LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Loss of Power/Hesitation after turn

Old 06-09-15, 05:59 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by caha14
It works like a charm!

As a bit of context, I was the first one done at my dealership several years ago (and likely one of the earlier folks on CL to post about it. At the time, because of irreversibility, as you state, and the history with updates to the ES330 and RX330 (that didn't work all that well in some cases), they were reluctant (for those cars, interestingly, premium fuel made a huge difference).

I convinced them, especially after describing how I had my foot to the floor and had some nincompoop in a little 4-cyl car riding my tail beeping at me! The shop foreman was blown away by the results, and their view that these flashes were all bad was forever erased I was amazed as well.

The work was covered by TSIB L-SB-0033-08, which I don't have handy at the moment but can post (may have even posted elsewhere in the past, and others have posted it too). For reference, my late-2007-build 2008 was outdated by two or three versions of the calibration, so if this has never been done to your car, you likely have one of the first couple versions.

The applicable warranty is powertrain, which you are likely still out of, but if you have a good relationship with your dealership, this is hardly a labor-intensive job. Yes, it takes time, but the bulk of it is the car sitting pretty with the Techstream uploading to it.
Thanks for the information, so I imagine it's an hour labor at Lexus for something like this. Which is $120.00 an hour where I am, I'll give them a call to get more information.
Old 06-09-15, 06:38 PM
PlatinumV8
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My VVT-I LS has the same hesitation!

I just got a 2000 Platinum Edition from a dealer in Orlando. 90K on the clock. They did a service on this trade in where they replaced a leaking valve cover gasket.

The hesitation was there when I floored it during an evasive maneuver right after purchase. Sales guy blamed it was knocked out of gear. In traffic, pulled over and put in park and did not notice where the shifter was when it had the loss of power.

Happened again and again on long trip back to Michigan. Sales guy said warranty only covered 150 miles out of their Audi Dealership. Got better as the trip went on, thought, it's a Lexus, no biggie, it is probably something minor, the transmissions are bullet proof, something must be loose or need adjustment.

The guys on the LS400 side are pointing to bad capacitors in the ECU.

I am now thinking Audi put in whatever oil they use for their V8s.

Any thoughts Gentlemen? Also when it gets above 3K on the tac, it starts to wake up and then hang on!

Sometimes I jump off the line like a drag car and other times it is like an anchor was tossed out behind me for a few seconds. Snow mode is what I am using to make it smooth in traffic jams and parking lots.

Your 4.6 is of the same DOHC 32V V8 architecture like in my 4.0, so I thought if I have these screens and the wrong oil being pushed through small passageways, it could be the same issue.

Last edited by PlatinumV8; 06-10-15 at 04:57 AM. Reason: add info
Old 06-10-15, 06:12 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I just went to have another look at my service history. It's been a while since I looked at it. So as it turns out, it shows as 5W20 since the day it was delivered.

Any thoughts?
There is a 5W20 Toyota oil. I remember the Toyota dealership mistakenly trying to sell it to me when I requested Synthetic. There has also been reports of Toyota dealerships not using Toyota oil and they often use whatever is cheapest for their oil change.

Old 06-10-15, 06:17 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by PlatinumV8
I just got a 2000 Platinum Edition from a dealer in Orlando. 90K on the clock. They did a service on this trade in where they replaced a leaking valve cover gasket.

The hesitation was there when I floored it during an evasive maneuver right after purchase. Sales guy blamed it was knocked out of gear. In traffic, pulled over and put in park and did not notice where the shifter was when it had the loss of power.

Happened again and again on long trip back to Michigan. Sales guy said warranty only covered 150 miles out of their Audi Dealership. Got better as the trip went on, thought, it's a Lexus, no biggie, it is probably something minor, the transmissions are bullet proof, something must be loose or need adjustment.

The guys on the LS400 side are pointing to bad capacitors in the ECU.

I am now thinking Audi put in whatever oil they use for their V8s.

Any thoughts Gentlemen? Also when it gets above 3K on the tac, it starts to wake up and then hang on!

Sometimes I jump off the line like a drag car and other times it is like an anchor was tossed out behind me for a few seconds. Snow mode is what I am using to make it smooth in traffic jams and parking lots.

