LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Disgusted with Lexus of Orland (IL)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-15, 07:13 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs down Disgusted with Lexus of Orland (IL)

Well, never thought I'd have to call Lexus corporate, but I guess there is always a first for everything.

Just a bit of background first. For the last 5-10k miles I've been trying to track down a somewhat illusive rattle coming from the dash/left A-pillar area. Although two dealers have looked at this issue and have done certain things to take care of the problem, shortly after (few hundred miles) the service visit the rattle reappears. So here I am, a few hundred miles away from hitting the 50k mile warranty limit and putting about 140 miles a day driving to and from work.

Fast forward to today, driving into work I hear that annoying sound. Perfect! Lexus of Orland is just a few miles away and they are open. Not only are they open when I actually have the time to drop the car off, the rattle is happening right now and I can have them document this issue before I hit 50k. So I quickly get on the phone just so that I don't arrive unannounced and try to let them know that I'd like to come by, and even if they have no loaners, at least have them see the issue so that I can drop the car off sometime next week when the rattle might not be so prevalent. This is where things start to get interesting.

After trying to explain my issue to the receptionist, she gets the service manager who proceeds to tell me that he is practically unwilling to work on issues like rattles in the last 5k miles of the warranty. huh? His position was that people try to get issues fixed late in the warranty period and that basically amounts to reconditioning the car. My response to that was very simple. A warranty extends to 50k miles and therefore if there is a warrantalbe issue occurring at 49,999 it should be covered. I then proceeded to explain that I have been trying to track this problem down for some time, and the issue is that I can't replicate it on demand. It just so happens that I am hearing it now and I am about to hit 50k miles, and therefore I would like a qualified dealer that is close to me and that it open right now look at the issue and document it. Thinking that I have just explained to this "gentleman" that I am not trying to "recondition" my car, I was blown away when he said, and I quote, "well in that case I definitely am not going to work on this car." As he put it, he didn't want to be the third wheel in this whole situation. You are a qualified dealer that should be able to do warranty work, period. It's your damn job! The fact that a previous dealer wasn't able to track down an issue shouldn't prevent you from doing any work. At this point I basically told him that he is refusing to do work that he is required to, and that I will be voicing my concerns to corporate.

As a side-note, my co-worker had a similarly bad experience only with their sales department. Went in to look at a brand new ES350 with all the options (with the intent to purchase within a few weeks) and was snobbed off . Turned around and two weeks later went to another dealer to purchase the car.

Last edited by Ascari_2; 05-21-15 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-21-15, 07:36 AM
konradl
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a d***. If Lexus states that you have a 50k warranty, it doesn't matter if you go in there with 7 issues at 49,999 - they should be looking at them and diagnosing your concerns. Definitely follow up with corporate. I've had similar situations with service managers, not necessarily for warranty reasons, but cases where I had to personally stop in and make a firm statement. Not all are bad, but some think they know everything and literally try to abuse the customer with their 'know-all' attitude. Not happening.

Good luck and I hope you resolve this.
Old 05-21-15, 07:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
the service manager who proceeds to tell me that he is practically unwilling to work on issues like rattles in the last 5k miles of the warranty. huh? His position was that people try to get issues fixed late in the warranty period and that basically amounts to reconditioning the car. My response to that was very simple. A warranty extends to 50k miles and therefore if there is a warrantalbe issue occurring at 49,999 it should be covered. I then proceeded to explain that I have been trying to track this problem down for some time, and the issue is that I can't replicate it on demand. It just so happens that I am hearing it now and I am about to hit 50k miles, and therefore I would like a qualified dealer that is close to me and that it open right now look at the issue and document it. Thinking that I have just explained to this "gentleman" that I am not trying to "recondition" my car, I was blown away when he said, and I quote, "well in that case I definitely am not going to work on this car." As he put it, he didn't want to be the third wheel in this whole situation. You are a qualified dealer that should be able to do warranty work, period. It's your damn job! The fact that a previous dealer wasn't able to track down an issue shouldn't prevent you from doing any work. At this point I basically told him that he is refusing to do work that he is required to, and that I will be voicing my concerns to corporate.
Thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard. The warranty is the warranty...whether there is 5k miles left or 5 miles or 50,000 miles its covered under the warranty.

Is there another dealer in your area you can take it to? I would definitely call Lexus and tell them that you're going to file a complaint with the state for Lexus through the dealer being unwilling to honor their warranty.
Old 05-21-15, 07:57 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

That is the saddest thing I've read in a long time. I'm sure Corporate wouldn't accept this kind of bad customer service at the local level. What a stooge. He should be reprimanded and removed from his position as an idiot.

Absolutely call corporate and when you get to the right person ask: "Is the last 5000 miles of your warranty not honored?"

I'd jump all over this and the sooner the better! Go get em!
Old 05-21-15, 07:59 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Luckily Lexus of Highland Park (with whom I've worked before and who it 10 minutes from my house) is more than willing to try to resolve the issue. I just spoke with their service manager and he said that even if I go past 50k they will work on the car. Kudos to them . It's that kind of customer respect that gets the dealer repeat business.

Just wish the rattle was more easily replicatable.

