LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone change/flush transmission fluid themselves?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-15, 10:13 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by berezleon
Lexus in Bellevue WA quoted me for $500 for transmission work--whatever is the quote I won't trust them they did the job -- they might do nothing and you won't be able to prove anything. For $150 I doubt they change the filter --they just change 3 qt of fluid ($30.00) and leave ~ 120.00 as their hourly rate.

And don't be so naïve "Toyota will be responsible"--responsible for what? If something goes wrong with transmission even 3 days later after the service they will say "We did the service but why transmission failed we don't know, we didn't break it--you simply have bad transmission" and I doubt you can prove anything.

My sister came to Lex dealer just to get a new Navigation DVD. She paid, they installed new DVD and DVD couldn't read the disc. They inserted her original DVD and it didn't read as well. They took car to their service and hour later they stated "you nav doesn't work. you need new nav at $1500". They didn't want to hear anything they messed something up --"we didn't break it, we just changed DVD, it's not hour fault". Eventually, after my sister escaled this to everyone at that bs dealer they took car back to the service, did something (I believe they reset the nav) and navigation worked again and she drove away
The title of the thread is "fluid change and flush". Therefore, I was indeed referring to a drain/fill as you stated. Obviously a filter, gasket, etc will cost more. When I stated that Toyota would be responsible, I wasn't referring to a catastrophic failure and I'm not sure why you went to that extreme. I was simply stating that other more subtle issues could arise (improper filling and levels, stripped threads, etc etc). The service also shows up on the vehicles history (even if done by Toyota and not Lexus). FWIW, I could see my LS being serviced while I sat in the waiting room and can vouch that fluid was changed. No.....I could not see the condition of the fluid, nor do I care so long as the fluid was changed. I would expect that if the fluid had been questionable or obviously contaminated and so on, that they would have advised me.
Old 07-26-15, 06:03 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
The title of the thread is "fluid change and flush". Therefore, I was indeed referring to a drain/fill as you stated. Obviously a filter, gasket, etc will cost more. When I stated that Toyota would be responsible, I wasn't referring to a catastrophic failure and I'm not sure why you went to that extreme. I was simply stating that other more subtle issues could arise (improper filling and levels, stripped threads, etc etc). The service also shows up on the vehicles history (even if done by Toyota and not Lexus). FWIW, I could see my LS being serviced while I sat in the waiting room and can vouch that fluid was changed. No.....I could not see the condition of the fluid, nor do I care so long as the fluid was changed. I would expect that if the fluid had been questionable or obviously contaminated and so on, that they would have advised me.
Oh I don't know why, but I always thought that you had paid to have your transmission flushed, not simply drained and refilled. The $150.00 makes a bit more sense now...3-4 quarts of fluid that maybe costs the dealer $18.00 and the rest is labor. And you sat there and watched them - how long did it take them to complete the job once they got it in on he lift? Fifteen minutes? Twenty? I think the drain and fill option is a great way to go.
Old 07-26-15, 01:47 PM
berezleon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if I sound to aggressive... I just don't like dealers who screw people who want to take good care of their cars... I somehow thought you talk about filter/gasket change. I never liked dealers and try to avoid them at all costs but during last 2 months had couple visits there and it remind me in full why I don't like them. The biggest issue I had was "vehicle pulling right" --if somebody interested in my adventure I can post it.

As far the transmission oil change --if you see the vehicle that's good. On the other hand you just changed 3 liters of fluid out of 12 and no filter change and you didn't see what kind of fluid came out so you don't know if it makes sense to do more change--but it's definitely better than nothing.

Thank you!
Old 05-13-16, 02:24 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

I made a mistake on my last tranny drain and fill...I overfilled it by accident. I blame it on a machine I was using to fill the tranny (and me not bothering to do the fluid check afterwards). I ended up overfilling it by about a quart. The only reason I even noticed it was because today I put the car up in the air and I noticed the pan gasket was seaping a little bit. Weird I thought...what would cause that? The first thing I thought of was that I overfilled it...heated it up, did the check and sure enough around a quart came out.

I drove with my tranny overfilled by a quart for 15,000 miles. It drove fine the entire time...not a slip, not a bump, nothing funny. But there was so much fluid in there - with nowhere to go - that it finally started pushing its way out of the pan gasket. It's good now.

