LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

DIY waterpump?

Old 05-17-15, 09:15 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 503 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusManny
Thanks again. I'll order the Bando
You'll never go wrong with Bando or Gates.
Old 05-18-15, 04:37 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I had some down time this afternoon and took the engine covers off...wow! Dirty!
I also decided to remove the air intakes and see if I could figure out where the water pump is.
I'm having a hard time, so I figured I'd take a photo and place it here and get some assistance from one or two of you guys **clears throat rather loudly** Roadfrog!
I noticed and you'll be able to notice in the photo, that there appears to be dried up pink residue in the compartment of the drive belts. I assume this means there is a leak. Where exactly is the water pump?
Attached Thumbnails DIY waterpump?-imag1606.jpg  
Old 05-18-15, 04:54 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

LOL. Yep, there's your indicator....dried pink crystallyzed coolant.

The water pump is the unit at the top with the four bolts.
Old 05-18-15, 05:59 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Agree, water pump is shot. I have seen this before.
Old 05-18-15, 09:09 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, this is what I have thus far, in regards to items I need to purchase.

The water pump:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Water-Pump-W-Gasket-for-Toyota-Lexus-4-6L-5-0L-P1046-/171652702085?fits=Model%3ALS460&hash=item27f74c5f85&vxp=mtr&rmvSB=true&ul_ref=http%253A%252F%252Frover.ebay.com%252Frover%252F1%252F711-53200-19255-0%252F1%253Ftype%253D3%2526campId%253D5336108637%2526toolId%253D10001%2526customId%253Di9us05qm86000azq00004%2526mpre%253Dhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.ebay.com%25252Fitm%25252FNew-Water-Pump-W-Gasket-for-Toyota-Lexus-4-6L-5-0L-P1046-%25252F171652702085%25253Ffits%25253DModel%2525253ALS460%252526hash%25253Ditem27f74c5f85%252526vxp%25253Dmtr%2526srcrot%253D711-53200-19255-0%2526rvr_id%253D832900903776
Bando Drive belt;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Bando-Accessory-Drive-Serpentine-Belt-6PK2100B-/291454671715?fits=Year%3A2007%7CMake%3ALexus%7CModel%3ALS460&hash=item43dc0d5b63&vxp=mtr
I saw that Roadfrog mentioned the replacement of hoses but im not sure which ones. The large hose under my hood seems to be in great condition. Is there something I should be looking at/for? And how important is it that I replace the drive belt?
I know this may seem easy for some, but im asking as many questions as possible so I go in pretty informed.
As far as draining the fluid, is from the basin enough or from the radiator? Im guessing both. Where would the drain hose be on the radiator?
The belt: Pry off with a tool or pull it off by hand?
Moving dip stick tube aside? You mean that piece/unit that its attached to?
The coolant: Did you order that online or purchase from Toyota?
Any other information, please feel free to include.
Now it looks like I will have an oil change as well as a water pump to change out!
Thanks for the help!
Old 05-19-15, 07:15 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CRowe14
Ok, this is what I have thus far, in regards to items I need to purchase.

The water pump:

New Water Pump w Gasket for Toyota Lexus 4 6L 5 0L P1046 | eBay

Bando Drive belt;

New Bando Accessory Drive Serpentine Belt 6PK2100B | eBay

I saw that Roadfrog mentioned the replacement of hoses but im not sure which ones. The large hose under my hood seems to be in great condition. Is there something I should be looking at/for? And how important is it that I replace the drive belt?
I know this may seem easy for some, but im asking as many questions as possible so I go in pretty informed.
As far as draining the fluid, is from the basin enough or from the radiator? Im guessing both. Where would the drain hose be on the radiator?
The belt: Pry off with a tool or pull it off by hand?
Any other information, please feel free to include.
Now it looks like I will have an oil change as well as a water pump to change out!
Thanks for the help!
No fear in asking too many questions. That's what CL is all about. You can do this!

Roadfrog mentioned the replacement of hoses but im not sure which ones. The large hose under my hood seems to be in great condition. Is there something I should be looking at/for? And how important is it that I replace the drive belt?
Hoses can always "look" good on the outside, but it's the inside you can't see. It's your call. Rubber wears out. I replaced the upper and lower hoses. They were almost 8 years old and had 80k miles. Since I already had the coolant drained, it was good preventative maintenance.

As for the drivebelt, I really would replace it. It's extremely simple to replace and it will slip, or break at some point, leaving you completely stranded if it does. It can also cause collateral damage if it snaps. All you need to do is place a socket on the idler pulley and turn it to loosen the pulley and replace the belt. Since you have to replace the water pump, the belt will be off anyway, so replacing it with a new one is a no-brainer.

