LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Those who had the OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL42...how long did they last?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-15, 09:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts
Default Those who had the OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL42...how long did they last?

My 2015 LS came with the terrible Bridgestone Turanza EL42. 240 treadwear, I had them on my 2010 ES350 and swapped them out about 19k miles. What kind of mileage have you LS owners with them gotten?

I'm tempted to preemptively just replace them to get the most out of the car.
Old 05-24-15, 10:27 PM
retlex
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a corporate lease with 30,000 miles on it. The records show that the Turanzas were replaced at 29,000 miles. I believe some silicone valley corporate executive's wife drove it before me, at least that's what the dealership told me. Coupled with fingernail scratches under the driver's door handle, it sounded believable. I think it was driven real easy as the original brake pads were at 8 mm. The dealership replaced them with the same Bridgestone Turanzas. So far I have 8,000 miles on them and they are still quiet, with a caveot I too take it easy with the car.
Old 05-25-15, 06:13 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I have about 15K-18K on mine and I still have a little less than 50% on them. I am suicidal though as I hate these tires with a passion. I am most likely going to change them before a big road trip in September though.
Old 05-25-15, 07:57 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

My 2007 LS460, that I bought new, came with the Turanza EL42s. I had 29K when I replaced them and I think they would have easily lasted past 35K. I was anxious for the original tires to wear out and they lasted longer that I wanted them to. I am a very conservative driver - brakes usually last past 60K. I never liked the tires because of the harsh ride. Replacing them made a very significant improvement in ride and road noise.
Old 05-25-15, 08:15 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Mine came with Turanza EL42 and lasted tad over 30k miles.
Old 05-25-15, 08:16 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
My 2007 LS460, that I bought new, came with the Turanza EL42s. I had 29K when I replaced them and I think they would have easily lasted past 35K. I was anxious for the original tires to wear out and they lasted longer that I wanted them to. I am a very conservative driver - brakes usually last past 60K. I never liked the tires because of the harsh ride. Replacing them made a very significant improvement in ride and road noise.
What did you replaced with?.
Old 05-25-15, 09:22 AM
retlex
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I too would like the best ride possible from my LS. I heard the Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season plus compliments the LS providing a smooth quiet ride. I saw a Mercedes 2015 S Class equipped with these tires as OEM. I also heard and read good things about them. Any thoughts?
Old 05-25-15, 09:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats what I'm buying.
Old 05-25-15, 10:10 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by satiger
What did you replaced with?.
There are lots of good choices out there and I am sure you will get lots of different recommendations.

I replaced my EL42s with Michelin Pilot MXM4s. The price was reasonable and the tires were readily available from several sources including Costco, Sam's Club and Discount Tire.
Old 05-25-15, 11:12 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by retlex
I too would like the best ride possible from my LS. I heard the Pirelli Cinturato P7 all season plus compliments the LS providing a smooth quiet ride. I saw a Mercedes 2015 S Class equipped with these tires as OEM. I also heard and read good things about them. Any thoughts?
Those tires get ridiculously good reviews. Some of the best reviews I've ever seen. This from TireRack:

The Cinturato P7 All Season Plus is Pirelli's Grand Touring All-Season tire designed for the drivers of touring and luxury touring cars looking for tires offering predictable handling, everyday comfort and all-season traction. Developed to be environmentally friendly, Pirelli's EcoImpact icons confirm the Cinturato P7 All Season Plus' contribution to the environment with regards to energy efficiency, clean air, low noise and long wear. Designed to be driven in America's diverse weather conditions, the Cinturato P7 All Season Plus features lower weight, less rolling resistance and reduced noise while enhancing wet braking and year-round traction, even in light snow.

Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires use a tread compound that features low oil and high-silica content to reduce braking distances and rolling resistance. This compound is molded into an asymmetric tread design that blends dry handling with wet road and wintertime traction. A continuous outboard shoulder promotes steering response while the pitch sequencing and phasing of multiple inboard tread block sizes reduce pattern noise. Four wide circumferential grooves help evacuate water to increase hydroplaning resistance while engineered lateral and longitudinal sipes increase the number of biting edges to enhance wet road and wintertime traction.

To enhance high-speed durability, handling ride quality and wear, the tire's internal structure features twin, lightweight steel belts reinforced by variable-tension spirally wrapped polyamide. The Cinturato P7 All Season Plus features a progressively flexible sidewall to cut down on deformation and unnecessary dispersal of energy, thereby reducing rolling resistance.

Note: Cinturato P7 All Season Plus tires feature low rolling resistance (LRR) compounds and constructions to enhance vehicle fuel economy. These tires are identified as such with Pirelli's EcoImpact designation on the Sizes and Specs pages.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ll+Season+Plus

I'll have to see if they have any in my size.

Last edited by roadfrog; 05-25-15 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-08-15, 06:52 PM
yoshirocks
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I just put some new pirelli cinturato p7 all season plus tires on the boat, they are nice I'm not sure if its me or not but I don't think I noticed a huge difference between these and the 7 year old bridgestones that the car came with in terms of noise and ride, my car is currently at 48,000km (about 30k miles) and the bridgestones maybe had a tiny bit of life left but I opted to change them. It definitely wasn't a night and day difference that I was expecting.

Old 06-08-15, 07:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Ride around in them for a couple days. I've heard from people and found on my old ES that once they settle in and you get the pressures right they become more impressive.
Old 06-12-15, 11:10 AM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

about 25-30k. Been using Serenity's (about 40k).
Old 06-12-15, 01:00 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by yoshirocks
I just put some new pirelli cinturato p7 all season plus tires on the boat, they are nice I'm not sure if its me or not but I don't think I noticed a huge difference between these and the 7 year old bridgestones that the car came with in terms of noise and ride, my car is currently at 48,000km (about 30k miles) and the bridgestones maybe had a tiny bit of life left but I opted to change them. It definitely wasn't a night and day difference that I was expecting.
Those Bridgestones are not only done you are lucky you didn't have an accident. Tires are only good for four to five years after that they are a safety hazard that can separate unexpectedly.
Also as tires get older they lose traction and become noisy that is why you cant compare old tires with new tires because there will be a night and day difference but that is to be expected. I'm surprised you did not notice the difference.

I agree with most here that the stock Bridgestones are lousy but fortunately the tire company is not. I'm very happy with the poll position A/S tires I purchased last year.

Last edited by Devh; 06-12-15 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-12-15, 02:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Devh
I agree with most here that the stock Bridgestones are lousy but fortunately the tire company is not. I'm very happy with the poll position A/S tires I purchased last year.
Its always incredible to me how a company can make some tire models that are so excellent, and some which are such crap!

Quick Reply: Those who had the OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL42...how long did they last?