If I was going to screw it up, it's best that it's overfilled and not under filled. If it was under filled I'd be replacing the transmission right now. Overfilling didn't bother it much at all. If the tranny had a vent tube on top (and wasn't an air tight sealed unti), the fluid would have just flowed out of that vent tube....which has happened to me before.
Old 05-13-16, 02:38 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

If I was going to screw it up, it's best that it's overfilled and not under filled. If it was under filled I'd be replacing the transmission right now. Overfilling didn't bother it much at all. If the tranny had a vent tube on top (and wasn't an air tight sealed unti), the fluid would have just flowed out of that vent tube....which has happened to me before.
Hmmmm I don't know about that buddy. If it were UNDER filled, you would have likely noticed an issue right away, in that the transmission would have been slow to shift, slow to engage into D or R, etc. OVER filling would possibly lead to foaming (not good), and too much fluid can lead to excess pressures which causes damage and fluid starvation.
Old 05-13-16, 02:43 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Hmmmm I don't know about that buddy. If it were UNDER filled, you would have likely noticed an issue right away, in that the transmission would have been slow to shift, slow to engage into D or R, etc. OVER filling would possibly lead to foaming (not good), and too much fluid can lead to excess pressures which causes damage and fluid starvation.
Yeah it was only overfilled by maybe a quart, I imagine if it was 3 quarts I'd be in trouble.
Old 05-13-16, 04:42 PM
berezleon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I made a mistake on my last tranny drain and fill...I overfilled it by accident. I blame it on a machine I was using to fill the tranny (and me not bothering to do the fluid check afterwards). I ended up .

I think you should be fine. If you look up to the thread I put it somewhere that I bought LS460 2007 last year and while changing tranny fluid I found out it was overfilled by ~ 1.8 quart. I have full record from dealer about my LS and there is nothing about transmission service so I guess it was driving like this from the beginning and drove 75k miles. I put the correct amount and it's all good after 11k miles

Last edited by berezleon; 05-13-16 at 04:43 PM. Reason: mistkake
Old 05-13-16, 05:17 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

I think you should be fine. If you look up to the thread I put it somewhere that I bought LS460 2007 last year and while changing tranny fluid I found out it was overfilled by ~ 1.8 quart. I have full record from dealer about my LS and there is nothing about transmission service so I guess it was driving like this from the beginning and drove 75k miles. I put the correct amount and it's all good after 11k miles
Incredible, they screwed this up at the factory? I wonder how many of these cars are driving around with the wrong fluid level in these transmissions. I didn't notice anything different with mine. Nothing. Shifted great.

Why oh why are manufacturers so infatuated with removing dipsticks from transmissions? Do they hate us that much? Ford had some issues with the Explorer years ago...under filled them at the factory and there was no dipstick to inspect the fluid level...trannies were failing early.

And part of the issue with the LS is that they want the fluid to come out in a "light stream". That's a bit subjective...certainly more subjective than...here fill it to this line on the dipstick. Whenever I do it I ask myself (and anyone standing near me), does this look like a light stream? Did it today to a guy standing under the thing with me...we both looked at each other before deciding what a "light stream" should look like. They actually do illustrate a drawing of a light stream in the service procedures, but still?? Give me a dipstick!
Old 05-13-16, 05:37 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

The fluid could have been changed by any number of independents or franchise oil change outfits without any record. If they aren't using Techstream to do the fluid change (I know, I know), then overfilling or under filling is a risk.
Old 05-13-16, 07:18 PM
berezleon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Incredible, they screwed this up at the factory? I wonder how many of these cars are driving around with the wrong fluid level in these transmissions. I didn't notice anything different with mine
I am not sure how such overfill happened but I doubt it happened at the factory. One guy told me when dealer receives car from the factory they re-check all the fluids before selling. Maybe they just fill it "enough" and don't bother with checking thru the software etc.

