LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone change/flush transmission fluid themselves?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-15, 07:10 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by berezleon
There are 3 bolts/plugs on the transmission that involve this process --one big bolt (24 m) on the side of the tranny thru which someone adds new fluid when necessary. 2 bolts are on the pan --one to drain pan completely and another one for checking the fluid level. I am not sure why you say "at temp without the tool" --I have both ways to check the temp --with tool and with techstream. And if you open drain plug then temperature doesn't matter --it would drain all pan fluid which is about 3 liters
Ok I can now see that you did it right and I stand corrected. I watched the video once more and got a better understanding of of the Toyota service tool an it's rational being that you can adjust the straw based on the temperature so you waste less time for the procedure from a service point of view. .
Now that I know how it's to be done it's not that hard as I thought as long as you check the level at the right temperature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNcecuGzTDg#t=280

Last edited by Devh; 07-24-15 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-24-15, 07:33 PM
berezleon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
Ok I can now see that you did it right and I stand corrected. I watched the video once more and got a better understanding of of the Toyota service tool an it's rational being that you can adjust the straw based on the temperature so you waste less time for the procedure from a service point of view. .
Now that I know how it's to be done it's not that hard as I thought as long as you check the level at the right temperature.

The video you refer to --it's not for LS460 --it has just one bolt on the pan with a straw. For the LS460 there is no straw--there are simply two different bolts on the pan -- pan drain bolt 14mm and check/level adjust bolt which is hex 5mm. You can see it here for LS430 --absolutely the same. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...iy-w-pics.html --you can see in the images there are 2 bolts on the pan. The only difference between LS430 and LS460 is temperature at which you set the level --for 430 it's somewhere 115-130 and for LS460 it's 95 to 115 degree I believe--I can double check

P.S ops, the link I refered to is for GS--but it's exactly the same what you see in LS460
Old 07-25-15, 04:14 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks for the link, it was very helpful.
It doesn't appear to be that hard at all as long as you can monitor fluid temps.
I'm going to do this at 100k.
Old 07-25-15, 05:46 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Thank's for confirming! I bought LS460 2007 two months ago and slowly changing all fluids, filters etc on it. I actually dropped pan, changed filter and gasket --before doing i exercised how to measure correct fluid temperature by shorting ODB2 connector PINs and activate temperature mode and also by using techstreams --all was pretty easy. I also measured the amount of oil I drained from the pan and it was around 4.7 liters!!! It was too much and I couldn't rely anymore on "put back exactly what you drain". So installed new filter, gasket, put the pan back and filled with 3.5 liters of WS fluid. Now, by measuring the level my mistake was I did it with correct temperature but with engine off (getting older, forgetting the rules). Out of 3.5 liters 2 came back thru the "check" plug and I was confused. Just to be kind of safe I added some fluid making "Pan change" to be 3.8 liters while AllData says 2.8-3.2 liters. I knew it's not a good way and I was looking for hints what I did wrong. Half day later I realized "what a dumb -it's transmission, engine of course should be running". I posted here and today morning did all things again --warmed up the transmission and opened the "check" plug with engine running --the amount that came out was about 1 liter i.e. "Pan/drain removal refill" came to about 2.8 liters --exactly up to spec. Not sure why so many people scared about such fluid change -- i don't see anything super special about it-just follow the instructions )))

P.S. I am 2nd owner of the LS460 and I see that the previous owner did everything at dealer --all oil changes, wiper blade changes, tires change etc etc and in records of what was done there is no mentioning about transmission work. Could the transmission be overfilled by the manufacture? I don't think so. Could the previous owner serviced transmission somewhere else and not by dealer? I doubt it... I bet it's dealer work -- it's not the first time I see them trying to silently screw something so you come back. Doing alignment on my previous LS430 they said "they have to check all fluid and filters".
Though I was insisting "don't touch anything, just do the alignment" they somehow disconnected hose that goes to air filter box --2 days later "check engine" came on and inittally I couldn't relate it to visiting "dealer for alignment". techstream showed something like air leak (5 years ago) and somehow I found the hose lying disconnectred. I was "how it could get off"??? Impossible. Put it back cleared the code and couple hours later "remembered dealer alignment + full check". Never ever since then check engine was on. ]

Now did transmission work myself, fluid amount matches the spec, car drives fines, transmission not overheating and I am more satisfied then if it was done by dealer and i would be just "blind"
Good for you, I did the same thing...dropped the pan, filter, replaced the gasket and went through the warm up procedure by jumping the pins at the data link connector, etc.