The drain **** is at the bottom of the rad. Drain the fluid from the reservoir tank as well. This will not remove ALL of the fluid from the system, but it replace most of it, especially since you'll be removing the water pump and any fluid from that area of that engine. There are drain ***** on either side of the block, but they are very hard to get at, so I let them be.

Moving dip stick tube aside? You mean that piece/unit that its attached to?
The dipstick tube has a mounting flange and is bolted in place to the engine bay. Just remove the bolt and move the dipstick tube aside to gain access to the area of the water pump.

Bought it from my Toyota dealer. Price was reasonable and only about a dollar a jug more than an off brand from Walmart. It will likely be already diluted, so don't add water. It will say on the jug.

Do you have the specs for torque sequence and torque spec for all the mounting bolts on the water pump? If not, there are plenty of diagrams on the net. Just Google, " LS460 water pump torque sequence" and then click "images".

Too bad you don't live closer, I'd come give you a hand!

If you have any other questions, ask away!
Old 05-19-15, 07:25 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Here ya go pal....

Bolt A 15 ft-lb
Bolt B 17 ft-lb
Bolt C 35 ft-lb
The following 2 users liked this post by roadfrog:
Ezlee600 (05-31-20), FreddyG (07-20-21)
Old 05-19-15, 08:22 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
No fear in asking too many questions. That's what CL is all about. You can do this!

Hoses can always "look" good on the outside, but it's the inside you can't see. It's your call. Rubber wears out. I replaced the upper and lower hoses. They were almost 8 years old and had 80k miles. Since I already had the coolant drained, it was good preventative maintenance.

As for the drivebelt, I really would replace it. It's extremely simple to replace and it will slip, or break at some point, leaving you completely stranded if it does. It can also cause collateral damage if it snaps. All you need to do is place a socket on the idler pulley and turn it to loosen the pulley and replace the belt. Since you have to replace the water pump, the belt will be off anyway, so replacing it with a new one is a no-brainer.

The drain **** is at the bottom of the rad. Drain the fluid from the reservoir tank as well. This will not remove ALL of the fluid from the system, but it replace most of it, especially since you'll be removing the water pump and any fluid from that area of that engine. There are drain ***** on either side of the block, but they are very hard to get at, so I let them be.

The dipstick tube has a mounting flange and is bolted in place to the engine bay. Just remove the bolt and move the dipstick tube aside to gain access to the area of the water pump.

Bought it from my Toyota dealer. Price was reasonable and only about a dollar a jug more than an off brand from Walmart. It will likely be already diluted, so don't add water. It will say on the jug.

Do you have the specs for torque sequence and torque spec for all the mounting bolts on the water pump? If not, there are plenty of diagrams on the net. Just Google, " LS460 water pump torque sequence" and then click "images".

Too bad you don't live closer, I'd come give you a hand!

If you have any other questions, ask away!
Man..I cant thank you enough for all of this information...you said to ask away...so I will LOL!!!

Hoses: I will replace them since i'll be there and it just makes sense, as mine are 8 years old, 67k.
How many hoses are there? I can look but I don't wish to miss any. I imagine the covers on the bottom will have to be removed in order to access the hoses on the bottom? Where did you get your hoses?

Drive belt: I will replace this as well for the same reasons as the hoses, however, my radiator was replaced in November by the dealer bc during an inspection, a nipple was broken by a tech, so they had to replace the rad and put in new fluid. Perhaps ill call the dealership and see if the put on new hoses and drive belt..OR should I still replace the belt anyways due to the possibility that coolant got onto it? If I end up replacing it, if I understand you correctly, loosening the tensioner pulley will enable the belt to come off?

Dipstick (Im assuming the oil dipstick tube which is attached to another unit off to the left of the water pump area) placement: Gotcha!

Adding fluid/purging:
Once the repair is complete and I add fluid, do I put any in the rad itself AND the coolant basin, or just the basin? Also, what is the purging process to assure there aren't any air bubbles?

Wish I was closer, as I could always use a hand.
Just have to tell my wife to give me some quiet time and keep my daughter occupied while I do this, as I hate being distracted while working!!

And for the diagram, thanks a great deal bud!! Gotta buy a torque socket!
Old 05-19-15, 09:11 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Hoses: I will replace them since i'll be there and it just makes sense, as mine are 8 years old, 67k.
How many hoses are there? I can look but I don't wish to miss any. I imagine the covers on the bottom will have to be removed in order to access the hoses on the bottom? Where did you get your hoses?
There's an upper rad hose and a lower rad hose. I purchased both on Ebay. Both were Gates branded and are good quality. I think I paid about 18 bucks for both.