There is no dipstick probably because by lexus it's 'lifetime fluid' and should not be serviced at all so we are not expected to go there ) I changed mine for peace of mind but honestly I think the fluid that was there looked very good and color was not different from new one. Filter looked good as well --I only say "good" from visible point of view, no other test of course was done; I don't regret I did it but I won't go there for at least another 40-50k in case I drive that much on this LS

As for the "light stream of fluid" -- I think its all approximation and you shouldn't worry too much. If you look at other dipstick the diff between min and max is about an inch, maybe more, so on a flat bottom pan that inch is about 1 quarter so 1 quarter more or less doesn't matter. The matter is there is enough fluid to be sucked into the filter while car is at the different angles --as you can see 1.8 more quart didn't do any harm to my LS
Old 05-13-16, 07:23 PM
berezleon
Driver School Candidate

The fluid could have been changed by any number of independents or franchise oil change outfits without any record. If they aren't using Techstream to do the fluid change (I know, I know), then overfilling or under filling is a risk.
Could be but not likely in my case because it's one owner car (I am the 2nd one) and looking at the records seems previous owner only went to dealer --he did everything there, even came there to change tires and blade wipers, not talking about oil change etc. I doubt he went to some other mechanics to serve the transmission.

What most kills me is the guy drove 100k car for 8 years while it was "pulling right" (that's not related to transmission fluid)--> in case you familiar with such common problem on these cars.... Boy, pay 100k and drive 8 years the car that pulling right worse than any car from junk yard... That's really sad
Old 05-14-16, 04:16 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

I am not sure how such overfill happened but I doubt it happened at the factory. One guy told me when dealer receives car from the factory they re-check all the fluids before selling. Maybe they just fill it "enough" and don't bother with checking thru the software etc.

There is no dipstick probably because by lexus it's 'lifetime fluid' and should not be serviced at all so we are not expected to go there ) I changed mine for peace of mind but honestly I think the fluid that was there looked very good and color was not different from new one. Filter looked good as well --I only say "good" from visible point of view, no other test of course was done; I don't regret I did it but I won't go there for at least another 40-50k in case I drive that much on this LS

As for the "light stream of fluid" -- I think its all approximation and you shouldn't worry too much. If you look at other dipstick the diff between min and max is about an inch, maybe more, so on a flat bottom pan that inch is about 1 quarter so 1 quarter more or less doesn't matter. The matter is there is enough fluid to be sucked into the filter while car is at the different angles --as you can see 1.8 more quart didn't do any harm to my LS
I changed mine the first time at 73,000 miles, it was a southern car (Florida) and the fluid was literally black. I thought...just great! My tranny is junk! Then I did some reading and apparently the WS fluid changes color pretty easily because of heat - still I wasn't exactly feeling comfortable.

I changed it again 40k miles later - to get a look at the fluid I had put in - and it was as red and clean. And the fluid I had to drain out of it yesterday looked like it was brand new.

I think 60,000 miles will be my "sweet spot" regarding drain and fills on this car. I'm a bit of an "over maintain" type of guy, so I probably will do it sooner because I'm weird like that.
Old 05-14-16, 08:55 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

There is no dipstick probably because by lexus it's 'lifetime fluid' and should not be serviced at all
That's actually not true. ONLY the US market says the fluid is lifetime. Every other market (including mine here in Canada), REQUIRES regular fluid changes every 60k miles or so (I forget the exact figure). I posted a pic of my maintenance schedule here because of this debate. This same debate raged at the Bimmerfest forums regarding BMW 7 series cars with the ZF transmission. They were sealed as well, and BMW said "lifetime" fluid. However, after a few years, they revised this and required regular fluid changes, after pressure from the transmission manufacturer who denied that they're trannys were "lifetime fluid". MB and a few other manufacturers also revised their positions and made regular fluid changes a part of their schedules. I would call it a failed experiment. What is "lifetime" anyway? My lifetime? The lifetime of the car? The lifetime of the transmission to the point of where it fails?

Last edited by roadfrog; 05-14-16 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-14-16, 03:18 PM
retlex
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are 2 pics of the fluid in my transmission at 10k compared to new fluid. I think that the comments that the heat turns this fluid dark early is an interesting point. Transmission sounds great and shifts perfect.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone change/flush transmission fluid themselves?-img_1306.jpg   Anyone change/flush transmission fluid themselves?-img_1309.jpg  
Old 05-14-16, 05:11 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by retlex
Here are 2 pics of the fluid in my transmission at 10k compared to new fluid. I think that the comments that the heat turns this fluid dark early is an interesting point. Transmission sounds great and shifts perfect.
I'll take the darker one on the right. I like my wine a little more "earthy" and dark with a hint of blackberries and plums on the palate.

Quick Reply: Anyone change/flush transmission fluid themselves?