LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Input on LS460 2008-2010 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-15, 12:14 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
Question Input on LS460 2008-2010 Purchase

Hi! I'm looking for any feedback on a potential purchase of a SWB 2008 - 2010 LS460. The LWB is longer than I'd like. I might be willing to consider a 2007, but I'd prefer the laminated front side windows standard in 2008+ (after a certain VIN) and assume the first modl year will have more "bugs" than subsequent model years. Here's my wish list:

* Mark Levinson - required
* Comfort Plus - required
* Pre-collision/Dynamic Radar Cruise Control - highly desired, but because of its rarity in SWB's might have to forgo.
* Colors: won't consider gold-type (beige) exterior, and am bored with silver exterior. I prefer black interiors, but am flexible.
* Mileage: 80K or less. Around 70K max is the most desirable maximum. Too low, and prices get exorbitant (in my opinion) for a reliable vehicle like the LS460.
* Extended warranty or CPO: probable. That's just the kind of guy I am.
* Budget: Low $30K's max excluding taxes, fees. The less money, the better, naturally.

I like the 2010 model year for a few reasons compared to the 2007-2009 MY's:

* Ease of streaming music from phone.
* USB Port that presumably could play music from a memory stick.
* Supposedly better navigation, although I expect to mostly use my smartphone with its superior technology. At some point, I might buy the hardware to mirror the phone screen to the NAV screen.
* The 2010 Comfort Plus package adds a rear seat massage and semi-aniline leather trim. If someone can provide more details about how the semi-aniline trim compares to the luxury trim in the LWB, I'd appreciate it!

I'll provide separate posts for the vehicles that look tempting. Thanks!

Last edited by Gbp; 06-10-15 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-01-15, 12:42 PM
Tonymlt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Search apps

I'd use the AUTO TRADER app to input your criteria and you'll get email or texts sent to you on your hits. That is how I found mine quickly. If by chance you are a USAA member you can use their car buying service...aids in finding the car you want, better loan rates and their EXTENDED WARRANTY is great with NO DEDUCTIBLES compared to other warranties.

I was able to get a sweet deal on the color I wanted--mileage was in the low 90s...a bit higher than I wanted but figuered it will last another 200k miles so no worries...but the price was sweet and runs like new!

Good luck on your search! tony

Originally Posted by Gbp
Hi! I'm looking for any feedback on a potential purchase of a SWB 2008 - 2010 LS460. The LWB is longer than I'd like. I might be willing to consider a 2007, but I'd prefer the laminated front side windows standard in 2008+ (after a certain VIN) and assume the first modl year will have more "bugs" than subsequent model years. Here's my wish list:

* Mark Levinson - required
* Comfort Plus - required
* Pre-collision/Dynamic Radar Cruise Control - highly desired, but because of its rarity in SWB's might have to forgo.
* Colors: won't consider gold-type (beige) exterior, and am bored with silver exterior. I prefer black interiors, but am flexible.
* Mileage: 80K or less. Around 70K max is the most desirable maximum. Too low, and prices get exorbitant (in my opinion) for a reliable vehicle like the LS460.
* Extended warranty or CPO: probable. That's just the kind of guy I am.
* Budget: Low $30K's max excluding taxes, fees. The less money, the better, naturally.

I like the 2010 model year for a few reasons compared to the 2007-2009 MY's:

* Ease of streaming music from phone.
* USB Port that presumably could play music from a memory stick.
* Supposedly better navigation, although I expect to mostly use my smartphone with its superior technology. At some point, I might buy the hardware to mirror the phone screen to the NAV screen.
* The 2010 Comfort Plus package adds a rear seat massage and semi-aniline leather trim. If someone can provide more details about how the semi-aniline trim compares to the luxury trim in the LWB, I'd appreciate it!

I'll provide separate posts for the vehicles that look tempting. Thanks!
Old 05-01-15, 12:48 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Default 2010 LS460 Posdibility

Here's s car I'm considering:

http://www.harborchevrolet.com/auto/...07-ca/2972375/

The Carfax and Lexus service history look good, except for a service gap between the in service date and 30K miles. Perhaps servicing was done since the car was subsequently sold as a CPO vehicle. After that, the vehicle looks like it had regular service performed. I expect it will eventually need control arms.

The dealer has come down $2K in price over the last 3 weeks or so. I'm trying to negotiate a bit lower price and will make the purchase contingent on a satisfactory (to me) PPI (pre-purchase inspection) and visual inspection. I'm not local, so I'd fly down to see the car.

I welcome any thoughts about this vehicle and the pricing. As it doesn't have DRCC and I'm in no rush to buy, I'd only purchase the car if it were a great deal. Thanks!
Old 05-01-15, 12:55 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tonymlt
I'd use the AUTO TRADER app to input your criteria and you'll get email or texts sent to you on your hits. That is how I found mine quickly. If by chance you are a USAA member you can use their car buying service...aids in finding the car you want, better loan rates and their EXTENDED WARRANTY is great with NO DEDUCTIBLES compared to other warranties.

I was able to get a sweet deal on the color I wanted--mileage was in the low 90s...a bit higher than I wanted but figuered it will last another 200k miles so no worries...but the price was sweet and runs like new!

Good luck on your search! tony
Thanks, Tony. I'm using Autotrader, Carsdotcom, and Cargurus to try to cover my bases. I've also bern in touch with a few Lexus dealers, asking them to alert me if they see an LS460 that meets my requirements. Interestingly, it seems one of our members is selling his 2010 LS460.