Your 4.6 is of the same DOHC 32V V8 architecture like in my 4.0, so I thought if I have these screens and the wrong oil being pushed through small passageways, it could be the same issue.
Hesitation on acceleration has many causes. For your LS400 I would seek the advice of the forum members that own LS400s. The 4.6 liter engine is an entirely different engine design and the only thing it has in common is being a V8.
Old 06-10-15, 07:52 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
There is a 5W20 Toyota oil. I remember the Toyota dealership mistakenly trying to sell it to me when I requested Synthetic. There has also been reports of Toyota dealerships not using Toyota oil and they often use whatever is cheapest for their oil change.

My services before I purchased it, were all done at the Lexus dealer. I also notice that the 5W20 is not synthetic.
Old 06-10-15, 08:21 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by roadfrog
My services before I purchased it, were all done at the Lexus dealer. I also notice that the 5W20 is not synthetic.
Yes and after you acquired it and switched to synthetic oil that is probably when the problem occurred on initial oil change and then dissipated. This is typical of others who have done the same with cars that are equipped with VVT. In some cases when it gets bad enough with running dino oil exclusively over time the depot formation causes a dieseling like noise and the only cure is to service the screens.

This is probably the major reason to run synthetic oil so you don't have to deal with this issue ever.
Old 06-10-15, 09:17 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Yes and after you acquired it and switched to synthetic oil that is probably when the problem occurred on initial oil change and then dissipated. This is typical of others who have done the same with cars that are equipped with VVT. In some cases when it gets bad enough with running dino oil exclusively over time the depot formation causes a dieseling like noise and the only cure is to service the screens.

This is probably the major reason to run synthetic oil so you don't have to deal with this issue ever.
Makes sense.
Old 06-10-15, 10:26 AM
PlatinumV8
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Devh,

I am talking about VVT-i systems on LS V8s. I take offense at saying the 4.0 has nothing to do with the 4.3 or your 4.6. By telling me to ask on the 400 side, which I already have, you are asking me to leave.

I'm not some soft handed Lexus owner. I've changed timing belts, on these engines, by myself, owned a machining and fabricating shop that supplied Boeing and other DoD projects and was a Corvette girl until I switched to Lexus to get away from tickets.

I have enough trouble driving a Lexus in my ultra wealthy Big Three white collar neighborhood, I don't need you acting as de facto leader of the LS community.

So if you can now explain to me how the 4.0/4.3 only share the design feature of being a V8, with your gilt 4.6, I'm all ears to be schooled. Make sure to cite sources, Professor.

I wonder if this his how current year boards are modded, I might just leave the LS line for good. Too many crotchety types.

Debbie
Old 06-10-15, 10:59 AM
Devh
Racer

Devh,

I am talking about VVT-i systems on LS V8s. I take offense at saying the 4.0 has nothing to do with the 4.3 or your 4.6. By telling me to ask on the 400 side, which I already have, you are asking me to leave.

I'm not some soft handed Lexus owner. I've changed timing belts, on these engines, by myself, owned a machining and fabricating shop that supplied Boeing and other DoD projects and was a Corvette girl until I switched to Lexus to get away from tickets.

I have enough trouble driving a Lexus in my ultra wealthy Big Three white collar neighborhood, I don't need you acting as de facto leader of the LS community.

So if you can now explain to me how the 4.0/4.3 only share the design feature of being a V8, with your gilt 4.6, I'm all ears to be schooled. Make sure to cite sources, Professor.

I wonder if this his how current year boards are modded, I might just leave the LS line for good. Too many crotchety types.

Debbie
I think you are throwing way to many assumptions about my statement by putting words in my mouth and now disappointed that free speech that doesn't agree with you based on facts is not moderated. I simply gave you the best advice to solve your problem and that is to research past LS 400 issues as they will point you in the right direction then trying to solve your problem with a completely different engine that will only misdirect you. It would seem from your statement that you got more of the same from the LS 400 section as well. I'm sure there are many more knowledgeable people on that side of the forum that know those engines inside and out.

