-Drive system and spawned a bunch of jokes about the BMW manifestation of the Blue Screen of Death which was funny until it wasn't.
My business partner and I both had 7 Series. They were the worst cars either of us have ever owned.
Old 06-03-15, 01:19 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

On the subject of reliability, anyone who says a car from the 80's is more reliable than the LS460 is most likely not thinking clearly, and that's ok, it happens. The cars from the 80's weren't even fuel injected. Try starting a car from the 80's on a cold morning...good luck. The engines were big, underpowered, had little efficiency and weren't reliable.Today's cars are so advanced that you can unplug a coil pack, tear off a couple of vacuum lines and the computer will still be able to compensate and keep the thing running. Do that on a car from the 80's and its game over. A car from the 80's wasn't expected to last much more than 100,000 miles, but today that's just breaking a car in...even the worst ones.

My LS is approaching the 100k mile mark, so far no issues. From what I've read on most other threads, that type of reliability is what I can expect going forward. That's what I'm hoping for, not the stuff I've read on this thread.
Old 06-03-15, 02:29 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
On the subject of reliability, anyone who says a car from the 80's is more reliable than the LS460 is most likely not thinking clearly, and that's ok, it happens. The cars from the 80's weren't even fuel injected. Try starting a car from the 80's on a cold morning...good luck. The engines were big, underpowered, had little efficiency and weren't reliable.Today's cars are so advanced that you can unplug a coil pack, tear off a couple of vacuum lines and the computer will still be able to compensate and keep the thing running. Do that on a car from the 80's and its game over. A car from the 80's wasn't expected to last much more than 100,000 miles, but today that's just breaking a car in...even the worst ones.

My LS is approaching the 100k mile mark, so far no issues. From what I've read on most other threads, that type of reliability is what I can expect going forward. That's what I'm hoping for, not the stuff I've read on this thread.
Yep. People often get nostalgic about cars from the past being reliable which is not the case at all. The cars from the 80s were some of the worst. Since computerized cars hit the market in the 90s they have increased reliability tremendously and the mechanical parts they have now like ball joints are not only maintenance free, they can last well over 100k miles.
The cars we often hear about going over 300k from the 90s are more of the exception then the norm.

In other news some of the quality and engine drive train reports has come out for the newer S class and Mercedes didn't disappoint as they have not changed despite all of the hype surrounding the car.
I'm beginning to see a pattern where there is hype in the media about the latest German makes spreading the propaganda they have changed but they end up being the same crappy car. The S class did get the JD performance award but that means nothing as I would trade that for a well made car like the Lexus.

Last edited by Devh; 06-03-15 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-03-15, 02:48 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your first sentence mentions reliability, yet the rest of your post compares technology. Not trying to nitpick, but it's apples and oranges.
Old 06-03-15, 03:54 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pamperme
Your first sentence mentions reliability, yet the rest of your post compares technology. Not trying to nitpick, but it's apples and oranges.
The whole premise of my post was reasoning why it is ridiculous to compare a car from the 80's, to a car from now. Technology does factor into the equation of reliability, that is my point.
Old 06-03-15, 04:18 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

The whole premise of my post was reasoning why it is ridiculous to compare a car from the 80's, to a car from now. Technology does factor into the equation of reliability, that is my point.
It's worth nothing that the most reliable car according to many sources, is also one of the most advanced and technological laden pieces of machinery in the automotive world —the Lexus LS. Many used ones have a better reliability record than newer less technology induced makes. Reliability is a matter of commitment, not necessarily technology.
Old 06-03-15, 04:21 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I didn't say inferior, I said inexpensive. No need to argue with me, I'm agreeing win you. The fact is though, the vast majority of people just take their car to a machanic or the dealer, and unless they are willing to pay for some expensive repairs, they should buy a new Accord instead of a used LS460. The OP is clearly one of these people. You clearly aren't.

To Pamperme, comparing an old Civic to an LS460 is silly.. The civic is very reliable...it also has no features, no technology, and is a far less complex vehicle than an LS460.

Old doesn't mean unreliable, but any older car is going to need more maintenance and repairs compared for a new car. If you aren't prepared for that...buy a lesser new car.

