LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Battery fail

Old 10-13-15, 12:55 PM
NobleSpine
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had two lexus batteries die on me within short span (did not remember how long) but got covered only 50% of the cost.
Old 10-15-15, 12:46 PM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

based on your experience, it seems that the battery warranty goes with the car, and not with the owner, i.e., change of owner does not affect the warranty. that's good, Thanks,

Originally Posted by wayman28
As an update I'm back in business. I had my car jumped and drove it into the dealership. They tested the battery and it was basically dead and could not hold a charge. They replaced it for free and my warranty period resets so I have another 7 years of coverage. My car now starts and drives perfectly with the new battery. There are no indications that there is anything wrong with the altenator.

The Lexus service advisor said it is not common for Lexus batteries to die in a year but he has seen it before. He said sometimes they get bad ones that die almost immediately. Apparently he has seen brand new cars fresh off the boat from the factory before they were even put into inventory with failed batteries. Go figure.

One thing I wanted to clarify since someone posted about how good it is for Lexus to provide a 7 year warranty as compared to Autozone. The 7 year Lexus warranty is prorated. Within the first two years it is covered 100% but it drops after that. I think in the 7th year you only get 25% coverage.
Old 01-13-16, 04:48 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I own an 07 and recently had to make a trip to the dealer for a few things.
While it was in their care, they tested the battery and said that it failed the load test and that I needed a new battery.
I approved to replacement, about $220 if I recall correctly.
I asked if the battery was the original Panny (I couldn't recall from my service record's) and he said he'd have to check.
He came back and said that it was the original and that he was surprised, as that would indicate that the battery is over 8 years old, as my car was placed into service in early September of '07.
He also said that it seems that, based off of his observations, that Lexus OEM batteries seems to fare better in colder climates, versus warmer climates (He has been a SA for Lexus in NY as well as in the south).
He said in the warmer climates, the batteries seems to have a life of about 4-5 years where up north it was closer to 7-8.
He thinks the heat drains them...
Just though I'd share his perspective.
Old 01-13-16, 09:35 PM
ambrown307
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced the original in my 2007 about 3 months ago. Very impressed!
Old 01-13-16, 10:17 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

The original Lexus battery was dead when I went to test drive my '10 460 and the dealership replaced it with a new Lexus battery in my presence. That new battery lasted a little over a year. I replaced that Lexus battery with a Interstate over three years ago and no problems to date. I think some battery are just better than others. I've used Interstate battery on most of my vehicles and they last a long time.
Old 01-14-16, 08:05 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

My original Panny lasted over 6 years, I replaced it with an AC Delco Professional 2 years ago. I paid about a hundred bucks on sale.
Old 01-15-16, 10:54 AM
dal20402
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Welp... my OEM Lexus battery installed in April (shortly before I bought the car in July) was dead this morning. Car hadn't been driven in 12 days. Headlight switch was OFF. Had to run three blocks to the garage where my old Acura is parked and drive it to my off-site meeting.

Will try tonight to jump it and get the car moving, but I'm thinking the next battery is not going to be an OEM one.
Old 01-15-16, 02:12 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dal20402
Welp... my OEM Lexus battery installed in April (shortly before I bought the car in July) was dead this morning. Car hadn't been driven in 12 days. Headlight switch was OFF. Had to run three blocks to the garage where my old Acura is parked and drive it to my off-site meeting.

Will try tonight to jump it and get the car moving, but I'm thinking the next battery is not going to be an OEM one.
So, what exactly is it about this car that seems to drain the battery when its not driven?
I'll be honest in saying that I was a bit saddened to find out that my Panny failed the load test, because all I could think about was the new "OEM" interstate batteries failing prematurely.
I had planned on driving my Honda for most of the winter and letting the LS stay in the garage, while only driving it occasionally.
But now I'm wondering if that wont be good for the battery.
Old 01-15-16, 07:33 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

CRowe14, I think both you and I need battery tenders for this car. My car gets driven on most, but not all, weekends, and on a weekday maybe once every six weeks. It's fairly normal for it to sit for two weeks like it did immediately before today's dead battery event.

A jump from my Acura took care of the issue for the moment (with a spluttery hiccupy start as the ECU tried to get its bearings), but I know this battery's on borrowed time and will be looking around for a new one this weekend (and driving the car every day until I get one).
Old 02-22-16, 03:29 PM
dal20402
Intermediate

Just an update: I finally got off my duff and replaced my failing Lexus battery over the weekend. I bought a DuraLast Gold DLG-24, which fit perfectly and started the car on the first try. Spent way too much time dealing with the stupid fiddly rod on the front side of the battery tray, but other than that battery replacement was as easy as expected.

Will update when it inevitably fails.
Old 02-22-16, 06:16 PM
mdpresco
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dal20402
Spent way too much time dealing with the stupid fiddly rod on the front side of the battery tray, but other than that battery replacement was as easy as expected.
I removed my FIDDLY ROD over the weekend to remove the top hold down and check the levels in the cells. What a pain. I finally removed the battery so I could understand how to get it back in place! Those slots at the end of the rod are deceiving.
Old 06-06-16, 07:31 PM
cerbum
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I, too, just ate a OEM replacement battery in less than 6 months. It replaced a battery that was less than 3 years old. This time, the Toyota dealer I had it towed to (VSC System Failure, Brake Failure, World Ending, yada yada) determine the alternator was toast. CPO warranty covered the alternator ($1675 parts & labor) but not the $30 freight to the dealer or the battery that lasted less than 6 months due to the alternator being on its last leg? Seems silly, but whatever.

Sometimes that extended CPO warranty does pay off.

Also, time to find the paperwork on the 6 month old battery and see about getting its replacement cost covered.

-cerbum
'08 LS460 SWB & BRAND NEW ALTERNATOR!
Old 12-13-16, 05:12 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Post Fresh excited electrons...

Checking back in / dredging up the thread. I'm still on the original Panasonic battery. 7 years of service (the car began service 12/09). The car still cranks, but it distinctly sounds weak. And since I do not prefer to get stranded at one of my several mistresses homes (), and the battery IS 7 years old, I just purchased a new battery. A NAPA "The Legend" - Premium.

I'm adding a few blurbs of information for future searches. I read about flooded cell batteries and the East Penn / Deka (NAPA) 84 series always rates well. And it was accessible to me. So I purchased an 8424. 725 CCA and $108. Manufactured in September this year. It's an 84 month warranty (18 months free replacement, the remainder pro-rated) from the PURCHASE date (not manufacturing date). Hence the 84 series name.

It is a size group code 24 (BCI). It took me forever to find the group code on here! I don't trust auto parts stores (but they did have it correct). It may go in tonight, it may go in tomorrow.

Why do I get so excited about silly stuff like car batteries? I think that makes me an auto-nerd.
Old 12-13-16, 08:00 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Why do I get so excited about silly stuff like car batteries? I think that makes me an auto-nerd.
"My name is Chris and I'm an auto nerd"

LOL. That's why we're here!
Old 12-14-16, 08:14 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

"My name is Troy, and I profess to be an Auto-Nerd also.. And im proud of it!!!"
I can think of so many things that are much, much worse to identify with!
The following users liked this post:
Wassum3636 (10-27-21)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery fail