It took me a couple times to get it right, that's why I wouldn't suggest people doing it - yeah it's not too difficult - but I just didn't want to be responsible for people doing it wrong and frying their transmission. Sounds like you know what you're doing. I can easily see why a dealer could screw this up and here's why...techs rush, they cut corners because the faster they go the more they get paid, many of them I'm sure don't want to be bothered getting this thing to temp, hooking up tech stream, waiting, getting it hot, getting back under it with it running hot, checking it, heaven forbid having to undo that bolt on the side of the transmission and getting the pump in there to add more. It's a royal pain in terms of goo fast and doing "simple service". Now I fully believe 90% of them can do it right, but I'd be willing to bet a lot of them just put a little extra in there to save themselves the trouble of checking the level. I'm sure they all know how much to add for different services...drain and fill, flush, pan drop. It's all about speed and making money. And I can't blame them.
Old 07-25-15, 06:19 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Devh

Personally I think this tool looks like a royal pain in the ***, but maybe if you've used it a bunch of times it isn't so bad. I know on the LS it's pretty damn tight to get to that fill bolt on the side of the transmission because the exhaust is right there. I couldn't fit a socket up there to get it out, I had to use the box end of a wrench and even then it was pretty tight.

Do you have tech stream? If not then you are going to need the procedures to get the vehicle in the correct temp check mode. Aside from jumping the connectors there is also a procedure that involves moving the shifter through a sequence - I can't remember it exactly - but it was something like...neutral, drive, 1234, back to drive, cycle between neutral and drive 7 times, back to park. And wait for the indicator on the dash type of thing. Lol. AC has to be off too. You'll need the directions, if you have all data, it's there. If not you can find it online with a little digging. If you can't find it let me know.
Old 07-25-15, 06:50 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,302 Likes on 1,005 Posts

I was under the impression that only a FULL change of fluid required the shifting, etc. As a simple drain and refill didn't empty the "upper" workings of the transmission. Am I wrong?
Old 07-25-15, 07:01 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by swfla
I was under the impression that only a FULL change of fluid required the shifting, etc. As a simple drain and refill didn't empty the "upper" workings of the transmission. Am I wrong?
Right, if you just pull the drain plug, measure the amount you removed and put back the same amount, you shouldn't have to worry about anything. However if you remove the pan, the filter, etc, you really lose track of how much fluid you take out, so you have to properly check the level, which requires the shifting sequence (if you don't have tech stream).
Old 07-25-15, 09:13 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Again, for 150 bucks or so, why not just let Toyota do this job? That price even includes the fluid. Just not worth a DIY IMHO. And if anything goes wrong, Toyota will be responsible. This job and the brake flush is best left to the dealer. An hour sitting in the dealership sipping their free cappuccinos, seems like a good deal to me.
Old 07-25-15, 09:41 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,302 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Again, for 150 bucks or so, why not just let Toyota do this job? That price even includes the fluid. Just not worth a DIY IMHO. And if anything goes wrong, Toyota will be responsible. This job and the brake flush is best left to the dealer. An hour sitting in the dealership sipping their free cappuccinos, seems like a good deal to me.
I agree completely. I did my first drain and fill at Toyota for $120. Car's running smoothly and I plan another visit soon. It takes a few times to dilute the old fluid with new. Very simple hassle free way to perform preventive maintenance.
Old 07-25-15, 09:42 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Right and I agree, except...a flush doesn't change the filter/gasket (weather that's important or not is debatable, but the LS 460 does not use the traditional metal screen type they normally use). Your price - the $150.00, which includes fluid, is not going to happen in most places around the U.S. - where you live it seems like you have much better prices on services and fluids. Some people warn against transmission flushes, they feel it "shocks" the system and prefer a slower approach in drain and fills (personally I think it's fine if done correctly and on a car with under 100k). I would also have a slight concern with someone doing the flush wrong...not doing it fully...putting too much in...not tightening the lines up after service...using the wrong fluid....using cleaning additives, etc. These things do happen, believe me.

So if it's done right...if it's done by a reputable place where I know they are doing it, and doing it right, then yeah. But the problem with these trannies is that you can't check to see how the fluid looks - believe it or not there are places that screw people over, knowing they can't check to see if the fluid was changed...or that the level is right. It sounds like you have found a great place that you can trust and do your repairs right. And I'm sure most places are fine, but for me, it cost me around $110.00 for all the fluid and the filter/gasket set.
Old 07-25-15, 09:44 AM
berezleon
Driver School Candidate

Lexus in Bellevue WA quoted me for $500 for transmission work--whatever is the quote I won't trust them they did the job -- they might do nothing and you won't be able to prove anything. For $150 I doubt they change the filter --they just change 3 qt of fluid ($30.00) and leave ~ 120.00 as their hourly rate.