You are also making assumptions about the 4.6 liter having the same architecture as the engines before it in an attempt to come to sensible conclusions which is an exercise in futility by a gross oversimplification. The 460 engine is a completely different designed engine from the ground up, it is not a bored out 4.3 liter engine. There is more in common with the LS400 and LS 430 because they are from the same family of engines.
I highly suggest that you compare the two engines side by side then you will also come to the conclusion that they are vastly different in every way except both being cross plane V8s.

I will ask you this, do you think you can change the timing belts on a LS460 ?

Last edited by Devh; 06-10-15 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-10-15, 05:47 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I think you are throwing way to many assumptions about my statement by putting words in my mouth and now disappointed that free speech that doesn't agree with you based on facts is not moderated. I simply gave you the best advice to solve your problem and that is to research past LS 400 issues as they will point you in the right direction then trying to solve your problem with a completely different engine that will only misdirect you. It would seem from your statement that you got more of the same from the LS 400 section as well. I'm sure there are many more knowledgeable people on that side of the forum that know those engines inside and out.

You are also making assumptions about the 4.6 liter having the same architecture as the engines before it in an attempt to come to sensible conclusions which is an exercise in futility by a gross oversimplification. The 460 engine is a completely different designed engine from the ground up, it is not a bored out 4.3 liter engine. There is more in common with the LS400 and LS 430 because they are from the same family of engines.
I highly suggest that you compare the two engines side by side then you will also come to the conclusion that they are vastly different in every way except both being cross plane V8s.

I will ask you this, do you think you can change the timing belts on a LS460 ?
You handled that with a lot more class than I would have.
Old 06-10-15, 08:53 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I'm not a polite personality when it comes to my passion for cars but it's never personal.
In this case I think there was enough said to stand on it's own. To respond appropriately would ruin it.

Last edited by Devh; 06-10-15 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-11-15, 05:29 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

No kidding. I didn't see any thing in his post to warrant that kind of response from her..
Old 06-11-15, 06:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Luckily I'm here

Devh,

He's not asking you to leave...he's suggesting that you post your question in the appropriate subform. This is the LS460 forum, and as he explained the engines are completely different engines. Why would you take offense at the statement that the 4.0 is a different engine? Do you take offense at people saying the sky is blue or water is wet? These are facts.

The vast majority of the members here have never had an LS400...and wouldn't have any idea how to help you. I had one, but it was bought new and that was 17 years ago...so I have no idea how to help you.

The folks in the 400 forum all have 400s now, and they have them at an age where these things come up. Thats where you'll find guidance...not here.

Good for you. And that changes any of this how?

So this is about your insecurity. Got it.

If you want to gain knowledge from this forum or any forum, understand that everybody here is just an owner that enjoys posting about their car. No "mods" have even replied to you, its all just people talking. If you want people to take their time and energy to help you, people who's job it isn't to do that, then I would suggest that you approach folks with a little friendlier tone than you've displayed here. Nobody here owes you anything, and acting like that nobody will give you anything either.

The only one being "crotchety" here is you, and why would any of us care if you "leave the LS line for good"?

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-11-15 at 06:26 AM.
Old 06-11-15, 07:27 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Devh,
By telling me to ask on the 400 side, which I already have, you are asking me to leave.
Debbie
Wow! A mind reader? She knew from Devh's words he wanted her to leave! (And I thought he did it so gently ) In this world of half empty glasses, I am always amazed at the attitude of some people. An angry person would assume such a statement.

The poster got the correct response, but didn't like the answer. We are talking about a 15 year old car with 90K. The forum built a place to discuss the LS400 car. But, once again, the answers there were not satisfactory.

I've learned in my old age, that you can not please some of the people any of the time. Chalk it up and aim for the next ball.
Old 06-11-15, 07:27 AM
Devh
Racer

Just out of curiosity I searched her posts. If you ever wondered why the LS460s are falling from the sky it's because some people cannot see the tree in the forest.
This thread was started by a member who has a problem we never seen before which is most likely related to a traction control issue but now because of our oil discussions it was spread on the other section of the forum like its a widespread issue and there is an epidemic of owners who are coming close to being rear ended.

This is not the first time this kind of misinformation is getting spread by someone skimming posts and then sensationalizing our issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loss of Power/Hesitation after turn