Last edited by Ascari_2; 05-21-15 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-21-15, 08:40 AM
konradl
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It always amazes me how much service varies from one dealer to another, even though they should be equal.
All boils down to the individual and the individuals who put them there. With that said, I would still file a complaint with corporate against the Orlando branch.
Old 05-21-15, 08:43 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

By the way, for those saying that a complaint should be filed, that was done pretty much immediately after I got off the phone with the goofball.
Old 05-21-15, 08:49 AM
Gustavo621
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was there a few weeks ago to get a recall done. took me an hour to get in and out and there was no one ahead of me, and they were acting snobbish. I should have taken it to the westmont dealer but the orland one was closer to my house. I drive an 06 so im not sure if that had something to do with it but they should be nice where you drive a '15 or a '95 its still a Lexus.

*EDIT*
They were a tad bit nicer the next day when I went to pick up my car.

Last edited by Gustavo621; 05-21-15 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-21-15, 09:22 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Good for you for not taking it. I certainly wouldn't.

I have the exact opposite problem. My service advisor was great. Awesome guy. Always took good care of me. I recently went to buy another used Lexus and while there I figured I'd stop by and see him, and they told me he left. And I quote "he left because he wasn't making enough money here. Lexus is too reliable. He went to a more unreliable manufacturer" .
Old 05-21-15, 09:32 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Ascari_2:
I am sincerely sorry for that entire experience. Simply because I know exactly what it feels like to receive horrible customer service...I repeat CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!
We all know that feeling unfortunately.
I just don't understand it. Not to be snobbish in the least, however, these are cars that we all drive and just simply wish to take care of them, yet some SERVICE facilities act as if it's not their JOB to assist and service you.
On another note, though it's horrible you had this experience, it's great that you posted this here because it's informative for people such as my self who live in the general region and at times are trying to decide which dealership to service their car.
I typically have mine serviced at Lexus of Merrillville, as I reside in IN, but have toyed with the idea of going to Orland, as they are the next closest.
After reading this, and a few other posts and dealership reviews, definitely not.
I haven't experienced any huge issues with L.o.M, however their staff is inconsistent in regards to polite and courteous service, and I've had enough off-putting/questionable experiences to make me feel indifferent about their facility.
What's also ironic is that they are owned by the same people: Kuwalis(?).
Who had you dealt with in the past if I may ask?
I seem to always hear great things about McGrath Chicago, then Westmont.
They are both a little bit of a drive, but if I'll receive great customer service and honesty, I'd have no qualms with a little drive.
Old 05-21-15, 11:23 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

CRowe,

When I had my ISF, I used to have it serviced by Woodfield Lexus. However, around the time that we bought the LS, we moved up north about 10 minutes away from Lexus of Highland Park. So I decided to stay with them. While they've tried to fix this issue, I understand that rattles could be a little tricky to track down, so I don't blame them one bit for not resolving the issue 100%. However, a few weeks back while I was driving by Woodfield I once again heard this noise and decided to pop in there to replicate the issue and give Woodfield a try. They tried but it seems like they too couldn't get down to the bottom of it. So while neither of these dealers has fixed the problem yet, both have tried with no questions asked. Orland, on the other hand, basically said don't bring your car here because we won't work on it.

At of this moment though, Lexus of Highland Park gives me the most confidence and I see no reason to go anywhere else unless it's a situation where I need immediate service and another dealer is right down the street.

Last edited by Ascari_2; 05-21-15 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-21-15, 11:46 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

At least you have several locations to choose from. Here we have one. For the most part Lexus of Memphis service will take care you fine. Don't try to buy a car and as for a penny off though.
Old 05-21-15, 01:04 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I would send a letter to Lexus about this, documenting the verbatim from this idiot. I think you can legally take them to court and win hands down if this is the factory warranty.
Old 05-21-15, 01:06 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I had two Lexus' serviced at Orland Park. One of them purchased new there, and the other purchased new from Naperville. No issues with the service department with either car. .

I didn't have your issue and realize that things and personnel can change at the dealerships and things like this can definitely be frustrating..
Old 05-21-15, 01:23 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by hfahmy
I would send a letter to Lexus about this, documenting the verbatim from this idiot. I think you can legally take them to court and win hands down if this is the factory warranty.
Simply ridiculous it would even have to go this far...
Its actually ridiculous the conversation even occurred the way it did.
Shortly after I purchased my car, I had Lexus of Merrillville RFB my tires and specifically asked them to NOT was the vehicle, due to my adherent fear that the automatic wash bay would place swirls and scratches on the paint surface.
I go to pick the car up, its clean...WITH faintly visible swirls, but more evident scratches!
It was late and all service personnel had left for the day, so I called and spoke to a Service Manager the next morning.
I explained to him what had happened, and asked politely if they could do anything to remedy the problem. His response:
"I'm sorry...umm...our washing system does NOT put scratches or swirls in our customers vehicles. It just doesn't happen. We have washed thousands of cars and they've all been fine. What's likely happened is that you haven't noticed the scratches and now you see'em. Just look up a local detail shop and they should be able to take care of you. But, no, there's really nothing we can do here. We just don't scratch vehicles here."
Can you say livid??!!??
Needless to say I took the survey and explained the issue and included his name, then spoke to the facility manager and he directed me to someone else in service and the car was waxed and buffed at no cost to me.
Ironically, the next few times I had gone to that dealership, I had noticed the name posted on the outside of the SM's office had changed to another gentleman's name.
Coincidence? I think not...

Quick Reply: Disgusted with Lexus of Orland (IL)