And don't be so naïve "Toyota will be responsible"--responsible for what? If something goes wrong with transmission even 3 days later after the service they will say "We did the service but why transmission failed we don't know, we didn't break it--you simply have bad transmission" and I doubt you can prove anything.

My sister came to Lex dealer just to get a new Navigation DVD. She paid, they installed new DVD and DVD couldn't read the disc. They inserted her original DVD and it didn't read as well. They took car to their service and hour later they stated "you nav doesn't work. you need new nav at $1500". They didn't want to hear anything they messed something up --"we didn't break it, we just changed DVD, it's not hour fault". Eventually, after my sister escaled this to everyone at that bs dealer they took car back to the service, did something (I believe they reset the nav) and navigation worked again and she drove away
Old 07-25-15, 09:56 AM
berezleon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Personally I think this tool looks like a royal pain in the ***, but maybe if you've used it a bunch of times it isn't so bad. I know on the LS it's pretty damn tight to get to that fill bolt on the side of the transmission because the exhaust is right there. I couldn't fit a socket up there to get it out, I had to use the box end of a wrench and even then it was pretty tight.

Do you have tech stream? If not then you are going to need the procedures to get the vehicle in the correct temp check mode. Aside from jumping the connectors there is also a procedure that involves moving the shifter through a sequence - I can't remember it exactly - but it was something like...neutral, drive, 1234, back to drive, cycle between neutral and drive 7 times, back to park. And wait for the indicator on the dash type of thing. Lol. AC has to be off too. You'll need the directions, if you have all data, it's there. If not you can find it online with a little digging. If you can't find it let me know.
About the refill 24 bolt --I was able to remove it (not fun) but lying under the car and pumping it in that remote hole is even more difficult. I just put 24mm bolt back and pumped in new fluid thru the check plug; just pushed the pump hose to the hole and it stuck there for a while (probably stuck to the internal thread). It was little bit messy but still much easier than to deal with 24mm bolt because I did the procedure 4 times with each exchange doing for about 3 quart; it would be nightmare to pump 12 quarts thru the designated plug.
Old 07-25-15, 01:48 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

About the refill 24 bolt --I was able to remove it (not fun) but lying under the car and pumping it in that remote hole is even more difficult. I just put 24mm bolt back and pumped in new fluid thru the check plug; just pushed the pump hose to the hole and it stuck there for a while (probably stuck to the internal thread). It was little bit messy but still much easier than to deal with 24mm bolt because I did the procedure 4 times with each exchange doing for about 3 quart; it would be nightmare to pump 12 quarts thru the designated plug.
Interesting, didn't know you could do it that way. As for me the plug was a bear to take out, but pumping it in was easy...maybe the easiest part of the job for me, but then again I was using a lift and wasn't on my back. If I was on my back this whole job is messy and difficult. Glad it worked out for you!
Old 07-25-15, 03:29 PM
berezleon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Interesting, didn't know you could do it that way. As for me the plug was a bear to take out, but pumping it in was easy...maybe the easiest part of the job for me, but then again I was using a lift and wasn't on my back. If I was on my back this whole job is messy and difficult. Glad it worked out for you!
I didn't know too I could do it too ) I have a couple of pumps and the one I wanted to use (the same as for the Lexus GS link I posted above --the one that goes directly to the fluid can) because it would be more precise measure since pump itself takes almost no fluid. The hose was kind of short for 24mm hole to reach so I had to lie on my back, keep fluid can in the air and pump. Those acrobatic exercise probably not for me so I just pushed the hose to the 5mm hole and it fit almost perfectly --i.e. it didn't let fluid go down to the floor (between the thread and the hose) but allowed to pump in. It worked pretty well. It's the same fluid circulating thru the system so it doesn't matter thru which hole to pump it in.
Old 07-25-15, 07:28 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

I didn't know too I could do it too ) I have a couple of pumps and the one I wanted to use (the same as for the Lexus GS link I posted above --the one that goes directly to the fluid can) because it would be more precise measure since pump itself takes almost no fluid. The hose was kind of short for 24mm hole to reach so I had to lie on my back, keep fluid can in the air and pump. Those acrobatic exercise probably not for me so I just pushed the hose to the 5mm hole and it fit almost perfectly --i.e. it didn't let fluid go down to the floor (between the thread and the hose) but allowed to pump in. It worked pretty well. It's the same fluid circulating thru the system so it doesn't matter thru which hole to pump it in.
Good to know, I'll do it that way next time because I don't want to remove that plug on the side again.

Quick Reply: Anyone change/flush transmission fluid themselves?