That's one reason why I don't buy used cars. I don't want to deal with it.
I wasn't comparing a civic to a LS460 specifically. And as I've said before: reliability is about commitment, not necessarily technology.
Old 06-03-15, 04:23 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Oh wow....I cannot disagree more. "Reliable" means that when I get into my car and turn the key, it starts and doesn't belch a mushroom cloud of blue smoke with only 50k miles on it, DESPITE regular maintenance (ie: My previous 7 series). Now, if you want to say that any car can LAST forever, THAT is true. So long as you keep throwing money at it, you can drive the car literally forever. Let's not play with words, everyone knows what reliable is. A Toyota Corolla is reliable.... A Yugo is not. Reliable is defined as, "consistently good in quality or performance; able to be trusted."

..."dependable, good, well founded, trustworthy, constant, unfailing; fail-safe, reputable, established, proven, having trustworthy qualities".
YESSSSSSS!!!!!! I couldn't agree more!!!
Old 06-03-15, 04:38 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pamperme
It's worth nothing that the most reliable car according to many sources, is also one of the most advanced and technological laden pieces of machinery in the automotive world —the Lexus LS. Many used ones have a better reliability record than newer less technology induced makes. Reliability is a matter of commitment, not necessarily technology.
I'd call reliability excellent engineering, design and quality control, along with commitment.

Every car company could make an outstanding reliable vehicle, but most are not committed to it, like you say. It's not their goal, their goal is to make as much profit as possible while maintaining some acceptable level of reliability. Other companies have a different formula for making money...some rely on reliability...that's their selling point. I think Lexus/Toyota, Honda/Acura fall into that category.

You're absolutely right about technology, it does not directly lead to reliability in the sense you're talking about. Some companies just use technology as a selling point...they have to be the first ones to sell it, yet it doesn't work. GM is famous for that. And Chrysler cares more about appearance and gadgets than mechanical reliability. It makes me sick. I'd throw Kia/Hyundai into that mix as well, although their cars look nice and have come a long way, they are cheaply made and don't hold up well in the long run.
Old 06-03-15, 04:53 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

There are plenty of 7 series on the road with over 100,000 miles. Just because the one you had was unreliable doesn't mean they all are. You were just unlucky and had a lemon.
Bwahahahahaha!!!! Ohhhhh man! Just when I thought it couldn't get funnier....

When the BMW Regional Rep at the Vancouver International Car Show tells you that the 7 series was "meant to be leased or purchased CPO after a lease", that should tell you something. When you spend 2.5 years on the #1 BMW Forum (Bimmerfest) and share the misery with hundreds of other 7 series owners bemoaning the car, that is not a "lemon". When Time Magazine lists it as one of the "50 Worst Cars in History", that is not a one-off. When there are scads of videos about limousine companies losing their businesses because of mechanical and computer issues and companies in Los Angeles patenting techniques and tools to make 7 series ownership less of a hardship....etc. Trust me, I could go on. But as I typed this, I wondered if you were just trolling. I hope not.

Just go to the 7 series forum of Bimmerfest and feast your eyes on the misery there.
Old 06-03-15, 05:26 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Just go to the 7 series forum of Bimmerfest and feast your eyes on the misery there.
Wow, I've never been to that forum, and I just went over there. I clicked on the forum for 7 Series 2002-2008. When I bought my 2007 LS I considered a 750 (along with an S550, and A8), so that would have been the model I would have bought. Of 40 threads on the first page, 21 of them were titled stating a problem. Some others may have also been about a problem, but they were too many to read.

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned that part of Lexus' problem was a fast ramp up in production and also an increase in the number of models. Just the other day I was discussing with a friend how many different models BMW now makes. One has to wonder how adversely this will affect their already questionable reliability.

I would also say the same thing about Maserati. Two years ago they made 15,000 cars per year. They are now on course to produce 50,000. I just don't see how they can ramp up that much more production and maintain any sense of quality (not that they were that reliable when they were only building 15,000 vehicles).
Old 06-03-15, 05:54 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

When Time Magazine lists it as one of the "50 Worst Cars in History", that is not a one-off. When there are scads of videos about limousine companies losing their businesses because of mechanical and computer issues and companies in Los Angeles patenting techniques and tools to make 7 series ownership less of a hardship....etc. Trust me, I could go on. But as I typed this, I wondered if you were just trolling. I hope not.

Once again, the video:
BMW 7 Problems-YouTube
For some odd reason the video won't embed. The link is all that will post.

Last edited by Pamperme; 06-03-15 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-03-15, 07:39 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

When Time Magazine lists it as one of the "50 Worst Cars in History", that is not a one-off.
It's the Chevy Vega of the super-luxe world

Quick Reply: Spark plug change costs $14,600 to fix. car for sale