Drive belt: I will replace this as well for the same reasons as the hoses, however, my radiator was replaced in November by the dealer bc during an inspection, a nipple was broken by a tech, so they had to replace the rad and put in new fluid. Perhaps ill call the dealership and see if the put on new hoses and drive belt..OR should I still replace the belt anyways due to the possibility that coolant got onto it? If I end up replacing it, if I understand you correctly, loosening the tensioner pulley will enable the belt to come off?
Couldn't hurt to ask them. If they did replace any of the items, I'd skip replacing them, even if they did get coolant on them. Oil is what's harmful to rubber, so no worries there. To remove the belt, you simply place an appropriate sized wrench or socket on the tensioner pulley bolt and turn anti-clockwise to release the tension and remove the belt:

Dipstick (Im assuming the oil dipstick tube which is attached to another unit off to the left of the water pump area) placement: Gotcha!
Indeed. The bolt is attached to the thermostat housing. Can't miss it.

Adding fluid/purging:
Once the repair is complete and I add fluid, do I put any in the rad itself AND the coolant basin, or just the basin? Also, what is the purging process to assure there aren't any air bubbles?
There's a bleed screw on top of the upper rad hose. The procedure for bleeding is thus:

NOTE: before adding coolant, turn the A/C switch OFF.

(a) Remove the vent screw on the upper rad hose.

(b) Tighten the radiator drain **** plug.

(c) Add coolant into the radiator reservoir until it reaches the "FULL" line on the reservoir

(d) Squeeze the upper and lower radiator hoses several times by hand, and then check the coolant level.
If the coolant level is low, add coolant.

(e) Re-install the vent plug and tighten to 13 in/lbs (NOT ft lbs - INCH/LBS!)

(f) While idling the engine for approximately 10 minutes, make sure the coolant remains at the FULL line by adding coolant as necessary.

(g) After idling the engine for 10 minutes, add coolant until it reaches the B line at the base of the reservoir's filler neck as seen here:

(h) Close the radiator reservoir cap, and run the engine at 1500 to 2000 rpm for 5 minutes.

(i) Stop the engine and wait until the coolant cools down to ambient temperature.

(j) ) Check the coolant level. If the coolant level is below the FULL line, add coolant until it reaches the FULL line.

That's pretty much it. Couple of things:
1. As your dealer and several of us here at CL have found out the hard way, the upper nipple that the reservoir hoses attaches to on the rad, is easy to break. It's plastic. Be VERY careful around that area. All I did was lean on it and it snapped, necessitating a rad replacement.

2. As for torque wrenches, they are easily obtained at Home Depot, Lowes, and even Harbor Freight. HF will likely be the least expensive option.
Old 05-19-15, 09:35 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Depending on mileage, I'd replace the belt tensioner while you are in there. If 70k-up, it is a good idea to replace it now.
Old 05-19-15, 09:58 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

I cant thank you enough good Sir!!
I just spoke with the dealership that did the repair back in Nov '14, and she said that the following was replaced:

(1) Radiator
Coolant Flush
(1) Drive Belt
(1) Hose replaced: Said it was the top hose.

So from the sounds of it, I should purchase a bottom rad hose, coolant and the pump.
I'm headed to the local Harbor Freight and will pick up coolant on lunch.
Thanks again!

Tec80: Would this be the same thing as a tensioner pulley?
Old 05-19-15, 10:05 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I cant thank you enough good Sir!!
I just spoke with the dealership that did the repair back in Nov '14, and she said that the following was replaced:

(1) Radiator
Coolant Flush
(1) Drive Belt
(1) Hose replaced: Said it was the top hose.

So from the sounds of it, I should purchase a bottom rad hose, coolant and the pump.
I'm headed to the local Harbor Freight and will pick up coolant on lunch.
Thanks again!

Tec80: Would this be the same thing as a tensioner pulley?
Yes, the tensioner pulley is what he's referring to. Also, I assume you meant torque wrench when referring to Harbor Freight. Get your coolant from Toyota.
Old 05-19-15, 10:11 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Yes, the tensioner pulley is what he's referring to. Also, I assume you meant torque wrench when referring to Harbor Freight. Get your coolant from Toyota.
Lol...my fault for vague communication!
Yes, HF for the wrench and Toyota for the fluid.
Is there a certain brand I should be searching for in regards to the pulley? And what's a good price?
Old 05-19-15, 10:14 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Lol...my fault for vague communication!
Yes, HF for the wrench and Toyota for the fluid.
Is there a certain brand I should be searching for in regards to the pulley? And what's a good price?
If it were me I would stick with a genuine Toyota tensioner . There have been reports from other Toyotas in the past that had issues with the aftermarket.
Old 05-19-15, 10:18 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-OEM-1660438020-Idler-Pulley-Drive-Belt-Idler-Pulley-16604-38020-/111619047240?fits=Model%3ALS460&hash=item19fd037f48&vxp=mtr

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY waterpump?