Last edited by Gbp; 05-01-15 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-01-15, 01:20 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Hi. I'm a fan of Cargurus. I agree the 2010 would be the choice for the bluetooth audio, usb, side mirror turn signal and a few other items.
Old 05-01-15, 02:12 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by R Z
Hi. I'm a fan of Cargurus. I agree the 2010 would be the choice for the bluetooth audio, usb, side mirror turn signal and a few other items.
Thanks! I believe personalized settings are now customizable by the owner, with no visit to the dealer or separate app necessary.
Old 05-01-15, 02:21 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Default Considering Final Offer from Dealer 2010 LS460

Originally Posted by Gbp
Here's s car I'm considering:

http://www.harborchevrolet.com/auto/...07-ca/2972375/

The Carfax and Lexus service history look good, except for a service gap between the in service date and 30K miles. Perhaps servicing was done since the car was subsequently sold as a CPO vehicle. After that, the vehicle looks like it had regular service performed. I expect it will eventually need control arms.

The dealer has come down $2K in price over the last 3 weeks or so. I'm trying to negotiate a bit lower price and will make the purchase contingent on a satisfactory (to me) PPI (pre-purchase inspection) and visual inspection. I'm not local, so I'd fly down to see the car.

I welcome any thoughts about this vehicle and the pricing. As it doesn't have DRCC and I'm in no rush to buy, I'd only purchase the car if it were a great deal. Thanks!
OTD cash of $33K, including taxes and fees, not including possible extended warranty. Any thoughts about the car appreciated. I have to decide whether to forgo DRCC or wait for a SWB that has that option to surface. Any opinions appreciated. Thanks!
Old 05-01-15, 04:25 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Doggone it, the 2010 I'm looking at doesn't have park assist, much less the advanced parking guidance feature. Please let me know your opinions on the usefulness of park assist. Thanks!

Edit: the car has intuitive parking assist, which comes with Comfort or Comfort Plus. It doesn't have the advanced parking guidance package. That's just the self-parking feature, correct? Please let me know. Thanks!

Last edited by Gbp; 05-01-15 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-01-15, 05:41 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That appears to be a good car. They only make about 10,000 shipped to the states each year so actually they are quite limited. I recently did an 8 month search for my ideal car and never found it. But I still wouldn't say I settled. Found a 2011 awd that is same color and options as this one. I paid $33,400 for mine
Old 05-01-15, 06:12 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Thanks, Unsober1, for your input. I just put down a $1K refundable deposit to hold the vehicle. PPI will happen on Monday.

Edit: you got a great deal, even more so if $33.4K was OTD!

Last edited by Gbp; 05-01-15 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-01-15, 07:55 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

$33.4k was the negotiated price, then I traded in my ls430 and a rx300. Got outta there much cheaper. I bought my car in February and Kelly blue book on it was $37k. Mine had 62k on the odometer. You are getting yourself a mighty fine deal too!

Last edited by Unsober1; 05-01-15 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Adding something else
Old 05-02-15, 07:45 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

There are deals to be had if you look around and can have the patience to sit back and negotiate. I was able to score my 08 LS460 with 52K miles for my LS430 trade and $12K cash bottom line out the door. Good luck!
Old 05-02-15, 08:31 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by R Z
There are deals to be had if you look around and can have the patience to sit back and negotiate. I was able to score my 08 LS460 with 52K miles for my LS430 trade and $12K cash bottom line out the door. Good luck!
Thanks! Given the Mark Levinson and Comfort Plus packages (no advanced parking guidance), I think $30.2K for 61K miles is an excellent deal based on similarly configured cars that have shown up over the last few months. It's always possible I could do better, though.

Time works in my favor, but at some point, I need to stop looking. The biggest question for me is whether this price is good enough to stop looking for the ideally same SWB model year that also has DRCC. Those seem exceedingly rare. I've seen 2 over the last few months, but they were earlier model years, and one (2009) didn't have Comfort Plus. The other, a 2008, had everything, but a color combination I wasn't crazy about. I like the 2010 refresh anyway.

One thing I've noticed is that it's not uncommon, especially with non-Lexus dealers, to describe the add-on packages incorrectly. I've seen a number of ads claiming the car either has Comfort Plus, cooled, heated front and rear seats, and more ambiguous phrasing where the car just had the Comfort package.
Old 05-02-15, 09:39 AM
Unsober1
Pole Position

dealers list the options on these cars wrong all the time. Look carefully at the pictures and you can see little hints as to what options the car has. There is a great post on here that show ways to identify the options by pictures. occasionally you can find ones that dont list all the options and you can score a better deal because most people dont know how much that option costs / adds to the value of the car. 2010-2012 cars has the refresh so they will be selling for more If you want to save money, then get an 09 or older. but for me, I wanted the options that 2010 and new brought to the table.

Of course the real test will be when you are checking out the car, but I say you are going in the right direction
Old 05-02-15, 09:58 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Unsober1
dealers list the options on these cars wrong all the time. Look carefully at the pictures and you can see little hints as to what options the car has. There is a great post on here that show ways to identify the options by pictures. occasionally you can find ones that dont list all the options and you can score a better deal because most people dont know how much that option costs / adds to the value of the car. 2010-2012 cars has the refresh so they will be selling for more If you want to save money, then get an 09 or older. but for me, I wanted the options that 2010 and new brought to the table.

Of course the real test will be when you are checking out the car, but I say you are going in the right direction
Thanks! Could you give me some details on the semi-aniline leather trim compared with the standard leather, and how you (or rather your rear seat passengers like the rear seat adjustment, massage, and cooling functions of the Comfort Plus package. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Input on LS460 2008-2010 Purchase