LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

DIY waterpump?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-15, 09:45 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Well it better be Canadian beer! Cuz, no offence but American beer is nasty! LOL.
Bud, it's whatever you like!
And I gotta admit, I'm not the biggest fan of domestics myself.
Enjoy a great IPA/craft though!
Old 06-01-15, 10:51 PM
LexusManny
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Broken top nipple on radiator

I guess that top nipple is easy to break. My mechanic called me to give me the bad news that I needed a new radiator because the top nipple broke when they were trying to replace the water pump. Koyorad $289.10 plus labor $241.90 plus coolant plus tax. Total $585. Arghhhh.

It caught me by surprise that this happened. I wasn't expecting it. I didn't research the part to be careful not to break the nipple on the radiator. Double arghhh.
Old 06-02-15, 08:11 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusManny
I guess that top nipple is easy to break. My mechanic called me to give me the bad news that I needed a new radiator because the top nipple broke when they were trying to replace the water pump. Koyorad $289.10 plus labor $241.90 plus coolant plus tax. Total $585. Arghhhh.

It caught me by surprise that this happened. I wasn't expecting it. I didn't research the part to be careful not to break the nipple on the radiator. Double arghhh.
Seems to me that they should paying for it since THEY broke it.

FWIW, I replaced my rad with a unit on EBAY that had a lifetime warranty and only paid 75 bucks for it (free shipping too) and made in USA. Labour to replace it should only take an hour or less.
Old 06-02-15, 08:13 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexusManny

Wait...they are the ones working on your car, they were in the process of replacing your water pump, THEY accidentally leaned on the hose nipple and now YOU have to pay to replace the radiator? Am I understanding this correctly? If that is the case, you shouldn't be responsible for that replacement cost at all!

First of all, indeed the nipple becomes a small obstacle when replacing the pump. I cant tell you how many times I would have to alter my positioning in order not to damage/break the nipple. As many have said here in the forum, it is east to forget about, lean on/hit and break it.
Secondly, that's an awful high price for a radiator. If my memory serves correctly, Chris (Raodfrog) accidentally broke his rad nipple and had to replace his, but purchased his for between $50-80.
Lastly, make sure they are using Toyota coolant, as I've read and learned that OEM fluids with this vehicle are best whenever changing/flushing.
Old 06-02-15, 08:14 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Seems to me that they should paying for it since THEY broke it.

FWIW, I replaced my rad with a unit on EBAY that had a lifetime warranty and only paid 75 bucks for it (free shipping too) and made in USA. Labour to replace it should only take an hour or less.
HA!! RF beat me to it! Drats!!!
Old 06-02-15, 10:11 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CRowe14
HA!! RF beat me to it! Drats!!!
LOL.

Here's the rad I bought. $69.95 w/ free shipping and lifetime warranty:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RADIATOR-FOR-LEXUS-FITS-LS460-4-6-V8-8CYL-/251394494386?hash=item3a88478fb2&vxp=mtr
Old 03-13-16, 07:41 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks a lot for sharing, sounds very good..
wish you could produce a youtube video on this

I did this job back in September. It's simple:

1. After you get all the engine covers off and drain the coolant, you want to remove the coolant reservoir tank.

2. Remove the air inlets.

3. Remove the serpentine belt

4. Disconnect the dipstick tube. You aren't removing it, you're just moving it aside.

5. Remove the water pump pulley.....YOU DON'T NEED a special tool (SST), mine removed easily with just a socket and a pry bar or screwdriver to hold the pulley in place.

6. Remove the water pump. When you replace the pump, I would make sure you torque the bolts all in proper sequence. All the bolts have different torque specs. Lots of diagrams on google that will tell you the specs and sequence.

I also replaced all my hoses and all told, I think it took me about 2 hours (including refilling the coolant and purging the air), and cost me 75 dollars for the pump and hoses.

MAKE SURE YOU USE TOYOTA COOLANT. Or, you can also use Zerex Asian Formula coolant that you can find anywhere. But FWIW, Toyota coolant was only a dollar more per jug, so why bother?
Old 06-04-16, 08:44 AM
Joe2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Write up. Also identified leaking water pump during fuel pressure leak recall. They asked for $800. Replaced mine from above link on ebay for $37. Had some problem removing the thermostat housing. The refill tank had to be removed and when I removed the hose going to the radiator the molded appendage came off with the hose. Had to drill for a 1/8 NF27 brass pipe from Home Depot to screw into the radiator top with a brass nut for more surface area and JB Weld several coats to get a strong fillet for the connection. Needed a new hose clamp and was back in business.
Old 08-16-17, 10:33 PM
davisk
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Reviving an old thread here, but does anyone have the torque sequence? Searched Google and CL but I couldn't find it. Could have missed it....

I know the torque specs are ln this thread but not necessarily the sequence. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-17-17, 07:31 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by davisk
Reviving an old thread here, but does anyone have the torque sequence? Searched Google and CL but I couldn't find it. Could have missed it....

I know the torque specs are ln this thread but not necessarily the sequence. Thanks in advance!
I PM'd you. Lexus doesn't have a sequence, just torque values. I would tighten the A bolts first, then B, then C.
Old 08-18-17, 07:15 PM
davisk
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I PM'd you. Lexus doesn't have a sequence, just torque values. I would tighten the A bolts first, then B, then C.

No wonder why I couldn't find it! I'm used to torque sequences such as heads etc.. wanted to make sure before hand. Thanks for the quick reply Roadfrog!
Old 08-18-17, 08:45 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

No problem!
Old 11-27-17, 08:36 PM
chris07ls
Driver

Water pump leak
2007 with 140k miles - am I due for a new water pump? Bearings sound good.
Old 11-28-17, 08:35 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, it would appear that your water pump is beginning to weep, as evidenced by the crystallization around the gasket.
Old 11-28-17, 08:43 PM
chris07ls
Driver

Last night I ordered a new water pump, upper and lower rad hoses and belt. Now I'm thinking I should have ordered a new tensioner. Any thoughts on replacing the tensioner? Also, can you remove the lower coolant hose from the radiator from the top or do you have to remove the undercover shield and get to it from underneath the car? I'm getting old and hate crawling underneath the car - I did my 27th oil change on this car today and realized the mind is willing but the body not so much.

Quick Reply: DIY waterpump?